Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 PM

57 posts, read 173,371 times

Advertisements

Tour bus flips in Arizona flash flood, no one is injured
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 12:27 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
lmao. Yes it is great. We even have posted signs and people still want to think they can go through it....

Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,476,741 times
Then you read this article and discover according to the Bus company the driver did everything right. But the Bus was only 3 months old worth $600,000 dollars and a total loss. Took a rescuers a hour due to how remote it was.
Charges possible in tour bus accident - Kingman Daily Miner - Kingman, Arizona

Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Makes sense to me . . .

"The Stupid Motorist Law" was designed, and has become relatively successful, to reduce the burden on taxpayers when drivers arrogantly ignore warnings related to water filled washes.

Why should I, or any taxpayer, be responsible for thousands, possibly hundred of thousands of dollars to rescue some idiot who cannot read.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
I may be a good thing in such specific situations, but as a society I think we're getting a bit too much into the idea that people should have to pay for risky behavior they engage in. It gets taken to the point that many places forbid you from doing something based SOLELY on that you MIGHT get hurt & you would incur expense on other people for doing such. Taken to an extreme, I think it stifles the ability of people to enjoy an adventurous life--unless of course their insurance carrier covers it or they're rich enough.

Take Lake Patagonia for instance (near Patagonia AZ). When I lived in Tucson I used to love jumping off the rocks at "The Point," as did many other people, but guess what--they forbid it, because someone MIGHT get hurt. People would jump off anyway (I was too scared to do anything but the small ones, they'd do the high ones, I'm too afraid of heights to do that) & someone would look-out and if a park ranger was spotted, they'd yell "ranger" and stop jumping until the ranger left.

On the other hand, in Tucson (where I lived 1996-2006) Sabino Canyon, Milagrosa Canyon & Tanque Verde Falls/Redington Pass were places where I could go & adventure as I pleased, others would jump into the water. Despite occasional accidents occurring (at TVD/RP especially) requiring rescuing, they have never resorted to making it a "regulated" place where you're discouraged from engaging in adventure unless you have strong insurance or a bank account to pay for rescue. They do have the stupid motorist law for driving in washes, yes, but they haven't taken the fun out of those 3 places I mentioned, as they did with Lake Patagonia & other places.

It's something to think about--and the way, I never had to be rescued in any particular scenario.

LRH

Old 07-31-2013, 08:52 AM

451 posts, read 769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
"The Stupid Motorist Law" was designed, and has become relatively successful, to reduce the burden on taxpayers when drivers arrogantly ignore warnings related to water filled washes.

Why should I, or any taxpayer, be responsible for thousands, possibly hundred of thousands of dollars to rescue some idiot who cannot read.
And not only that, but what about the rescuers who put their lives on the line to save these idiots from their own stupidity? Personally, if it were up to me, I'd let natural selection take its course.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
And not only that, but what about the rescuers who put their lives on the line to save these idiots from their own stupidity? Personally, if it were up to me, I'd let natural selection take its course.
Excellent point.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:07 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,945 times
One time, I was watching the news and there was flood in one of streets in Phoenix, about 3 ft. The reporter was interested in how many people would attempt to drive through it. The water was up to door window and several cars were stuck but others drove through very slowly.

People do stupid things, they pay the consequences.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:47 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,727,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
I may be a good thing in such specific situations, but as a society I think we're getting a bit too much into the idea that people should have to pay for risky behavior they engage in. It gets taken to the point that many places forbid you from doing something based SOLELY on that you MIGHT get hurt & you would incur expense on other people for doing such. Taken to an extreme, I think it stifles the ability of people to enjoy an adventurous life--unless of course their insurance carrier covers it or they're rich enough.

Take Lake Patagonia for instance (near Patagonia AZ). When I lived in Tucson I used to love jumping off the rocks at "The Point," as did many other people, but guess what--they forbid it, because someone MIGHT get hurt. People would jump off anyway (I was too scared to do anything but the small ones, they'd do the high ones, I'm too afraid of heights to do that) & someone would look-out and if a park ranger was spotted, they'd yell "ranger" and stop jumping until the ranger left.

On the other hand, in Tucson (where I lived 1996-2006) Sabino Canyon, Milagrosa Canyon & Tanque Verde Falls/Redington Pass were places where I could go & adventure as I pleased, others would jump into the water. Despite occasional accidents occurring (at TVD/RP especially) requiring rescuing, they have never resorted to making it a "regulated" place where you're discouraged from engaging in adventure unless you have strong insurance or a bank account to pay for rescue. They do have the stupid motorist law for driving in washes, yes, but they haven't taken the fun out of those 3 places I mentioned, as they did with Lake Patagonia & other places.

It's something to think about--and the way, I never had to be rescued in any particular scenario.

LRH
Apples to oranges.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,156 times
They need another law called the "Stupid Hiker Law" which would hold all those nitwits from Michigan and Wisconsin financially accountable for hiking Camelback without water and sunscreen during mid day in July and subsequently having to get rescued by the fire department helicopter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona