Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times

Advertisements

I'm sure some of the hotels have "fitness centers". I'm not asking or interested in a few treadmills and machines. I'd like to know if there's any rec center like a college might have or at the level of say a LA Fitness. Hardcore gyms would also be acceptable but I doubt any of those exist. I need me some free weights and a power rack.

Just trying to see if there's any place where I'll be able to lift weights or if I'll have to try and put something together myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 08:52 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
I doubt very much that there's anything up there like that. People don't go to the Grand Canyon to go to the gym, and the resident population is pretty small (and many of them not needing or wanting a gym membership) to support such a business.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM

There are schools there including a high school. Perhaps the high school gym acts as a community rec center and has some sort of weight room?

Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,641 times
It's a very rural area, sparsely populated. The Grand Canyon is one of the greatest wonders of creation. Surely you can make do with strenuous cardio by hiking in lieu of weights and a power rack for a few days.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:53 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
can't access this from work ... but there is a rec center there

although it doesn't sound like they are tourist friendly

https://www.facebook.com/GrandCanyonRec

Or you could drive down to Williams - I would imagine they would have something

Old 06-18-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
It's a very rural area, sparsely populated. The Grand Canyon is one of the greatest wonders of creation. Surely you can make do with strenuous cardio by hiking in lieu of weights and a power rack for a few days.
...I'm not going for a few days I'm potentially taking a full time job there (not seasonal). Assumptions are fun aren't they.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
can't access this from work ... but there is a rec center there

although it doesn't sound like they are tourist friendly

https://www.facebook.com/GrandCanyonRec

Or you could drive down to Williams - I would imagine they would have something
Thanks for the link! I looked at some of the photos, looks like a fun group though not seeing any weights. I'll get in contact with them though.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
...I'm not going for a few days I'm potentially taking a full time job there (not seasonal). Assumptions are fun aren't they.
It's not easy to help people who fail to provide relevant details in their initial inquiries. People get better responses when they provide sufficient information when posting. It's still a very rural area, but at least it appears you have one option.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
It's not easy to help people who fail to provide relevant details in their initial inquiries. People get better responses when they provide sufficient information when posting. It's still a very rural area, but at least it appears you have one option.
There is nothing relevant about my duration of stay. Its a simple "yes" or "no" question... hopefully with "yes" also giving the name of the facility. Duration is completely irrelevant but you made an assumption and then told me quite rudely (prefacing it with "Surely") to make do with cardio. This question wasn't about cardio and it really makes no difference if I'm going for a few days or the rest of my life. I'm asking about weights and you answered to go outside.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:40 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,965 times
My thoughts tend toward becoming friendly with the firefighters, either the wildland fire crew or the structural fire crews. They usually have a good selection of equipment and maybe they would allow outsiders in to use there equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona