Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 02:49 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,009 times

Advertisements

The rumors are heating up as the decision will shortly be made. Arizona, Nevada, Texas and New Mexico are in the running. I think Nevada has the advantage of being closest to the source of lithium and I'm afraid that weighs a lot, but in terms of better educated workforce and at least some lithium we should have a good chance. That would be a big boost for Arizona. In Texas you can't even buy a car without a dealer, that should pretty much delete them from the competition. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Gigafactory | Blog | Tesla Motors

California positively gets a negative from Tesla on battery factory - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 05:45 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,982,810 times
If Texas was out of the running, Tesla wouldn't even acknowledge looking at them. Texas is very much in the running. They have a booming economy and very business friendly. That said, I am rooting for Arizona. Phoenix would be my preferred destination but any new work here in AZ is a great thing.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:18 AM

448 posts, read 919,021 times
According to the SA Business Journal, two reps from Tesla met with the leaders of SA for possible sites.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:17 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,340,805 times
There are A TON of rumors floating around on this still - and since the process typically includes non-disclosure agreements - the govt VERY close lipped!!

The PHOENIX Business journal has had several articles the last few days saying that NEVADA is in the lead, but also that here in AZ Casa Grande and Buckeye are where the possible sites have been focused.

I think no one really knows on this one right now.....at all!

Old 03-28-2014, 04:21 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
Texas is friendly to some businesses, especially the petro business, but not to Tesla. Texas is one of three states that ban direct sale of new motor vehicles by manufacturers. Tesla sells cars direct from factory owned showroom stores or through direct internet sales. Arizona is another state that has a ban on direct sale of new cars by manufacturers, so I doubt if Tesla to want to reward states like AZ or TX with a multi-billion dollar factory if they have been zeroed out from selling their cars direct in those states.

It's ironic that red states like TX and AZ have laws that tell certain businesses how they are supposed to sell their products. Why single out a car manufacturer from direct sales of cars, when every other kind of manufacturer is allowed to sell products how ever they want to? Small government? Free enterprise?

Tesla has its main vehicle assembly plant in Fremont, CA. Tesla needs the battery factory to be adjacent to one of the main transcontinental rail lines for reliable and direct transport to the main factory. Union Pacific is the largest rail line serving California and the southwestern US. Based on UP rail line routes, my guess is that Tesla might consider Las Cruces, NM or Las Vegas, NV for a factory.

The one wild card obstacle that might arise from building the factory in either of those 2 places might be the demand for water. I don't know how big of a demand for water that the Tesla battery factory will have. Anywhere in the southwestern US is going to have concerns about water demand. Maybe southern Idaho would have better water supplies?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:56 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
No. Be sure to drop your application for Circle K off in the morning when the manager's there so you can make a good impression.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
It's ironic that red states like TX and AZ have laws that tell certain businesses how they are supposed to sell their products. Why single out a car manufacturer from direct sales of cars, when every other kind of manufacturer is allowed to sell products how ever they want to? Small government? Free enterprise?

Tesla has its main vehicle assembly plant in Fremont, CA. Tesla needs the battery factory to be adjacent to one of the main transcontinental rail lines for reliable and direct transport to the main factory. Union Pacific is the largest rail line serving California and the southwestern US. Based on UP rail line routes, my guess is that Tesla might consider Las Cruces, NM or Las Vegas, NV for a factory.

The one wild card obstacle that might arise from building the factory in either of those 2 places might be the demand for water. I don't know how big of a demand for water that the Tesla battery factory will have. Anywhere in the southwestern US is going to have concerns about water demand. Maybe southern Idaho would have better water supplies?
Apparently, you can build a fertilizer plant next to an apartment complex in Texas, but not buy a new car over the internet, nor can you have a legal abortion (almost). LOL. I had no idea the same is true in Arizona. Bummer. Regardless of the factory we have to come up longer term with a new solution to the water supply in the West, like pumping Ocean water inland or such.
The rail line connection does make sense, but we also have a good rail connection in Phoenix / Tucson to California. Again, Nevada has more lithium raw material in ground so that may also factor in.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,340,805 times
Here is the latest rumor according to the Republic - Pinal county (Casa Grande or outside of Eloy) being the main proposed sites here in AZ - who knows!

Pinal land considered for planned Tesla factory

Old 04-13-2014, 08:01 PM

Not looking too good here: AZ State Senate not considering bill to allow direct car sales to consumers:
Tesla bill on auto sales dead at Arizona Legislature - Phoenix Business Journal

Old 04-15-2014, 11:16 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,947,000 times
It'll be Texas. Why, because they want business, so they don't throw up a bunch of roadblocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona