Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 03:20 PM

72 posts, read 148,282 times

Advertisements

Im in a predicament and cant really talk to anyone neutral and I would like your opinions please.

My wife and I are 30 yrs old, live in the U.P. of Michigan. Wife was born and raised here, i was not but was born and raised in lower Michigan. We have a 4 year old and a baby due in March.

She is in the medical field and I am an Iron Ore Miner. Her immediate family lives in this town or within a couple hours driving distance. My father and step mom live in this town.

We have visited Arizona a handful of times, i absolutely love it and want to be there.......it has alot more to offer for me. I also get seasonal depression very bad in the winter time. I like being outdoors, in the warmth, and seeing the sun. Arizona fits the bill for me to a T! My wife is a bit hesitant, because she was born and raised in this small town up here and hasnt been to many other states or ever thought of relocating.

I know our familes will not be happy with us leaving and it will hurt them. However, these winters are killing me slowly here.....and I need to make myself happy as well. I want our children to know their grandparents but these winters are really affecting me negatively. Her folks are retired and travel alot, and my dad is nearing retirement.

The mine i work at now is set to close down in August for good.........and I make 80% of our annual income with my job. I feel that my mining experiences should help me get a job in a mine elsewhere because there just isnt that many experienced miners looking for different jobs.

I am wondering if anyone has faced leaving immediate family for self happiness and better living? How well did it go?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 03:28 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times
Yes I left Minnesota (small town) when I graduated high school six years ago to move to Phoenix area. Now after I've been married for two years, I am ready to be back by family. I could not imagine living away from them when I have kids. I too had seasonal affective disorder (got the light- the whole works) but I'm pretty sure my spirits are down more when I cry every time I fly out from being with family. Weather is great but it's not everything. I do plan on taking some sort of a vacation at least twice a winter when we live up north (not extravagant, just something so I don't go crazy during longgg winters).

What about taking even a quick weekend trip wherever airfare is on sale to? I know vegas can run some super cheap flights through southwest. Also, maybe you can move somewhere within driving distance of your family? I will say though that I am glad I did, heck I met my husband out here and I'd still be itching to get out if I didn't come here. Now that it's out of my system I'm ready to be back in my homeland.

Best of luck!

Old 01-14-2014, 05:20 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinn_raptor View Post
... ...
I am wondering if anyone has faced leaving immediate family for self happiness and better living? How well did it go?

... ...

Yes.

Great.

But if you depend on family for money, babysitting, someone to talk to, holidays, etc .. think about it. You will need to cut the cord and have the ability to survive even the little things, on your own.

I was born in Adrian.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:06 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,475,542 times
Yes graduated high school up in Pacific Northwest back in 1975 came to Glendale stayed a couple of years then left but quickly realized it was better in the Phoenix Valley and returned and been in Az ever since.

No regrets, I realized I would no longer be getting calls saying I need a jump start or something was broke, I had broken the tie and enjoyed a new life away from the family.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:28 AM

106 posts, read 246,752 times
Arizona is extremely broad when it comes to weather and scenery, I take it you're referring to Phoenix?

Phoenician winters are very pleasant, just a couple degrees cooler than SoCal winters, which makes for absolutely perfect temperatures. If you've lived in Michigan your whole life however, summers will take a lot of getting used to. Phoenix has basically the exact reverse of the Midwestern winter, during summer it's relentless and brutal heat, in the 100s and occasional 110s nearly every day and at night it can be anywhere from 80-100 degrees. It's mostly dry however, and sometimes during the monsoon, a thunderstorm will bring a little relief from the heat. If you think this type of weather won't get you depressed, by all means come on over!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:37 PM

They weather never bothered me. Still doesn't. Not in Michigan, Oregon, Texas, or Arizona, year round.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:20 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,361,632 times
If you are considering staying with Mining, you will certainly limit your possibilities...there are 2 maybe 3 large mining areas, mostly in very rural areas....which may make employment for your spouse more difficult. The medical field is ever expanding (depending on skill level), but still, rural areas offer fewer choices.
As far as leaving family, it depends on your makeup....only you can decide what you can tolerate....I found it easy.

Life is an adventure....are you content with the status quo, are you willing to get outta the box and try something different ? How will you ever know if you don't try it ....

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-16-2014, 05:12 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,335,632 times
I know I'd regret only living in one part of the country my whole life, even if both my wife and my family were there. We have great relationships with our parents but that shouldn't be the only thing life is about. So we chose to make the move with only myself having a job in Phoenix and moved across country in a Uhaul. Wife found a job after about two months and we aren't leaving here anytime soon! We love it. Life's about different things and finding the right place to lay down roots. You'll know when you've made the right decision and plan on staying. It just feels right.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:14 AM

72 posts, read 148,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
If you are considering staying with Mining, you will certainly limit your possibilities...there are 2 maybe 3 large mining areas, mostly in very rural areas....which may make employment for your spouse more difficult. The medical field is ever expanding (depending on skill level), but still, rural areas offer fewer choices.
As far as leaving family, it depends on your makeup....only you can decide what you can tolerate....I found it easy.

Life is an adventure....are you content with the status quo, are you willing to get outta the box and try something different ? How will you ever know if you don't try it ....

Regards
Gemstone1
Id like to stay in mining because its a good paying job here and i feel its what i can get paid the most to do. I also have technical school and about 6 years in the structural steel/CAD design field. I make over double what i did in CAD now in mining. Anyone know what some of the bigger mines pay wage wise roughly?

Right now my wife drives about 25-30 minutes north of where we live for her job and i drive 25 minutes west to my job. Granted these are rural roads with little to no traffic but we dont mind driving. Our nearest larger town is 30 minutes away now.

I want to get out of here, but with my wifes roots being here its alot harder for her to leave. We are planning a 3rd vacation to arizona this fall to check out more possibilities.

We have seen and visited Goodyear, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Sedona, and a bit of Tempe. It seems as though most of the larger mines are east of the phoenix area.......id like to get out there and check that out.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Anymore input on the mining industry there? Wages, etc?

Old 01-18-2014, 01:51 PM

Last time I was there the Mines were hiring experienced workers and mechanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona