Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 02:08 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,701,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
There are too many laws on the books to be enforce, so the authorities necessarily have to selectively enforce the laws that they feel are most important. Illegal hiking is apparently considered a serious crime? Give me a break. This is all about government flexing its muscles.
Actually, the National Park Police have a fairly long history of being thuggish towards just about anyone at any time. They aren't the guys who hand out passes at the park entrances, & give tours.. They're LEO's & they won't let you forget it if you encounter one..

Old 10-10-2013, 03:18 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,232,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
Hi guys.

Looking for Grand Canyon experts here.

I have a trip next week to GRCA that I've been planning for a long time, and am going anyway despite the shutdown.

What I am looking for is advice from people in the know as to the best way to enter the park and hike for a few days, while avoiding parking on National Park property, and avoiding having to go through the main gates/entrance stations.

Any thoughts? At this point I don't care what part of the canyon we see or anything. As long as we get some good hiking in and get to experience some part of the canyon.

Thanks in advance!
You may be in luck: Feds to let states pay to open parks

Old 10-10-2013, 03:41 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times
I would classify this as Civil Disobediance. The national parks belong to the people, not the government and the jack-booted park police. The park police must actually be spending MORE MONEY closing open air sites and maintaining roadblocks then they do when they are open. Complaints of overhanded tactics that park police are using, preventing tourists from leaving park hotels, etc, are starting to stack up on these closures.

Get a good map and walk in, be aware that you will be on your own in case of injury (as it should be), be aware of proper backcountry camping ethics in terms of waste and garbage. Leave a note with relatives or friends on your route.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:50 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
Hi guys.

Looking for Grand Canyon experts here.

I have a trip next week to GRCA that I've been planning for a long time, and am going anyway despite the shutdown.

What I am looking for is advice from people in the know as to the best way to enter the park and hike for a few days, while avoiding parking on National Park property, and avoiding having to go through the main gates/entrance stations.

Any thoughts? At this point I don't care what part of the canyon we see or anything. As long as we get some good hiking in and get to experience some part of the canyon.

Thanks in advance!
Good Idea but keep in mind when you get lost or injured the park police won't be looking for you. Make sure you can contact your friends so they can come rescue you.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:52 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,207,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
Sorry about the potential bummer you're facing. You may want to consider going to Havasupai Falls instead - it is in a Canyon that feeds into Grand Canyon National Park - can't see how they'd stop you from entering from a side canyon. However, you will have to camp on the reservation campground or stay in the lodge about a dozen miles from the GC entry point, and backpack in (you can also hire mules to carry your gear as far as the campground). It is one of the most scenic areas of the Grand Canyon, if not THE most scenic. For that reason, as well as the NP being closed, the campground may be booked up completely already.
Isn't Havasupai Falls on the Havasupai Reservation, and wouldn't access to that area for tourists be restricted/closed off due to the federal government shutdown, too?

Old 10-10-2013, 06:30 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,721,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Couple of ideas.

Get a map of Kaibab Nat'l Forest and look over the north section. There is quite a bit of canyon land that is not in the Nat'l park. If you have a 4 whl drive take a look at places like Jumpup point and canyon.
Great post and agree 110%. I know people who park their campers right on the edge of North Rim on forest roads without signs.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:32 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,721,917 times
I know there has been other threads on West Rim but don't feel it's a viable alternative. It's 5000 feet elevation as opposed to 7000 on South and 8000 on north. $25 to have a Native take a picture for you on a Skywalk. Have little freedom to hike since it is on Native land. The road to get there is unpaved for a good part of the stretch. Not worth it.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:21 PM

6,774 posts, read 5,075,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
In my opinion, keeping people out of Grand Canyon when there are no rescuers is about keeping people safe (whether from themselves or the weather), not about breaking any laws.

I would assume from your alias that you have a clue about hiking and that as such, you would have a profound respect for the elements, and the level of experience required for hiking any of the trails at the Grand Canyon.
Yes, I have a healthy respect for weather, etc. Folks who venture into the wilderness should be prepared, and realize they are accepting a certain amount of risk.

The safety argument for patrolling the trails doesn't fly for me. Sure, there will always be a few who choose to ignore a closure like this. Aggressively patrolling the trails likely has a negative impact on safety, however, as it will result in folks trying to evade law enforcement by hiking off-trail and/or after dark without a light.

I'm not an advocate of ignoring the closure. Folks who had planned to go to the Grand Canyon should either wait or choose another destination. With that said, it's clear the administration is using the parks as a political tool, which I find repugnant. The whole mess with the WW2 memorial in DC was an embarassment and completely unnecessary. They've also barricaded sites that have no staff and no maintenance overhead, which is childish and also a waste of money.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:31 PM

24,496 posts, read 26,042,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
Isn't Havasupai Falls on the Havasupai Reservation, and wouldn't access to that area for tourists be restricted/closed off due to the federal government shutdown, too?
According to the map I looked it appears to be accessible and not on federal land..

http://www.mapcruzin.com/download-na...canyon_map.jpg

Old 10-11-2013, 07:07 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,705,682 times
Anyone else laugh every time someone says "The grand canyon is closed"?

http://www.azcentral.com/travel/arti...nd-canyon.html

see link for alternate routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona