Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:27 PM

31 posts, read 50,277 times

Advertisements

We plan on retiring to AZ later this year. We've done some research on anticipated costs--mortgage interest rates, gas $, RE taxes. However, we haven't yet found info on sales taxes on consumables, ie: food by type, taxes on pension income, SS, Military pension, etc. Although we will make our home in AZ, my bean-counter wife would like to plan our expenses as best as possible.
Any factual help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
Food isnt taxed and either is SS. There is an income tax on pensions. If you really want to escape taxes move into one of the approximately 16 age restricted communities like Sun City where they pay no school taxes. I live in a non-age restricted community that is almost entirely retirees and we pay school taxes. If I was in Sun City my taxes would be about $800 less per year. If your wife is a real bean counter she might be interested in one of the Sun Cities. Not all of the age restricted communities are exempt from school taxes so you will have to look close. Some of the communities are gated and then if grandchildren come to visit you have to deal with rules. As an example kids like to swim in pools but an age restricted community might only allow kids for two hours a day.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Figure 9-10% sales tax on everything - 2% on food though some of the cities exempt food. The one that puts a dagger in the hearts of most newbies, though, is vehicle registration. It can run about 500 bucks a year for a new car and several thousand for a motorhome.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
There is a lot of sales tax in this state. It seems to be broken up into state, county city, or something like that. I believe it is 2nd only to Tennessee the highest sales taxed state. I have paid sales tax on groceries in parts of the Metro Phoenix. I think it was Phoenix itself. Not all communities tax groceries. Car registration is expensive. There is income tax which I found strange because of how high the sales taxes are. For a state with such a high retiree population I would expect more. Meaning there are really no breaks here on your pension. It will be taxed but your SS will not. The school tax that is correct. Many retirees in the retirement communities do not pay it. I live in one but I don't own. Until I lived here I never heard of not paying taxes to fund schools. That was a new one for me. I paid them all the years I did own a home. So I don't know how the schools make up for lost tax revenue in this state, but I know Arizona is near the bottom of the list for schools in this country. Rather sad.

I've only been here since Sept. Truthfully other than the housing, prop tax, ins. I don't think its such a cheap place. Utilities are a constant and they are expenisive. You have to budget a lot more than $100 a month for electricity. I had no idea I would be using heat this much here in winter. It's not that it is fridgid cold, its some of these houses are not insulated very well. The indoor temp will match the outdoor temp really fast in older homes here without the required heat. I'm talking 30 year old homes. Which to me is not an old home, but here it is considered old.

I don't blame your wife for looking at the whole picture. People should there is a lot more to consider than cheaper housing in a new location. Because of the massive size and lack of transit in this particular Metro. You will drive and you will drive a lot. That means gas and lots of it. You are at the mercy of the gas stations and the current price. I think all this gas and maintenance on a vehicle is a huge cost to add to ones budget.

So do look at the overall costs. Personally I think there are cheaper places to live. Places that don't involve all this driving in this car centric dusty environment. Of course you might not want to live in the cheaper alternatives. If you ever consider other areas on cost savings for retirees. Georgia allows some 30,000 in income tax deductions for retirees. I believe it is rated very high for retirees who's prime consideration is tax deductible income.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:37 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Taxes and Cost of Living expenses are a "depends on where you're from" type of thing, ReconJohn.

I relocated to Tucson from California back in the mid 90's and taxes, including Sales Taxes, Income Taxes, Property Taxes and Vehicle Registration Fees were significantly lower. From what I understand the differences are even greater now than 15 plus years ago.

Also, utilities, insurance and gasoline are all considerably less expensive.

Being from Wisconsin, you will also save on Heating Bills in the Winter not to mention Bug Spray in the Spring, Summer and Fall.

! ! ! ! ! !

Good Luck on your Retirement Relocation.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,669 times
Default mo to az

I single with two kids on with special needs, is AZ a place where you can start over? Or is it hard to get a job and desent school with a nice reseasonable priced place to live? NEED HELP

Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youtamwright View Post
I single with two kids on with special needs, is AZ a place where you can start over? Or is it hard to get a job and desent school with a nice reseasonable priced place to live? NEED HELP
It's tough here with jobs, but not impossible. Times have been tough here since the economy took a dive. You can find apartments and condos with 2 bedrooms from $500 to $900 a month. You can rent a house for around $1000 a month. Do your homework on school districts, Madison in Central PHX is good.

No way to sugar coat it, it's hot as hell for 5-6 months of the year, nice the rest of the time.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:59 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Figure 9-10% sales tax on everything - 2% on food though some of the cities exempt food. The one that puts a dagger in the hearts of most newbies, though, is vehicle registration. It can run about 500 bucks a year for a new car and several thousand for a motorhome.
I wonder if someone moved to Arizona but were using their brothers car that was registered in IL, could they get away with not paying the 500 dollar registration fee? And say they drive back and forth to IL several times a year, I don't see how a person could be ticketed if the car was registered to an Illinois address. Opinions?

Old 03-16-2013, 07:32 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I wonder if someone moved to Arizona but were using their brothers car that was registered in IL, could they get away with not paying the 500 dollar registration fee? And say they drive back and forth to IL several times a year, I don't see how a person could be ticketed if the car was registered to an Illinois address. Opinions?
That ain't nice. They use al the nice interstates and highways, these fly overs don't grow by itself. But then not paying for it, cheap....

I

Old 03-17-2013, 05:54 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
I'm not saying if I ever moved to Arizona I would try it. I'm just wondering if one had a willing family member to "lend" them their name for title and registration purposes, could one get away with it? Registration in Illinois is 100 a year. So after ten years that would be a savings of 400x10 years=4000$

Just wondering!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona