U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 AM

156 posts, read 349,635 times

Advertisements

Hello, Arizonians -

We're planning on a brief visit to the Tucson area at the end of the month to check out potential escape areas from the icy winter months here in Indiana. We have been to both Tucson and Sierra Vista on motorcycle trips but that was when we were touring and not "looking". Our stay was brief and totally not focused upon winter get-a-way spots.

It is such a routine and impossible question to answer about possible places for us to stay in that area of Arizona for a few weeks in winter - since I have access to a computer and am able to look up Sierra Vista winter rentals, etc. but I would appreciate any other thoughts regarding specific areas to target when we escape to Arizona. We won't be able to spend the $1K per week as many spots are advertised and we will be hoping to find an area that provides a bit of recreation. We recall that Sierra Vista was running amok with bicycles and hikers the last time we were there which left a nice impression. We're seniors and we like to stay relatively active.

Do you know of any 'best kept secrets' in that area for modestly priced [short-time winter] rentals? Anything you tell us will provide more info than we have now and will be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 03:16 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,510,963 times
I would probably be checking on Craigslist under vacation rentals. In my opinion Sierra Vista isn't a great snowbird destination. Its cold in the winter and I don't think it has a great supply of housing geared towards seniors. On the other hand Green Valley was built for seniors and Tucson has a good supply of townhomes that are available for rent. If you are looking for something affordable with a lot of activities I would look at Sun City over by Phoenix. Take a look at the vacation rentals in Craigslist. If you are on a tighter budget and don't need organized activities you might check out rentals in Yuma in the Foothills area. Sun City and Green Valley I think will be the easiest areas to find something for rent.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 PM

"Sun City and Green Valley I think will be the easiest areas to find something for rent"

I'll give that a look on-line. It's hard to get me head around the fact that Sierra Vista is cooler in the winter than places north ... but given the higher elevation it makes sense.

Regarding activities, we prefer hiking, biking, etc. as opposed to some other organized activity.

Thanks.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:17 AM

6,934 posts, read 7,877,775 times
In Sierra Vista (alt. 4918) ... 60F in the daytime, and 38F overnight, as an average Winter temperature range, will seem, to many Midwesterners ... pretty good weather.

Sierra Vista: Average High/Low Temperatures for KFHU | Weather Underground

For Tucson (Alt. 2395), the Winter temperature range of 65-70F daytime and 38F overnight might not seem too different from Sierra Vista, and, also ... pretty good weather for Midwesterners.

Tucson: Average High/Low Temperatures for KTUS | Weather Underground

Temperatures in Green Valley (Alt. 2956) aren't much different for the same time period.

It probably seems/feels colder in Sierra Vista in the Winter months, because it's at a higher altitude.

A man I worked with moved to Sierra Vista when he retired - and he seemed to like it very much. He was former military, though ... a disabled vet ... and I think he enjoyed some privileges at Ft. Huachuca which contributed to his overall enjoyment. I think he was an Arizona native and somewhat of a loner, though he did have a wife who was probably 35-years younger than he was. :-)

Old 11-06-2013, 01:50 PM

gomexico - Thanks for the info. What's with your 'handle' gomexico? We love Mexico and have been there 5 times over the years until the confrontations at the airports got so silly. So relaxing, great people.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:22 AM

10,398 posts, read 539,864 times
Can anyone tell me an average rate of pay for an RN with 20 plus yrs of experience? Looking at Sierra Vista or Tucson area.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:52 AM

3,630 posts, read 4,466,983 times
With only one facility in SV, chances are that wages will be more competitive in Tucson. My wife has worked in both cities, and if I recall correctly, her seasonal RN wages were in the high 30's to low 40's, 6 years ago. Check with a Traveling RN agency for up to date wage packages.

Regards
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 12-28-2013 at 08:28 AM..

Old 12-28-2013, 07:28 PM

10,398 posts, read 539,864 times
thx Gemstone1 for that info. Is Tuscon typically less RED than other areas in Az? I am a liberal democrat from NY, although I dont like to get into political debates...I dont want to be around ppl who are polar opposite, the older I get, the more I think you need to be around like minded ppl... esp with the bigger issues. I hate drama and conflict, don't need anymore than comes naturally without any choice. For example... I don't wanna date a cowboy, but rather an old hippie if you catch my drift... haha

Old 12-28-2013, 09:11 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,456,410 times
Prowler, I live in Green Valley during the winter. Quiet and nice place. Probably not a bad place for you to have a rental while you travel around the area. I've always had luck with VRBO (found the house I'm in through that site).

Ladeebug59, I'm from the NY area (born in Brooklyn, lived in Orange County NY -Warwick- for nearly 20 years). I'd forget your concerns over the AZ attitude that you're worrying about. People here are very "live and let live." By the way, you a good shot?
(A joke! I joke!!)

Rich
Cape Cod/Green Valley

Old 12-29-2013, 08:43 AM

3,630 posts, read 4,466,983 times
"Is Tuscon typically less RED than other areas in Az?" My impression of Tucson is that it is progressive. If you desire a "free spirit" kind of place, then by all means, check out Bisbee, however to ply your trade a commute will be required, SV would be an easy commute, Tucson, no.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona