U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 03:47 PM

120 posts, read 189,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
[/b]Also: What about NC as an option? Raleigh, Charlotte, etc. might be of interest, with mild seasons [except summer], job prospects, lower COL and not much seafood, that I know of.... lol
I appreciate the consideration to list an alternative, however, the Carolinas are not on my list to move to. I honestly haven't looked into them that much, other than initial interest but decided against that part of the country. Hurricanes, Humidity, etc. I wouldn't mind the BBQ but I really am looking to the West. If Seattle didn't get all the rain, I would consider there. My biggest complain I have with AZ is it has NO OCEAN! And I love fishing... But Ive already agreed to sacrifice Ice fishing and salt water fishing, for warmth and extra sun. haha
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 04:14 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,309,178 times
I just moved to Oregon from Arizona. We never had the PNW on our radar too much in the past because of "all that rain." However, a job came up that was just too good, so we did. And I'm telling you, the rain isn't that bad. Really, it isn't. I wouldn't necessarily put it off the list. Just saying. And we don't live in Portland, but visit it often and I really love it.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:26 PM

308 posts, read 691,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBlunted View Post
I appreciate the consideration to list an alternative, however, the Carolinas are not on my list to move to. I honestly haven't looked into them that much, other than initial interest but decided against that part of the country. Hurricanes, Humidity, etc. I wouldn't mind the BBQ but I really am looking to the West. If Seattle didn't get all the rain, I would consider there. My biggest complain I have with AZ is it has NO OCEAN! And I love fishing... But Ive already agreed to sacrifice Ice fishing and salt water fishing, for warmth and extra sun. haha

I know how you feel. Before we moved here, we were seriously considering NC. Then we came here for a visit and fell in love. NC was just too much like upstate NY only warmer/more humid. AZ is a totally different ball game and a great adventure still.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:18 AM

120 posts, read 189,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I just moved to Oregon from Arizona. We never had the PNW on our radar too much in the past because of "all that rain." However, a job came up that was just too good, so we did. And I'm telling you, the rain isn't that bad. Really, it isn't. I wouldn't necessarily put it off the list. Just saying. And we don't live in Portland, but visit it often and I really love it.

Property taxes, heating costs, snow and all the work that goes along with it, actual days of rain per year and humidity would be questions for that area. I am open to that suggestion. A big plus would be lots of coastline (compared to NH)

Only really critique I have for Oregon, would be.. Without knowing what Im talking about, or ever visiting that region; I cant imagine it being too different from the weather Im trying to escape in the Northeast..

Old 02-21-2014, 10:45 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,150,985 times
Quote:
While there is no salt water fishing here obviously, there could be some ice fishing in the northern half of the state. I really don't know but I am an avid fisherman and I can tell you this. Arizona, surprisingly, has some incredible fishing. Bass fishing is very good here, catfishing is very good here with large, LARGE flathead catfish in most of the lakes. Crappie fishing is off the hook at times. Smallmouth and largemouth bass fishing in the lakes and the Colorado River is awesome at times.
Also, salt water fishing isn't that far away in Mexico and San Diego.
I do agree with you though. I'd sacrifice the fishing for sun and warm weather. I did. I moved from Oregon to get out of the gloomy, rainy weather. Best thing I've done. I couldn't be happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Gotta disagree with you but I lived in Oregon for 25 years. All the rain SUCKED HUGE. It wasn't bad the first year because everything was new and Oregon is pretty much carpeted in trees but it got old quick.
The Pacific Northwest is arguably the most beautiful area of the country but the incessant rain was very depressing. I grew tired of the rain, the constant gloomy weather, the mud, mold and mildew on EVERYTHING, the wind and cool temps most of the year.
I moved to Arizona 2 1/2 years ago and while I look back fondly on my time in Oregon, I am SOOOO glad I no longer have to deal with the rain. I don't miss all the road closures, floods, high winds, cleaning the mold from UNDER the roof shingles every year, washing the green mold off the house twice a year and all the other stuff associated with the constant wet weather.

Quote:
Property taxes, heating costs, snow and all the work that goes along with it, actual days of rain per year and humidity would be questions for that area. I am open to that suggestion. A big plus would be lots of coastline (compared to NH)

Only really critique I have for Oregon, would be.. Without knowing what Im talking about, or ever visiting that region; I cant imagine it being too different from the weather Im trying to escape in the Northeast..
Very cool weather in the PNW. The further north you go, the cooler it is on average. Oregon and Washington are divided. On the west side of the Cascade mountains is very wet, cool and windy. East of the Cascades is high desert. Warmer in summer, much colder in winter.
If you want a coastline, go as far south as you can. The ocean water temps even in Southern California don't get much warmer than about 70 during even the hottest of summers. North of San Francisco, expect the water temps to be in the low 50's pretty much all year long but if it's salt water fishing your looking for, then go farther north for some good fishing without all the crowds.

So true. The weather in the PNW can be brutal most of the year although even I must admit that the summers can't be beat. Unfortunately, the summers are way too short and once in a while, the weather doesn't cooperate and there isn't any summer. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. It happened to me 3 times in my 25 years there. Imagine almost constant rain for 22 months. I just wanted to stick my head in the oven.
Most of the year you can expect temps in the low 50's as the high temps for the day.
Where I lived on the coast of Oregon, even in the summer, we rarely saw a daytime high temp of 70.

Last edited by observer53; 02-23-2014 at 04:01 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 02:54 AM

10,139 posts, read 15,396,134 times
I thought about ABQ, but I read selling is much about whom you know rather than what you know, so I passed.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:50 PM

4,311 posts, read 5,263,652 times
OP: I moved from New England to Texas by myself eight years ago and have no regrets. My family and friends did not want to see me go, but I did it anyway. It's the best life choice I made. I have a great job, met great friends from just about everywhere, and was able to by a home outright after selling my home in MA. I'm not trying to bring Texas into the equation for you, (although I think it's a much better choice), but do what is right for you. Go to AZ during the first week of August, and rent a car. Drive to Phoenix, Tucson, the suburbs, the hipster neighborhoods, the rural areas and all points in between. Drive around on a weekday, with the rest of the commuters, and ask yourself --- can I really picture myself living here being one of these people?

As far as NM, the climate in the more populated areas is more similar to CO, than AZ. Albuquerque's elevation is slightly higher than Denver in most spots.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 02-23-2014 at 03:01 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 04:14 PM

16,216 posts, read 19,243,200 times
There are many Striped Bass in the Colorado River & Lake Havasu......

The weather in Oregon is beautiful. Where we live in southwest Oregon we have many sunny, warm days. Even in the winter...

Old 02-23-2014, 08:46 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,480,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
OP: I moved from New England to Texas by myself eight years ago and have no regrets. My family and friends did not want to see me go, but I did it anyway. It's the best life choice I made. I have a great job, met great friends from just about everywhere, and was able to by a home outright after selling my home in MA. I'm not trying to bring Texas into the equation for you, (although I think it's a much better choice), but do what is right for you. Go to AZ during the first week of August, and rent a car. Drive to Phoenix, Tucson, the suburbs, the hipster neighborhoods, the rural areas and all points in between. Drive around on a weekday, with the rest of the commuters, and ask yourself --- can I really picture myself living here being one of these people?

As far as NM, the climate in the more populated areas is more similar to CO, than AZ. Albuquerque's elevation is slightly higher than Denver in most spots.
Ummm, should we in AZ be offended? To the OP, come out and see the place. You will know if it's for you.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:54 PM

10,139 posts, read 15,396,134 times
I think the two things I would dislike about Phoneix Metro, brutal heat in the summer, and major urban sprawl.

Other than that when I have been out there not bad at all. A few whack jobs in politics but that is with almost every state.

How is it, as an out of state resident, someone can buy an assault rifle, but needs to be a resident to buy a pistol Someone can kill more efficiently with an assault rifle too

My only real complaint is that I can't drive over and get my 17 round mag for a Glock 19 with gun, but can get an AR or AK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona