Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 01:21 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times

Advertisements

Santee Lakes are pretty beautiful...

Fishing Gallery - Santee Lakes

- Santee Lakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 09:24 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
You would go south from Gila Bend, through the Barry Goldwater range. If you like low and fast flying military aircraft, that is THE road to be, it runs right through it. They throw practice bombs too..... It is kind a cool.
Years ago I delivered a steel building at a very desolated house bordering that place. A few very loud bangs, kind a like a whiplash. The animals around the house didn't look up or nothing. The owner told me they are used to it. It was funny though, the explosions where extremely loud.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:38 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,515,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
If you like low and fast flying military aircraft, that is THE road to be, it runs right through it.
I love watching aircraft! Sounds like a cool drive. I could do without bombs though.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:39 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
Ive been to the Old Yuma Prison a couple times and liked it.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:10 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I drive from Southern Cal to Tucson and back about 4 times per year to visit my mother. In the last dozen years, it has added up to almost 50 round trips, so I know the road pretty well. Some others here have listed a few things along the way that are worth a short stop, but each stop will add time to the trip. Tucson to San Diego can be done in about 6 1/2 hours each way if you limit the trip to nothing more than a stop in Yuma for filling up with lower priced AZ gas and maybe one or two short stops for food or whatever else.

The Organ Pipe trip is about 90 minutes each way from Gila Bend. If you want to go there, just take a seperate day trip from Tucson and head west on Ajo Road to Ajo, and turn south to Organ Pipe. Don't bother going there on this trip if your main goal is to visit San Diego, because it will probably take the better part of a day.

After turning off I-8 at Casa Grande, there are no towns until you get to Gila Bend. You should also fill up with gas in Tucson or Casa Grande because you will pay more after that. The desolation along I-8 is actually pretty impressive. Before you get to Gila Bend you will pass through a portion of the Sonoran Desert National Monument.

At Vekol Road exit, you can pull off I-8 and be in Sonoran Desert vegetation, surrounded by mountains on two sides. Caution, don't do that at night and even during the day make sure there is nobody suspicious around before you stop and get out of the car. This is a major drug and illegal immigration corridor into AZ from the border and can be dangerous if you run into the wrong people.

Vekol Valley: Smuggling Superhighway | Crime | South West Tucson News

A dozen miles west of Gila Bend, notice the new multi billion $$ solar power plant on the north side of I-8 that is almost ready for activation at milepost 101. When it begins service it will be one of the largest solar power plants in the US.

Someone else mentioned Dateland, which is about 70 miles east of Yuma. If you like Medjool dates like I do, they grow 'em there and sell them too. They are also known for date milkshakes.

Yuma is a good place at just past the half way point from Tucson to get gas and have something to eat. Good selection of places not far from I-8 at exit 12 and exit 2.

Leaving Yuma, you can stop at Imperial Dunes state park, right next to the interstate and see the sand buggies and ATVs climbing walls of sand. The All American Canal passes right through the dunes, which carries water to the farms & people of the Imperial Valley. You will see the big ugly 14 foot tall black iron border fence west of Imperial Dunes just south of the interstate.

After El Centro, you will climb up the coastal mountains. There is a scenic lookout called Desert View tower in the steep rocky slopes that overlooks the Imperial Valley. That is worth a quick stop and won't take long, and is a good place for photos if the air is clear.

Not far west of Desert View tower is Jacumba. The little rustic border settlements of Jacumba CA and Jacumba Mexico are now walled off from each other and people have to drive 75 miles to visit their neighboring towns. There is a "naturist" resort at Carrizo Springs just west of Jacumba off if I-8.

If you are thirsty and want good clean spring water, take the Pine Valley exit after passing yet another Border Patrol checkpoint. The city park in Pine Valley has a water fountain with nice pure tasting mountain spring water. I often fill up some big water containers here. The moutain scenery north of Pine Valley on the road to Mount Laguna is excellent, and the views and natural surroundings are great. If you have an hour to spare, this is worth the drive.

From Pine Valley, it is all downhill to Alpine, El Cajon, La Mesa and into the Mission Bay part of San Diego. If you keep going straight ahead on I-8 you will be at Ocean Beach, one of my favorite beach communities in Southern Cal.

Last edited by recycled; 12-08-2013 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-09-2013, 12:19 AM

Wow, lots of great information! Thank you! I haven't made the trip yet (postponed once due to weather and again due to my dog's leg injury last week), but hopefully we'll go when he recovers.

How bad is the drive up and down the coastal mountains? Is it as scary steep as Mt. Lemmon, or the steep mountain of Jerome? When I went to Jerome, I had to pull over and let someone else drive, as I was paralyzed with fear. I did manage to get about halfway up Mt. Lemmon a year ago, but it was white-knuckle driving all the way.

I think I'll save Organ Pipe for another trip. We live an hour from Tucson, so our trip is already going to be close to 8 hours, and I know I will be stopping for some other sightseeing along the way, so I expect it'll take us at least 11 or 12 hours.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:36 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themudpuppy View Post
How bad is the drive up and down the coastal mountains? Is it as scary steep as Mt. Lemmon

not even close to what driving on Mt Lemmon is like....the road is interstate-quality (as good as it gets), divided from traffic headed the other way, and has at least two lanes in each direction.....

just PLEASE drive in the right lane unless you're actively passing somebody (thanks a lot!)

Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post

just PLEASE drive in the right lane unless you're actively passing somebody (thanks a lot!)
LOL! I have a bit of a lead foot when I'm not driving up a mountain, but I stay in the right lane anyway until I have to pass. I can't stand left lane hogs who won't move over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona