Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:20 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,275,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That's like saying driving to downtown Phoenix is unsafe because someone gets wasted in Maryvale every night. Seriously. This Mexico risk stuff is so overblown. We tolerate (or ignore) far more violence in our own country than you will ever see on a vacation trip to Rocky Point. I'll bet new Canadian visitors have the same misgivings about visiting the US - everyone has a gun and is shooting at one another. I have always driven back and forth in daylight hours and never felt unsafe. I don't know what it would be like at night, but know people who do it.

Having said that, this incident goes beyond what you might expect to see in RP. My thought is that the Mexican authorities are sending the message that drug lords are not welcome there - at least in the nice hotels and resorts - kind of like Arpaio's crime sweep in Fountain Hills. If I had plans I would not cancel them, but it probably is wise to keep an eye on developments. I would hate to see RP turn into Juarez where it really is kind of risky just walking down the street.
The United States has a population of 320 million with 16,259 homicides per year according to the CDC. Mexico has a population of 120 million with 27,199 homicides per year. That hardly seems overblown does it?

A quote from CNN...

"Outside of war zones, more Americans have been killed in Mexico in the last decade than in any other country outside the United States"

You guys do what you want but I'm staying north of the border where I can at least attempt to protect myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:35 PM

269 posts, read 537,941 times
Quote:
Nah. RP is safe and I would not hesitate to go there. People who don't think so are people who have never been there.
How many times have Navy helicopter gunships fired into a resort complex in Phoenix? I haven't been there in years and didn't leave anything behind so no reason to go back. I never really felt safe driving there anyways. Once there, didn't really notice much but I've been to lots of bad places where they really don't like Americans. I don't see the attraction of RP. SD is much nicer. Sick as a dog last time I was there from food poisoning and it stunk like every pother third world country I've been in.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:42 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,872,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The United States has a population of 320 million with 16,259 homicides per year according to the CDC. Mexico has a population of 120 million with 27,199 homicides per year. That hardly seems overblown does it?

A quote from CNN...

"Outside of war zones, more Americans have been killed in Mexico in the last decade than in any other country outside the United States"

You guys do what you want but I'm staying north of the border where I can at least attempt to protect myself.
Well we kill well over 3000 Americans per decade in Detroit...about 5X what we lose in Mexico. So you all boycotting Michigan?

With any sort of reasonalbe care...don't do dumb things...Mexico is likely safer than Detroit and a number of other US eastern cities. Should we ban the east?

Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 PM

23,375 posts, read 29,259,087 times
The U.S. is Home Of The Brave, and the Braver ones will take this incident with a grain of salt!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 PM

39,178 posts, read 51,494,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger427 View Post
How many times have Navy helicopter gunships fired into a resort complex in Phoenix? I haven't been there in years and didn't leave anything behind so no reason to go back. I never really felt safe driving there anyways. Once there, didn't really notice much but I've been to lots of bad places where they really don't like Americans. I don't see the attraction of RP. SD is much nicer. Sick as a dog last time I was there from food poisoning and it stunk like every pother third world country I've been in.
It has really changed from the good old days (70s) when it was trailers and beach camping and rowdy young people. Now big resorts and fancy hotels and older family type tourists dominate. The bad parts are still there but they are very bad now - you go there looking for trouble and you find it. I don't like it as much now, but the family finds it pretty much the same as going anywhere else now. I never did care for San Diego. The water is much nicer in PP.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:08 PM

20,523 posts, read 15,960,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykatlady View Post
I've never ventured into Mexico for that very reason and never will. No siree, I'll keep my money in the good old U.S.A.

My co-worker, who is Mexican and frequents Mexico often, agrees that it is unwise for Anglos like me to be visiting there.
No just anglo whites; word is many American Chicanos ain't safe there, at least the the ones who DON'T speak Spanish.

Too; I've been to Mexico a few time about 20 years ago, I ain't going anywhere near that place in 2013.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:26 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,275,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Well we kill well over 3000 Americans per decade in Detroit...about 5X what we lose in Mexico. So you all boycotting Michigan?

With any sort of reasonalbe care...don't do dumb things...Mexico is likely safer than Detroit and a number of other US eastern cities. Should we ban the east?
Nope, just Detroit!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:33 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,740,897 times
Quote:
It has really changed from the good old days (70s) when it was trailers and beach camping and rowdy young people. Now big resorts and fancy hotels and older family type tourists dominate. The bad parts are still there but they are very bad now - you go there looking for trouble and you find it. I don't like it as much now, but the family finds it pretty much the same as going anywhere else now. I never did care for San Diego. The water is much nicer in PP.
When I was at Penasco Del Sol back in May the middle aged Zonie parents were getting blasted at the pool bar and pounding shots with who I assume were their teenage daughters. Parents act like John Belushi in Animal House as well. LOL. As it should be. It's an escape and closest beach to our area obviously. More knowledgeable Zonies have recommended San Felipe and San Carlos but haven't ventured down that far as of yet.

About Penasco Del Sol. It was the only hotel I could find with access to the sandy beach. Further west towards where the shooting took place were all timeshares and condos to my understanding. A couple gringo bars such as a place called Wrecked were across the street from the aforementioned hotel and it made for easy access to pina coladas without having to cab it to Old Town where the hawkers are. Speaking of hawkers, Mayan Palace Timeshare hawkers galore. Right outside Penasco Del Sol begging guests to attend presentations.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,872,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Nope, just Detroit!
Why not all of Michigan...you avoid all of Mexico...not just the bad parts. And you might run into a Detroit gangster anywhere in MI.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:21 AM

9,886 posts, read 11,292,337 times
Both sides have valid points.

I use to have a year round spot in Mazatlan. I would go there about 10 weeks a year (one week at a time).

Here are some facts about the current state in Mexican culture that can be applied to many beach towns:

* Drug related Mazatlan murders ramped up from 300 a year in 2005 when I bought to over 1200 when I (barely) got out in 2010. This violence prompting cruise lines to pull out. Tourism is WAY down in many spots.
* The Mexican military war on drugs is making an impact. But that creates instability as to who owns the "turf".
* The new unemployed drug cartel gangs are extorting $$'s from business owners. Pay or bad things happen. This is wide-spread problem. Also, Mexican people with money are being kidnapped. Most have body guards while others with serous money are coming to the States to escape. If you are a rich Mexican and not into drugs, you a aware of the risks.
* Generally speaking, police are either dirty or are scared to protect people. More often than not, they refuse to go out to the crime until is factually over.
* Police do not want to lose their jobs because they make a good living pulling people over and the related bribes for getting off. They have NO interest in looking like they are helping solve a drug related crime. I have witnessed a disco manager shouting at a police to get off his property. They were investigating a 5 person shooting at the club. The police turned around and left.
* Americans Expats who are vocal how save it is (then using an example how a killing happened in Phoenix) are damn nervous about driving white non-suspicious newer trucks and big SUV's. Those get their unfairshare of hijackings. People I know with homes in Mexico no longer drive their car back and forth. They now fly.
* Like the USA, not all towns are as problematic. When I looked last in 2009, Cancun had a total of 6 drug related killings while Mazatlan had 1100. 6 drug related murders==safe; 1100 is a lot less safe.

Statistically, 22 million people visited Mexico last year. Under a dozen American and Canadians were injured. Work the numbers: you are not going to be killed in PP in a shootout, kidnapping, or stabbing. But that doesn't mean a police is going to help you. If you are normal, you are going to feel relieved to arrive safely. I can drive across Arizona and I am not going to white-knuckle drive worrying about the unknown but I will in a cross country drive in Mexico. I know police are going to help me in the USA. I would not worry to start a business in the USA (but I would in Mexico), etc.

I was planning on going to PP in March. I am certainly going to reconsider but I probably will still go. But I plan on hiring one of those Phoenix shuttle vans. I would not hesitate to travel to Cancun. Tourism is close to normal in Cancun.

That all said, I am glad I sold my $4xxK condo in Mexico. They are still dropping. I also would not want to own a PP condo. Resale must be less than ideal. This shooting won't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona