U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 PM

772 posts, read 586,617 times

Advertisements

I think Indeed.com is a good place to start. Also, check out azcentral: Phoenix Jobs - Arizona Jobs - Phoenix Job Openings - Arizona Republic Jobs

Depending on what type of work you are looking for, you can also check local Govt. jobs, like Maricopa County: Human Resources

Visiting is a great idea. Just know it will be hotter than you can imagine (at least in Phx.) You do get used to it after a while though. :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:17 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,266,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBlunted View Post
Nope unfortunately not. Farthest west is NY and FL... pathetic
Lots of New Englanders have never really left the Northeast, save a trip or two to Florida to visit the theme parks. Eek.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,823,330 times
Be thankful...... AZ would be like FL, busy.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:05 AM

120 posts, read 189,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
I think Indeed.com is a good place to start. Also, check out azcentral: Phoenix Jobs - Arizona Jobs - Phoenix Job Openings - Arizona Republic Jobs

Depending on what type of work you are looking for, you can also check local Govt. jobs, like Maricopa County: Human Resources

Visiting is a great idea. Just know it will be hotter than you can imagine (at least in Phx.) You do get used to it after a while though. :-)
Thanks for the helpful post. Any other job listing resources, Im only trying to steer clear of the Temp Agencies, all others welcome.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,309,808 times
USA Jobs for federal openings.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:11 AM

2,147 posts, read 4,598,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
I looked back at your OP and this made me pause: "I need good reasons to convince my close family members..."

I am not dissing you at all, but if you are single and worried about convincing your family members, you may want to reconsider moving 2000+ miles away. I left the great lakes when I was 29. I was married and loved my family, but we both wanted to live out west (plus the economy was horrible). Close family was not happy at all. I miss them to this day, but we did what was right for us.

Think about what it is you *really want*. Weather can matter, but I know NH and it is beautiful there. I was in the UP of MI for awhile and I loved it, but it was savage weather. Phoenix has savage weather too, in the opposite way. If being near family is something YOU don't want to give up, then look at closer options. If family wants you to stay and you really want to go, then now is the time, before you put down roots.

The other thing I would say is that savage heat is different than savage cold. Check out a PHX summer before you move. If you don't need to live in PHX, then you are better off. There are other areas in AZ that are much more temperate. As a "northern girl" I liked PHX at first (hubby liked it better), then I quickly grew to hate the heat. Fortunately, we moved to central AZ, which is not as bad, but it is still very different than MI or NH.
I totally agree w/you! I actually wrote this to another OP a few days ago: That too many CD posters seem to believe they need to qualify their move to their parents, life long friends, church, boss, you name it...people feel they need to convince or defend their choice...It doesn't matter, truly, what other people think. It is your life, people! It's neither their business nor their choice, frankly. Unless you own a business or real estate with family and need to make direct decisions that affect them, you simply let them know your plans...and...NEXT. If you spend your years waiting for approval or justification, you may never get it, and you may end up delaying or preventing your growth, happiness, success, etc....You can't bring people along with you in your mind...They may choose to get on board with your ideas, but your job is to carry on with those ideas and plans that are right for you. The end.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I totally agree w/you! I actually wrote this to another OP a few days ago: That too many CD posters seem to believe they need to qualify their move to their parents, life long friends, church, boss, you name it...people feel they need to convince or defend their choice...It doesn't matter, truly, what other people think. It is your life, people! It's neither their business nor their choice, frankly. Unless you own a business or real estate with family and need to make direct decisions that affect them, you simply let them know your plans...and...NEXT. If you spend your years waiting for approval or justification, you may never get it, and you may end up delaying or preventing your growth, happiness, success, etc....You can't bring people along with you in your mind...They may choose to get on board with your ideas, but your job is to carry on with those ideas and plans that are right for you. The end.
I agree totally with the points you've made. I just want to know someone in the area right off the bat. My friends are brainwashed into thinking NH is there destiny forever. No one shows interest in moving out, and the few that have, at least half moved back to NH! I could probably convince my lady to come with me, which would help, however I like that we each have our own place right now so Im not sure I want to move in together yet. But again this plan is for Jan. 2016 or so and my thoughts im sure will change. Ill meet people just fine, but it would be good to do dinner and outdoorsy stuff with someone I knew until I was adjusted with new friends in the area.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 AM

2,147 posts, read 4,598,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBlunted View Post
It would be nice to have someone I knew in the area, right off the bat. Ive never been overly family oriented, until my dad passed away out of the blue last yr. Now I spend more time with my Grams and my Mom. Typically just dinner on Wednesdays, but its nice to stay up to date.

My mom is all for moving to AZ, she just needs to convince her BF. My retired grams says no to AZ because "she likes gardening and playing in the dirt too much". I told her that NH you only have 6 months to garden or so and AZ will give her more time. Then I hear complaints about the heat. I think thats the typical outsider mindset, "AZ is nothing but desert, HOT HOT HOT desert". The extreme heat is the main reason I want to avoid moving to phoenix. Also traffic is a concern, but I really would much rather live in an area with a high of 100 and a little bit of grass or even lakes nearby. Im assuming that leaves me elevated, which im fine with. All in all I can pick and choose all I want, but where I get my job is going to be the #1 factor for where I live.

Im not saying I want my family living in the same house as me, but it would be good to celebrate xmas/birthdays/holidays together in the desert.. So I wouldn't mind if they were neighbors or within a drive.

I can make it without my family without an issue, Just would make the initial move easier, and I feel everyone would enjoy it!

Typically, it is very draining to move with people, vs. them coming out to join you later, once you are settled. Having your own experience in a new place, developing your network, exploring based on your interests, rather than feeling responsible for others' experiences [which you WOULD likely feel, b/c this was 'all your idea'], is key to success in a new place and to happiness in one's own life. Trying to establish your place, while helping others establish theirs, does not usually work out that well...Feeling emotionally responsible for others' experiences is what often/usually ends up happening. Maybe that is not the case in your situation, but I've seen it many, many times-a similar scenario. Also, you are projecting your current life to your new, perceived, would-be life. But maybe you'll find you want to do different things for xmas, birthdays, etc. instead of just 'in the desert with family'. So, maybe you own ideas about what you don't want to give up, are part of you persuading your family to move. You may *think* they will enjoy it, but you need to be more concerned with yourself, IMO.

Does the bird need to leave the nest? Maybe yes. Maybe no. It's your call. But wanting them to move out b/c it would make the move easier initially for you, is not really about their well being, IMO. 'Oh, and I feel they would enjoy it, too', is kind of an afterthought and the real motivation is making your life easier. I don't think that will be the case-i think it will be much harder b/c you will be settling in on behalf of several people, not just yourself. No doubt it's challenging to leave your roots, and that is part of stretching oneself in life. Can't have the rose w/o the thorns, etc. Like you said, you can always return to NH, too, at a later date. It's temporary if you want it to be.

Also, if you don't want hot hot desert, the phoenix area is the only real professional job location in AZ. Flagstaff is nice, but read any thread about that town and you'll see that jobs are hard to come by, usually go to locals and are heavily underpaid relative to cost of living.. Home prices there are also sky high. Prescott may have some options for you, for a more moderate climate. But...that's it, really, as far as a professional career. Unless you are a teacher or nurse, etc, where you might find a job in N. AZ, you'll deal with the heat of the desert. There are exceptions depending on field, but for the most part, you don't really have 'a whole state' to choose from. Same with NM, though there you could find something in Los Alamos, Las Cruces or ABQ b/c of primarily government jobs in the first two...But the whole state isn't really filled with job prospects, just a few areas where you might find something. [I know this is generally true for other rural/semi rural states, too; I'm just mentioning the two you are looking at currently.]

Good luck w/your decision and plans. I suggest taking a winter vacation for the next two years, for as many weeks as you can get off at once, and spend time in each place as a potential resident, rather than tourist. Also, come to phx in the summer for a week and see what you think, as well. Since you are planning for a couple of years out, that might be a good investment and you may decide you'll stick to winter trips to az for now, or maybe invest in a condo or house in the area for long term vacation use/eventual move.

Also: What about NC as an option? Raleigh, Charlotte, etc. might be of interest, with mild seasons [except summer], job prospects, lower COL and not much seafood, that I know of.... lol

Old 02-20-2014, 01:29 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,309,808 times
We might be able to direct in some more specific ways if we knew what field you work in. I disagree with Irmsd that Phoenix is your only choice, as you have Tucson, too, and it tends to be *slightly* cooler than Phoenix (if I'm remembering correctly). And since Irmsd gave some great general moving advice, I'll add in two cents more:

Moving from region to region seems fun (and it is), but you have to be aware that every region (even state) has it's own culture that takes some getting use to. That could explain why some of your friends moved away only to move back. If you aren't prepared for it, you might just throw in the towel. Take my MIL for example. She has two kids who have moved all over the country (her SIL was in the service; my husband is in the federal agencies), so when she retired she decided that it was her turn to "have fun" and move somewhere totally different. She didn't research it too much and moved on a whim and she wasn't prepared. For the last year, all we have heard was how different it was (as in bad), how they do everything wrong, how everyone is stupid, etc. Moving regions isn't for the faint of heart, but it is very rewarding as you explore the different landscapes and meet people with a far different background and ideas as you. I'm happy to report that my MIL is now doing much better assimilating into her new area.

Whenever we research a new job opening, I do two things: I look intensively at the reality sites (even if we won't be buying, I look at overall house prices, and the pictures of the houses on the outside--it can give you a glimpse into the types of neighborhoods) and I research intensively here. I like how you can get information and advice on the mundane parts of life from people actually living there. So when you have narrowed down your optimal location(s), I suggest searching for old and new threads for anything on that city. You can find out all sorts of things on threads titled, "HOA rules," "Neighbor's dog barking," "Decent Restaurants," and the like. I also look up individual's past posts (left click on their name and go to "Find All Posts") because they might also be a frequent poster in Education, Parenting, Work, etc., forums in the General Topics area, and then I can glean more info about an area (a person may not post much about the schools in their town under the state forum, but might have a lot to say about it under Parenting, for example).

Old 02-20-2014, 03:35 PM

My primary focus is finding work that will support my lifestyle, aka bills.. From there I can look into all the living situations in an environment/community/area within a reasonable commuting distance, that will best fit my wants and needs. I am open to all work that pays the bills. Preferably out of the sun, but if Im paid sufficiently Ill do almost anything, legal. My degree is a B.S. in Business Administation with a couple minors in Economics and Professional Communications. Right now Im working in VERY aggressive collections, FED. This is not what I want for a career by any means. I hope to open my own business eventually, but wouldn't mind working for a nice AZ company first.

And I really have no concerns about moving out there myself, If no one comes with me, Im still doing my best to come. I pay all my own bills, want my own place, and to live my own life. I just don't want to end up in the middle of AZ with no one to talk to except at work. haha. Ill meet people, Ill be fine..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona