U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 03:48 PM

20,460 posts, read 24,143,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBlunted View Post
It would be nice to have someone I knew in the area, right off the bat. Ive never been overly family oriented, until my dad passed away out of the blue last yr. Now I spend more time with my Grams and my Mom. Typically just dinner on Wednesdays, but its nice to stay up to date.

My mom is all for moving to AZ, she just needs to convince her BF. My retired grams says no to AZ because "she likes gardening and playing in the dirt too much". I told her that NH you only have 6 months to garden or so and AZ will give her more time. Then I hear complaints about the heat. I think thats the typical outsider mindset, "AZ is nothing but desert, HOT HOT HOT desert". The extreme heat is the main reason I want to avoid moving to phoenix. Also traffic is a concern, but I really would much rather live in an area with a high of 100 and a little bit of grass or even lakes nearby. Im assuming that leaves me elevated, which im fine with. All in all I can pick and choose all I want, but where I get my job is going to be the #1 factor for where I live.

Im not saying I want my family living in the same house as me, but it would be good to celebrate xmas/birthdays/holidays together in the desert.. So I wouldn't mind if they were neighbors or within a drive.

I can make it without my family without an issue, Just would make the initial move easier, and I feel everyone would enjoy it!
Contrary to popular opinion, Southern Arizona is NOT all desert. True enough the SW corner of the state near California is quite hot and dry and quite barren, but as you move eastward in southern AZ there is a general elevation gain (as well as increasing presence of mountain clusters - the so-called "Sky Islands" - that are in many cases heavily forested). For example, Yuma (on the Cal border) is at 200 feet, Phoenix is at 1,000 feet, Tucson at 2,400, Benson at 3,500, Sierra Vista at a bit over 4,000 and Bisbee over 5,000 feet. The elevation change brings both a general cooling of the climate and a general increase in precipitation levels - both of which change the desert to scrubland then to grassland then to forest (at the highest elevations).

Around Sonoita for example, it's not desert at all, but rather, wine country and beautiful rolling grasslands (where - as the say - the antelope play). Take a look (dry photos are generally winter, green photos are summer):

https://www.google.com/search?q=sono...w=1076&bih=662

Same is true of the area around Hereford just south of Sierra Vista:

https://www.google.com/search?q=here...w=1076&bih=662

Here's the Huachuca Mts right outside Sierra Vista:

https://www.google.com/search?q=huac...w=1076&bih=662

It's also rolling grasslands in the Sulphur Springs valley between Willcox and Douglas (especially near the foothills of the Chiricahua Mts. Much of this area is ranchland and farmland.

The grasslands of the regions are known as the Apache Highlands Grasslands:

https://www.google.com/search?q=apac...w=1076&bih=662

This particular image is very near our property in the J-Six development 40 minutes SE of Tucson and 10 minutes west of Benson:

http://www.saguaro-juniper.com/i_and...rom_NW0016.jpg

The biggest challenge to living in the area is not the heat (average summer highs on my property in June/July/August is only 93/91/88 - very warm to be sure, but not unreasonably so - especially when you consider the generally low humidity) but rather finding employment as it is a very rural area with few large towns.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 02-18-2014 at 04:03 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 07:29 PM

120 posts, read 190,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Have you ever been to the Southwest at all?
Nope unfortunately not. Farthest west is NY and FL... pathetic

Old 02-18-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Contrary to popular opinion, Southern Arizona is NOT all desert. True enough the SW corner of the state near California is quite hot and dry and quite barren, but as you move eastward in southern AZ there is a general elevation gain (as well as increasing presence of mountain clusters - the so-called "Sky Islands" - that are in many cases heavily forested). For example, Yuma (on the Cal border) is at 200 feet, Phoenix is at 1,000 feet, Tucson at 2,400, Benson at 3,500, Sierra Vista at a bit over 4,000 and Bisbee over 5,000 feet. The elevation change brings both a general cooling of the climate and a general increase in precipitation levels - both of which change the desert to scrubland then to grassland then to forest (at the highest elevations).

Around Sonoita for example, it's not desert at all, but rather, wine country and beautiful rolling grasslands (where - as the say - the antelope play). Take a look (dry photos are generally winter, green photos are summer):

https://www.google.com/search?q=sono...w=1076&bih=662

Same is true of the area around Hereford just south of Sierra Vista:

https://www.google.com/search?q=here...w=1076&bih=662

Here's the Huachuca Mts right outside Sierra Vista:

https://www.google.com/search?q=huac...w=1076&bih=662

It's also rolling grasslands in the Sulphur Springs valley between Willcox and Douglas (especially near the foothills of the Chiricahua Mts. Much of this area is ranchland and farmland.

The grasslands of the regions are known as the Apache Highlands Grasslands:

https://www.google.com/search?q=apac...w=1076&bih=662

This particular image is very near our property in the J-Six development 40 minutes SE of Tucson and 10 minutes west of Benson:

http://www.saguaro-juniper.com/i_and...rom_NW0016.jpg

The biggest challenge to living in the area is not the heat (average summer highs on my property in June/July/August is only 93/91/88 - very warm to be sure, but not unreasonably so - especially when you consider the generally low humidity) but rather finding employment as it is a very rural area with few large towns.

Ken
Ken, Thanks for all of the great info! I looked over those pictures. Looks like a very beautiful part of the country. It definitely looks sparse/desolate, so finding employment in my field may be challenging. Hard telling, not knowing. Hereford shows lots of pictures with wild fires. Brings up a good point... How often are wild fires? and What areas are more prone?

Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,325,878 times
Search results for Hereford show a lot of photos of fires because they just had a big one a couple years ago. That will diminish the chances of another large one happening soon. I don't like the Sierra Vista area, but Ken does. If you search SV on these boards, you will find a lot of pros and cons between the two of us, along with others. But I wanted tl address two things.

First, fires will be an issue wherever you live in the west. It will impact you less living in the middle of Phoenix, Tucson, and Flagstaff, but the threat is there. You learn to live with it. You get a fire safe, you keep a bugout bag ready, you keep your property "firewise," etc.

Second, the state looks like much of Kens pictures desolatewise. I lived in NH for a short 9 months and Arizona is very different in its organization of towns. I told people from back home that I lived in Plymouth, but really I lived in Campton. And I think there is even a North Campton... Anyhow, when you live in a town in Arizona, that's it. There isn't necessarily another town 10 miles down the road, more like 60 miles down the road. I remember how amazed I was at how quickly it took me to get from western Vermont to Plymouth! Not so in Arizona. It doesn't offer a lot of mid-sized towns with a lot of job opportunities. SV, Kingman, and Prescott are the main ones I can think of, with Tucson, Phoenix metro, and Flag being the large cities (and Flag isn't all that big, but it is a major hub). So you are going to have to be okay with Phoenix traffic or desolation/ruralness.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:43 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,325,878 times
Quote:
. How often are wild fires? and What areas are more prone?
In case my last post was too long: Everywhere and every year.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 PM

10,064 posts, read 20,269,710 times
Quote:
Nope unfortunately not. Farthest west is NY and FL... pathetic
Well, what are you waiting for? Come on out and visit.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:27 PM

20,460 posts, read 24,143,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Search results for Hereford show a lot of photos of fires because they just had a big one a couple years ago. That will diminish the chances of another large one happening soon. I don't like the Sierra Vista area, but Ken does. If you search SV on these boards, you will find a lot of pros and cons between the two of us, along with others. But I wanted tl address two things.

First, fires will be an issue wherever you live in the west. It will impact you less living in the middle of Phoenix, Tucson, and Flagstaff, but the threat is there. You learn to live with it. You get a fire safe, you keep a bugout bag ready, you keep your property "firewise," etc.

Second, the state looks like much of Kens pictures desolatewise. I lived in NH for a short 9 months and Arizona is very different in its organization of towns. I told people from back home that I lived in Plymouth, but really I lived in Campton. And I think there is even a North Campton... Anyhow, when you live in a town in Arizona, that's it. There isn't necessarily another town 10 miles down the road, more like 60 miles down the road. I remember how amazed I was at how quickly it took me to get from western Vermont to Plymouth! Not so in Arizona. It doesn't offer a lot of mid-sized towns with a lot of job opportunities. SV, Kingman, and Prescott are the main ones I can think of, with Tucson, Phoenix metro, and Flag being the large cities (and Flag isn't all that big, but it is a major hub). So you are going to have to be okay with Phoenix traffic or desolation/ruralness.
Yeah, the irony is that the West is more "urban" than the East - that's not to say that it's more built-up/developed, but rather that in the West the population tends to be clustered into relatively few high-population urban locations with lots and lots and lots of empty space between those locations, whereas in the East people live not just in large urban centers but also in a wide range of small and mid-sized towns that are scattered relatively evenly in between those large urban centers. As you mention, Arizona has very very few mid-sized towns. The vast majority of the population lives in either the Phoenix (especially) or Tucson metro areas, while vast areas of the state are nearly empty.

Ken

Old 02-19-2014, 05:28 AM

11,966 posts, read 8,497,701 times
Las Cruces, NM is a good choice if you want something warmer than ALB but cooler than Phoenix and Tucson.

There are places that are pretty temperate such as Sierra Vista, AZ. Silver City, NM, Prescott, AZ, Payson, AZ that are year round pretty temperate but job prospects are not that great.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
In case my last post was too long: Everywhere and every year.
Nope not too long! I appreciate you taking time to respond! I figures fires were common in that area. Just didn't know if there were areas especially vulnerable. However I now know that the entire state is at risk. Ill have to research the fire safing methods I could personally do to minimize the risk.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Well, what are you waiting for? Come on out and visit.
I plan on visiting this June/July. I keep reading on here, to experience the heat first hand at its worst. If I can tolerate the heat then, Ill have no issues. So I want to come out this june or July for about a week or so. Just tour the area, drive around and search for work oppurtunities. Id like to road trip to tour the country, but gas and time restrictions will probably force me to fly and rent a car.

WHERE IS A GOOD PLACE TO LOOK FOR WORK in AZ BESIDES CRAIGSLIST?? Sry for all caps but just didn't want that being overlooked. Craigslist seems sketchier over in AZ than in NH for work. A lot of listings telling you to make an email, and wait for further instructions. Im all set with Spammers!

Ive never had much like with monster.com. I assume Indeed.com will have results there. And possibly AZjobs.com? Any other suggestions to get my resume out there sooner rather than later?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona