Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:12 AM

9 posts, read 21,352 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm looking to move soon(1-3 months), and debating between Arizona and Arkansas right now(Currently in Southeast Georgia). If Arizona, NOT big city(ie. Phoenix, Tuscan), nor Yuma( previously lived inYuma, and its way to hot and dry). My parents are In Green Valley, which is why I'm thinking Arizona...Sahuarita is a little hot still for me(but possibly bearable).

Would love Sedona, but out of price range of a soon to be single mom.

Thought about Show Low, but heard its got the "res mentality" ( I've extended stayed on two reservations in my younger years so, Im talking about the not taking care of our property part, since its been given to them...(otherwise usually very friendly, and welcoming)).

Would like a slightly "greener area" (I know its no Washington!) which I know narrows it down to a little higher elevation, (Flagstaff gets too cold), dont mind a little snow In the winter, nor a little extra heat for a month or so of summer, just not 5 months of it. Would like to have a couple chickens In my yard, and Love a good farmers market fairly close( less then an hour drive)....with actual local grown fruits and vegis, unlike where I currently am that mostly bought from overseas!?!!

Also, would like a good school district, oldest will be starting high school, and would love to start working on college credits. A good AP/gifted program/classes would be nice....

I can homeschool youngest if elementary schools arent that great, so not so worried about that.

Lets see, job wise....I havent "worked" for almost 15 years(stay-at-home mom), previously worked in retail, and waitressing...fine with either of those, can also do housekeeping type work. Any of those are pretty much anywhere, just a matter of being given a chance without recent "work history"!

Would like more of a family friendly area, would like walking/hiking/fishing/nature fairly close by, 20-30 minutes maybe (maybe year round river or lake).

Hmmmm....cant think of anything else to add!

Oh, while my hometown is rather liberal, and "open"...I'm Not interested in being in a heavily gay/lesbian neighborhood, didnt really have a problem with them until they [language] my almost 15 year marriage(ok so maybe its his fault, but I can blame who I want to for now!)

Ok....Go!!

Last edited by observer53; 04-13-2014 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 08:37 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
The only place that comes to mind is the Prescott area, and I haven't heard anything about AP/gifted classes in their high schools.

And, it's "Tucson" by the way, not "Tuscan".

Old 04-13-2014, 09:13 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,401 times
They like to change everything....

I would go with Sahuarita, south of it it is a lot greener. It is called Green Valley for a reason. Nice and quiet.

Arkansas... If you like insects, it is a great place to be....

Old 04-13-2014, 10:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
[personal, baiting] I'd stick with AR. I think you'll find more like-minded people there.

Last edited by observer53; 04-13-2014 at 04:56 PM..

Old 04-13-2014, 03:30 PM

9 posts, read 21,352 times
Quote:
"I would go with Sahuarita, south of it it is a lot greener. It is called Green Valley for a reason. Nice and quiet.

Arkansas... If you like insects, it is a great place to be....""
I dont know if I'd say "alot" greener....but I can see that for Arizona it would be considered greener!

Have you been to Arkansas before? Would love to hear from someone whos lived in both states before... I briefly passed through years ago, so cant remember how the bugs are. However comming from the insect infested Southeast swampy Georgia, that is one of the things I'm trying to get away from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The only place that comes to mind is the Prescott area, and I haven't heard anything about AP/gifted classes in their high schools.

And, it's "Tucson" by the way, not "Tuscan".

Prescott was another one I was looking into....guess I'll have to look more into the schools!
Tucson....I dont know how many times I looked at It thinking something didnt look quite right, must of been thinking in Italian or something!!! Lol

Anyone know much about Vail?

Old 04-13-2014, 04:55 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Please DO NOT get into a discussion of the off topic part of the OP's last sentence.

On the topic, the OP is unlikely to find any area fitting that description anywhere outside of Phoenix or Tucson, where she is not interested in living anyway.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:34 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,327 times
Honestly, if you really want a greener area that isn't too expensive or too cold you might have a tough search in Arizona. Arkansas is pretty much what you're looking for all over. I've passed through and from what I saw it seemed more suited to your criteria. I'd vote Arizona personally because I think it's the most beautiful place on Earth but if you want green, cheap, good schools, fresh produce, small town, all in one package, I'd say Prescott or Payson, sorta, but job wise they aren't much. Arkansas or the Southeast in general seems like what you're looking for.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:37 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times
My main reason for choosing AZ over AR would be the humidity in summer. Since you're from GA you already know how to handle that. I'm mainly familiar with the Ouachitas in SW AR. Very beautiful country.

There are several "greener" places in AZ. Still drier than AR but greener than what I'm used to. SE AZ has places like you described. But hotter in the summer, drier too. Look at the Safford, Clifton-Morenci, Wilcox and Sierra Vista areas.

I think the problem you will have is the jobs may not be as easy to find nor pay as much. I've lived in several places around the state. Enjoyed them all from Show Low in the winter, to Casa Grande in the summer. But I moved to and stayed in the Phoenix area 'cause that's where my best employment opportunities are.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:21 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
OP, sounds like Arkansas fits your criteria to a tee.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:15 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelleoN1234 View Post
Ok, so I'm looking to move soon(1-3 months), and debating between Arizona and Arkansas right now(Currently in Southeast Georgia). If Arizona, NOT big city(ie. Phoenix, Tuscan), nor Yuma( previously lived inYuma, and its way to hot and dry). My parents are In Green Valley, which is why I'm thinking Arizona...Sahuarita is a little hot still for me(but possibly bearable).

Would love Sedona, but out of price range of a soon to be single mom.

Thought about Show Low, but heard its got the "res mentality" ( I've extended stayed on two reservations in my younger years so, Im talking about the not taking care of our property part, since its been given to them...(otherwise usually very friendly, and welcoming)).

Would like a slightly "greener area" (I know its no Washington!) which I know narrows it down to a little higher elevation, (Flagstaff gets too cold), dont mind a little snow In the winter, nor a little extra heat for a month or so of summer, just not 5 months of it. Would like to have a couple chickens In my yard, and Love a good farmers market fairly close( less then an hour drive)....with actual local grown fruits and vegis, unlike where I currently am that mostly bought from overseas!?!!

Also, would like a good school district, oldest will be starting high school, and would love to start working on college credits. A good AP/gifted program/classes would be nice....

I can homeschool youngest if elementary schools arent that great, so not so worried about that.

Lets see, job wise....I havent "worked" for almost 15 years(stay-at-home mom), previously worked in retail, and waitressing...fine with either of those, can also do housekeeping type work. Any of those are pretty much anywhere, just a matter of being given a chance without recent "work history"!

Would like more of a family friendly area, would like walking/hiking/fishing/nature fairly close by, 20-30 minutes maybe (maybe year round river or lake).

Hmmmm....cant think of anything else to add!

Oh, while my hometown is rather liberal, and "open"...I'm Not interested in being in a heavily gay/lesbian neighborhood, didnt really have a problem with them until they [language] my almost 15 year marriage(ok so maybe its his fault, but I can blame who I want to for now!)

Ok....Go!!
Haven't read any of the responses so may repeat here but... It sounds to me like either Payson or Prescott would be just about perfect for you and your kids. Payson isn't quite as expensive and much smaller. One of the best ways to get to know any town/city...for me, anyway...is to read their online newspapers. You can learn a lot about their schools, businesses and the people who live there.

Since I never had kids in school in either place I really can't comment on those. I've had nieces and nephews go through the Payson school system and graduate high school. They seemed to turn out okay. As for work for you...either place as plenty of retail and restaurant work. It's what I've always done and have never had much trouble finding a job in either Payson or Prescott. Lived in Payson 14 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona