Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 09:42 AM

152 posts, read 261,579 times

Advertisements

Hello
We are getting hit hard in the NW this year. How is AZ doing? By the way...is our smoke coming down as far as AZ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 01:44 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
No, it's not. So sorry for all the trouble you are having.

We have had a fairly light season. One good sized fire over in the NW corner, and a few other smaller ones. Lucky so far. Probably means some firefighters from here are up in your area.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:42 PM

Thanks, is the fire season usually mild in greater AZ?

Old 08-27-2015, 02:48 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
No, we've had some very bad ones in the past, but there's been enough rain in some of the fire prone areas up north to keep things at bay a little- but some of it is just luck -- where the lightning is, or isn't, and whether we have careless campers or smokers in the wrong places. (or, people who light signal fires because they are lost, or start a fire because they want to be hired as a fireman, and start two fires that merged into a giant conflagration-- See "Rodeo-Chedeski" fire in AZ several years ago.)

Old 08-27-2015, 03:18 PM

I got it thanks!

Old 08-27-2015, 11:46 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
One thing to keep in mind is that (unlike the Pacific Northwest) this time of year is the "wet" time of year in these parts. The worse time for fires here is late spring. Of the 10 worse fires in AZ history, only 1 started in July (and none later). May and June are the worst months.

10 worst wildfires in modern Arizona history – Cronkite News

Ken

Old 08-28-2015, 02:23 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
I don't know, we have been getting a lot of smoke from somewhere in NW AZ. All the way to Colorado.

I thought WA was wet? We were thinking of a summer home there - you know a place to spend August 15th...

We just had a bad fire here by the Colorado River, a number of homes were burned up. Who knew cactus and sage brush could catch fire.

Hope the fires stop for you.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:03 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I don't know, we have been getting a lot of smoke from somewhere in NW AZ. All the way to Colorado.

I thought WA was wet? We were thinking of a summer home there - you know a place to spend August 15th...

We just had a bad fire here by the Colorado River, a number of homes were burned up. Who knew cactus and sage brush could catch fire.

Hope the fires stop for you.
The PNW is divided into 2 distinct regions - west of the Cascades - which is generally wet and green, and east of the Cascades- which is desert (Moses Lake Wa typically gets 1/3 less rainfall than Tucson).

Even on the west (ie wet) side of the Cascades there is a dry time. Summers are typically rain-free and so between July and September there is a pretty great chance of forest fires (lots and lots and lots of vegetation all drying out).

Take a look at these photos of Steamboat Rock in Eastern Washington - pure desert (with a man-made lake):

https://www.google.com/search?q=stea...IVi-CACh2icgOq

Now look at these photos of the Hoh Rainforest in Western Wa:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hoh+...FYafgAod_0sM2w

Same state - one east of the Cascades, one west of the Cascades

Ken

Old 08-29-2015, 08:35 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
Quote:
or, people who light signal fires because they are lost, or start a fire because they want to be hired as a fireman, and start two fires that merged into a giant conflagration-- See "Rodeo-Chedeski" fire in AZ several years ago.
A fire I will never forget! Lived in Show Low at the time, evacuated with my two very young children (3mo, 21mo), came to terms with losing everything... and came back to an intact house that smelled strongly of smoke. Got the t-shirt (I survived the Rodeo Chedeski fire!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona