Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:29 AM

40 posts, read 302,540 times

Advertisements

Are there any pretty GREEN - preferably mountainous for the cool weather - parts of AZ?

...within reasonable commuting distance of a hospital - I am a nurse...

I was thinking Flagstaff but almost everything I've read says that Flagstaff is expensive and unfriendly- is that the only greenish (and snowy, woohoo!) area of the state?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 07:25 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,270,283 times
Here's a link to a map of AZ climate zones. About half the state is cold in the winter.

cals.arizona.edu/gardening/climate/azonemap.html

Old 07-07-2007, 12:20 PM

105 posts, read 446,335 times
Flagstaff Medical Center is the biggest hospital in Arizona where alot of snow is present. (Flagstaff is the 8th snowiest city in the US; averages about 100" of snow each year. I think the next snowiest would be Navapache Regional Medical Center in Show Low. I believe it is in the process of expanding. It is about an hour from Sunrise Ski Resort; which doesn't have as many problems with ice and snow blowing off as Snowbowl near Flag does. There is also a small one in Williams and in Springerville-Eagar. Around Flagstaff-Williams and around the White Mountains are the only two areas I consider to get a decent amount of snow with a hospital around. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon gets a lot of snow, but no hospital that I'm aware of. Prescott and Sedona also have good size hospitals but less snow. Some links below:

Williams Health Care Center - Banner Health
301 E. 7th Street
Williams, Arizona 86046
Telephone
928-635-4441
http://www.bannerhealth.com/Locations/Arizona

Navapache Regional Medical Center (apparently now called Summit Healthcare Regional Medical Center) Show Low, AZ
Navapache Regional Medical Center - Show Low, AZ

Springerville, AZ
White Mountain Regional Medical Center

Old 07-07-2007, 12:22 PM

105 posts, read 446,335 times
Forgot to mention. Flagstaff has more majestic scenery; the White Mountains have less of impressive peak views but have more streams and lakes, and a larger continuous green-ness.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:14 AM

4 posts, read 21,169 times
I am a nurse living in flagstaff and I will agree that the cost of housing here is expensive, but in no way is the town unfriendly! I have lived in many areas of the country and I can tell you that Flagstaff is a very friendly town with a great feel. It has a wonderful downtown with lots of character, a great hospital (I work there), and plenty of activities for kids and families.

Prescott is also a "green" area but no snow. I would not work for the hospital in that area myself, but I am sure there are plenty of other types of nursing jobs there.
The only other area to consider, as previously mentioned is the white mountain area. Showlow and Pinetop are the biggest towns in the white mountains. The forest there are greener than Flagstaff, more snow, less people. The towns don't have the community feel and character like flagstaff. No real downtowns, just strip malls.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:22 AM

27,354 posts, read 27,407,146 times
This is Arizona. Land of desert and cactus. BUT....I think that the mountainous regions are going to be the only areas where you'll find green, very few places otherwise have it. Some people just dont want it because they dont want to maintain grass lawns, some people cant have it for one reason or other, or in many cases, green just doesnt grow in the desert.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 AM

343 posts, read 553,018 times
Payson has a hospital, elevation 5000 ft, but it too is a small town compared to Flagstaff.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 AM

11 posts, read 41,158 times
Dont move to Springerville/Eagar area if your not into small towns. I grew up there and yes it is beautiful it snows and is green. Also the fall is amazing but pretty much everybody knows your business and well there arent any major businesses there. I think its just way too small. Also my family worked at the hospital most my life and from what I heard its not the place to work. The hospital is small and was having financial trouble in 2003. I dont know about now but thats when we moved and my mom quit her job there. Anyway Showlow is also small but its growing and has open spaces and a good hospital from what I've heard. Again its small so I would do research but its where every one in Springerville would go cloths shopping and go to the wall mart because believe it or not springerville doesnt have one.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:56 PM

53 posts, read 212,028 times
Default Green Areas

Check out Sierra Vista and any place north like Prescott or Williams

Old 10-23-2007, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 11,665 times
Default Showlow

I would tend to agree that Showlow has a lot of green, snow and beautiful summers! Good big city shopping is 3 hours away, the hospital pays pretty well, plus parts of it are pretty new and nice. I like small towns, thus, I liked living in that area-Pinetop is known for being a great school district, that is Blue Ridge school district I think......good luck with your search! I got a great start on my career up in the mountains!

Terry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona