U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 07:11 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,982,026 times

Advertisements

"Tell us about something relevant to fracking"....

I'm sure you'll find something relevant in these 161 fracking articles gathered here: ProPublica

Regards
Gemstone1
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 01:24 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,577,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Tell us about something relevant to fracking"....

I'm sure you'll find something relevant in these 161 fracking articles gathered here: ProPublica

Regards
Gemstone1
OK, I'm neither in favor of faith-based abortion restrictions nor faith-based fracking restrictions. Fact is we have been using both processes for a long time safely. Are their sometimes side effects? - Sure, but they do not justify anything close to prohibiting the procedures. Please religious right and religious left stay out of science and technology with your ideology.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:47 PM

209 posts, read 387,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Here are just a few sources for information; however there's an unlimited amount of data when a person takes the time and researches issues surrounding fracking. As long as it’s not my drinking water that is contaminated then things must be alright…… However there isn’t just one accident or one problem with fracking and too many people have had health issues because of fracking on or near their property.

Is fracking behind contamination in Wyoming groundwater? : Nature News & Comment

4,700 Gallons Of Acid Spill At Bradford County Drilling Site | StateImpact Pennsylvania

earthquake | StateImpact Texas

Shell’s Tioga County Methane Geyser Captured On Video | StateImpact Pennsylvania

Perilous Pathways: How Abandoned Wells Can Contribute To Methane Migration Problems | StateImpact Pennsylvania
Thanks for your reply AksarbeN. Interesting reading for sure. I'm still interested in the term "cement casing". Perhaps you can explain.

As I stated earlier, I am familiar with the hydraulic fracturing process as it has been practiced for over 60 years. And while I know the benefits I also am concerned about contamination, especially drinking water contamination.

Hydrocarbon production certainly has its inherent risks as oil and natural gas are in a constant state of migration. I cannot find a case of contamination directly related to fracturing in and of itself.

Many people don't know this but fracturing has been used to enhance production in drilling water wells for over 40 years.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:29 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,982,026 times
"Are their sometimes side effects? - Sure, but they do not justify anything close to prohibiting the procedures"....
Come back and tell me that when your only water supply is tainted.

"Please religious right and religious left stay out of science and technology with your ideology"....Since you quoted me, I'll ask what you considered religious with my post ? As for my ideology...you couldn't be more wrong.....what is it they say about assuming.....?

As for the science of fracking....remember.... once upon a time Physicians used to tap the skull to relieve a headache....until they learned better methods. More debunked scientific practices: 10 worst

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-01-2014, 09:43 PM

31,304 posts, read 29,644,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAEL J View Post
Thanks for your reply AksarbeN. Interesting reading for sure. I'm still interested in the term "cement casing". Perhaps you can explain.

As I stated earlier, I am familiar with the hydraulic fracturing process as it has been practiced for over 60 years. And while I know the benefits I also am concerned about contamination, especially drinking water contamination.

Hydrocarbon production certainly has its inherent risks as oil and natural gas are in a constant state of migration. I cannot find a case of contamination directly related to fracturing in and of itself.

Many people don't know this but fracturing has been used to enhance production in drilling water wells for over 40 years.
The well casing is steel pipe that is inserted into a drilled section of a borehole and cemented in place.

As the borehole gets drilled deeper, smaller diameter casing sections are inserted within the previous casing.

Pennsylvania regulations indicate that casing must be cemented with an ASTM-approved cement to a minimum of 50 feet deeper than the deepest fresh groundwater.

The cement is intended to isolate the casing from groundwater and prevent natural gas from leaking up around the outside of the pipe, a condition that can potentially allow gas to enter the groundwater supply or cause gas to escape at the surface.

If the pipe and or the cement casing are defective or cracked leaks can occur into the ground near the borehole and the nearby water table becomes contaminated. Spills of chemicals on the ground also sink into the area and then into the water table or wells nearby. Accidents can happen at any time for any industry regardless of the type of work, however not all of the accidents cause irreversible chemical spills into drinking water. Human and livestock health issues are always a concern for nearby property owners when water, air and ground become contaminated with any of the more than 300 chemicals used in fracking.

I’m sure that the oil and gas industry has not had a record free of accidents during the 60 years of fracturing. There have been documented cases reports in PA, WY, TX for contaminated water tables that occurred after the nearby fracking process. Chemical spills are another questionable concern and have occurred throughout the years.

The oil and gas industry has a very strong influence in Washington and elsewhere with their lobbyists and CEO pushing for protection from environmental accidents. Few if any industries receive the same protection from the government.

Those who live and work in the St. Johns & Springerville area have some concerns to think about now that the drilling will begin. The area's future depends on just how safe the company is.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:58 PM

8,390 posts, read 10,485,566 times
Earthquakes would concern me more. Our homes are exactly earthquake safe out here.
Confirmed: Fracking practices to blame for Ohio earthquakes - NBC News

Scientists have known for decades that fracking and wastewater injection can trigger earthquakes. For instance, it appears linked with Oklahoma's strongest recorded quake in 2011, as well as a rash of more than 180 minor tremors in Texas between Oct. 30, 2008, and May 31, 2009.

"The new investigation of the Youngstown earthquakes, detailed in the July issue of the journal Geophysical Research Letters, reveals that their onset, end and even temporary dips in activity were apparently all tied to activity at the Northstar 1 well."

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ke-alec-torres

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?...&jumival=11413

We do have fault lines running through here.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:13 PM

This is a story of Kerr Magee, seems they didn’t want to clean up their pollution they left behind across the country. What an unbelievable mess they’ve left, and the settlement $5.15 Billion isn’t even close to the $25 billion spent on clean up.
Anadarko to Settle Kerr-McGee Cleanup for $5.15 Billion - Bloomberg
This appears to be typical of the energy, gas and oil industry and what they do or don’t do around the country. It’s all about profit for these corporations! They simply don’t make good neighbors in the communities that they’re in or near.

If fracking does occur in the area of St John’s/Springerville hopefully it won’t end up like this mess by Kerr Magee.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:19 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,577,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
This is a story of Kerr Magee, seems they didn’t want to clean up their pollution they left behind across the country. What an unbelievable mess they’ve left, and the settlement $5.15 Billion isn’t even close to the $25 billion spent on clean up.
Anadarko to Settle Kerr-McGee Cleanup for $5.15 Billion - Bloomberg
This appears to be typical of the energy, gas and oil industry and what they do or don’t do around the country. It’s all about profit for these corporations! They simply don’t make good neighbors in the communities that they’re in or near.

If fracking does occur in the area of St John’s/Springerville hopefully it won’t end up like this mess by Kerr Magee.
I agree that was very shady by Kerr-McGee and Anadarko. If my kids make a mess, they have to clean it up and I expect the same of corporations (Don't we say "with liberty and justice for all"?). That said there is no comparison with the fracking record.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:51 PM

8 posts, read 32,359 times
Thank you for all who had replied your info and links were valuable. I have spent hours on the internet researching fracking whether for gas, oil, or both.

What I have found is water in people's wells that have been tested, don't search for the chemicals that these drilling companies use; thus, they could be drinking carcinogenic water. You have to test specifically for these chemicals to see if they are present in the water. Those who have found their water contaminated are those who had tested specifically for those chemicals. The Coconino aquifer could be affected depending on the flow direction and or diffuses. So this could affect everyone's wells from the east of St. Johns to Flagstaff, Cameron, Show Low, Holbrook, Heber, Snowflake, Pinetop, all in-between, and down to Springerville. On top of that, natural occuring toxic minerals are being introduced slowly in small amounts from the soil and rock bed. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that if that is happening slowly, fracking could cause an increase volume of these natural degrading minerals into the water. This is a shame due to Arizona's only valuable resource, is water. Without safe drinkable water, Arizona will be subject to find outside sources for clean water. Colorado is already realizing that some of their water and soil along the Fracking areas are contaminated. Colorado river water flows into Arizona and feeds Arizona's aquifers. (Source for natural occurring minerals degrading drinkability and drop in water levels can be found at Hydrology)

There is big money in drilling for gas and oil. These companies need to trim their profits and use non-toxic chemical to drill. There has to be a win win for both sides without permanently polluting underground water. However, they will continue to bully and discredit those who stand in their way for bringing the truth to the public.

I am not so concerned about the earthquakes fracking causes, but it seems so far does not cause the destruction of the 7.0's. Time will tell on that too. My main concern is not having safe drinkable water. Look at PG&E in California. They built their electrical plants in small communities, knowingly dispersing Hexavalent Chromium 6 in the air at night and into the ground water. Farmers starting to notice an increase birth defects in their animals, then women began to have still births or/and babies born with birth defects along with health issues. Long story short, over fifty years have passed and people who were exposed to those chemicals are still suffering today. No amount of compensation is worth the pain and suffering that were caused to these victims. The once vibrant farm communities are now desolate deserts, fenced off toxic wasteland.

Arizona may be one of the best states to retire to, but in time, what good is it if there isn't any safe drinkable water. The main reason I was looking at St Johns area was for affordable land, the area is beautiful, to have a few animals, grow a garden & fruit trees, and build a net zero house to retire. What good is it to have water delivered if it is taken from the same source. Even if I buy east of St Johns along the Coconino Aquifer, if the pollution flows east, it is like I am drinking out of the same wells. It is only a matter of time.

For those who are not aware of how large the Coconino Aquifer is: "The C-aquifer is the largest and most productive aquifer in the planning area with an areal extent of 21,655 square miles." (from the same report)

I am still baffled as to why Arizona would allow drilling that would eventually pollute this aquifer.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:37 PM

Arizonan’s need to think outside the box and not just for today but for the tomorrows. Big oil & gas simply has too much money and can fill the pockets of legislators & lobbyists to get what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona