Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:41 PM

84 posts, read 152,437 times

Advertisements

Below are some of my common sense tips for driving in Arizona.

1. If you see the lane going to be closed up ahead get over as soon as possible and not wait till you get where it merges. You can then change lanes after the signs and get back in another lane where there is no traffic
2. If you see a bus ahead get over early.
3. Pull out in the intersection on a green light to turn left. Too many people, for very poor reasons, wait for the arrow and deprive several cars from turning left.
4. A really bad thing people do is stay in the right hand lane at the entrance of the 101 and 202. Many cars then have to wait for the green light where if that one joker would not be there many cars could turn tight on the freeway. Every time that happens(a lot), I can count an untold number of cars that could have turned right but have to wait on that ONE car.
5. How about leaving for work early? Same story every day. The freeways are backed up at 32 St. and the 202 going West after 2:30. A lot of those cars probably waited till the last minute. How do I know? I used to be stuck there and watched the maniacs manipulating in and out of lanes and road rage. Would it actually kill people, knowing the problems of traffic, leaving way early?
6. Absolutely stay in the right hand lane if you are going under 65. I see that way too much people going way too slow in the center lane.
How about getting over in the right hand lane way before you exit the freeway instead of the last minute?

I posted this topic on another forum and it went on and on. Got some of your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 02:53 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
I do believe there is a reason why you wait for an arrow, I believe it's the law. Some intersections you must wait for the arrow and some you don't.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:03 PM

153 posts, read 563,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I do believe there is a reason why you wait for an arrow, I believe it's the law. Some intersections you must wait for the arrow and some you don't.
I would think if it is green (even w/o an arrow), you are able to turn left, but must yeild to oncoming traffic. If it were unlawful to turn left, the light should be red (or red arrow) until it turns to a green arrow that allows traffic wishing to turn left a "head start" of oncoming traffic.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:49 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble101 View Post
Below are some of my common sense tips for driving in Arizona.

1. If you see the lane going to be closed up ahead get over as soon as possible and not wait till you get where it merges. You can then change lanes after the signs and get back in another lane where there is no traffic
2. If you see a bus ahead get over early.
3. Pull out in the intersection on a green light to turn left. Too many people, for very poor reasons, wait for the arrow and deprive several cars from turning left.
4. A really bad thing people do is stay in the right hand lane at the entrance of the 101 and 202. Many cars then have to wait for the green light where if that one joker would not be there many cars could turn tight on the freeway. Every time that happens(a lot), I can count an untold number of cars that could have turned right but have to wait on that ONE car.
5. How about leaving for work early? Same story every day. The freeways are backed up at 32 St. and the 202 going West after 2:30. A lot of those cars probably waited till the last minute. How do I know? I used to be stuck there and watched the maniacs manipulating in and out of lanes and road rage. Would it actually kill people, knowing the problems of traffic, leaving way early?
6. Absolutely stay in the right hand lane if you are going under 65. I see that way too much people going way too slow in the center lane.
How about getting over in the right hand lane way before you exit the freeway instead of the last minute?

I posted this topic on another forum and it went on and on. Got some of your own.

I know the people in AZ do not know how to merge, but being from NY I merge and blend into the next lane nicely while everyone else is stopping traffic. I will never understand this about the drivers here.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:52 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,581 times
You should see 'em in Miami! (I'm sure sometimes myself included... )

Old 10-17-2006, 07:21 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
I would think if it is green (even w/o an arrow), you are able to turn left, but must yeild to oncoming traffic. If it were unlawful to turn left, the light should be red (or red arrow) until it turns to a green arrow that allows traffic wishing to turn left a "head start" of oncoming traffic.
That is, unless theres an actual "Left Turn on GREEN ARROW ONLY" sign.

They're all over Glendale.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:04 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
That is, unless theres an actual "Left Turn on GREEN ARROW ONLY" sign.

They're all over Glendale.
We have lagging lefts in Goodyear (yippee!!!) just like Scottsdale.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:13 PM

153 posts, read 563,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We have lagging lefts in Goodyear (yippee!!!) just like Scottsdale.
What's a "lagging left?" Not up with the lingo...

I would LOVE to see universal use of turning signals! It helps IMMENSELY to be able to know ahead of time what a driver is planning to do. That way the drivers around that vehicle can make their own plan of action to help keep traffic moving smoothly...slow down, speed up, change lanes, etc. I cannot emphasize enough how important turning signals are.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:49 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
Here's another one, which somehow just doesn't seem to be a part of the driving mentality in southern Calif-arizo-nia: when someone on the freeway signals their intent to merge into your lane, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, LET THEM IN! There is nothing but a fender-bender to be gained from speeding up and trying to cut off their travel path! In most of the country, slowing down slightly to provide a gap in the traffic for others to get in is just common sense and Golden Rule implementation. Why are Arizona drivers such selfish Neanderthrals when it comes to accommodating the lane change needs of others? I even see this outside of the state. When drivers are rude about respecting the needs of other motorists, they seem to be sporting Arizona license plates far more commonly than the law of averages allows.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:57 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
The ones I dont let in are the ones that speed up next to you in what is not a lane but the outside and try to get in ahead of you, those I dont let in, or the ones that try to rush in when you when you are trying to be curtious to someone else. And all the arizonians that do that are usually from somewhere else, like California!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona