Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 08:18 AM

219 posts, read 448,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by themudpuppy View Post
I regret that I didn't move to Arizona a long time ago. I love it here. That said, I do regret the county I moved to. If I could turn the clock back a year and a half I'd pick a different county.

Yikes! Can you be a bit more specific?? What county? Since we're planning a relocation within the next year, I don't want to be surprised by the same mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 09:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Actually we are leaning towards getting an Airstream and permanently hitting the road. Florida, the Gulf Coast, southern California in the winters. Higher elevations, Napa Valley, New England in the summers.
Not to go too far OT, we did that and I can almost guaranty that an Airstream will become too small very,very fast (like the minute you load up to leave).
I'd love to go full time again but the wife isn't so inclined right now.

Back to the OP, regrets? Ummm, don't love it here but it'll work for the time we need to remain (in state tuition for kid). The only regret I've got is I didn't buy more homes when I could (at the bottom of the crash) or that I didn't buy a home on more land.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:30 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
I lived in ShowLow/Lakeside area for about 3 1/2 years. I loved the scenery and the weather. The location was great for traveling to places I wanted to visit (including my inlaws, who lived a few hours away in New Mexico). I wasn't very happy there, socially, however. It might because I had lived so many other places before that, or because I was staying home with my kids for much of that time and found it difficult to meet other parents who had a similar world view. I just found making good friendships difficult there, and the good friends I did make were also transplants, for the most part.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:38 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Not to go too far OT, we did that and I can almost guaranty that an Airstream will become too small very,very fast (like the minute you load up to leave). I'd love to go full time again but the wife isn't so inclined right now.

Back to the OP, regrets? Ummm, don't love it here but it'll work for the time we need to remain (in state tuition for kid). The only regret I've got is I didn't buy more homes when I could (at the bottom of the crash) or that I didn't buy a home on more land.
Size is relative to space. Given the postage stamp size lots that most houses are built on in the Valley - I am willing to part with any "stuff" for wide-open spaces and no neighbors/HOA.

My husband shares your wife's trepidation about going roadie full-time...want to trade?

Old 07-06-2014, 03:23 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtxn View Post
Yikes! Can you be a bit more specific?? What county? Since we're planning a relocation within the next year, I don't want to be surprised by the same mistake
Santa Cruz County. Some people love it, others hate it. I love the beauty here. It's the other stuff I don't like.

Just for starters, there don't appear to be any laws here, or at least very few that are enforced. Zoning regulations are just about non-existant. It's a hotbed for con artists. Anything goes here. Some people might like the "anything goes" attitude, but those of us who have watched our preveriously wonderful neighborhood get taken over by bad people aren't too fond of that attitude right now. My good neighbors and my experiences with the cops here is that if it isn't related to illegals or drugs, it's allowed. Vandalism, harrassment, noise, whatever, the cops tell us there's nothing they can do because there's no law against it in our county.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:44 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
In 1996 came out to AZ from NY for a one week vacation in Sedona, and never returned home.
Hehe, this is cool because I did the same thing in 1996 from California. I traveled all about the state and for me at least, Arizona was much more opportunist for me than where I lived in Cali at the time. Not only that, but I found and met many good folks on my varied travels. I did have to go back to straighten out a few things, but move here in 1997 (to be continued):

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrispy View Post
I lived in ShowLow/Lakeside area for about 3 1/2 years. I loved the scenery and the weather. The location was great for traveling to places I wanted to visit (including my inlaws, who lived a few hours away in New Mexico). I wasn't very happy there, socially, however. It might because I had lived so many other places before that, or because I was staying home with my kids for much of that time and found it difficult to meet other parents who had a similar world view. I just found making good friendships difficult there, and the good friends I did make were also transplants, for the most part.
And that (^) is where I moved in October 1997. I did just fine, but at first I found the same type of things socially. But (at least back then) the test on 'the mountain' was if you stayed through at least one winter you were on your way. I lived there until 2004 when circumstances (or fate, or whatever) had me move to Washington. However, during that time I fit right in. I made myself an Arizonan because as I learned more about the views, not only were some of them already mine, I made the rest of them mine as well. I left my 'old' self back in Cali. I made lots of friends that I still have to this day. And when it came down to my leaving many were bummed.

But that experience, as observer pointed out, will vary vastly from person to person.

Did I regret moving there? A resounding NO! I am just waiting for circumstances, fate, providence, or God to allow me to move back.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:05 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,966 times
Strong correlation between age and answer? What's everyone's age?

Old 07-12-2014, 11:18 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,360 times
Mid thirties. Hope to be out of here by 40 at the latest.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:38 PM

812 posts, read 795,135 times
No regrets moving here. We moved to PHX in 1993 from the Detroit area. We now live in Central AZ (Mayer area) and I commute to PHX for work. Lately we have been getting what we call "desert fatigue" and missing green, trees and rain. But, there is much I love about AZ and I would not move back to MI (even though I miss my family). We have been considering moving somewhere else out west, like WA or OR, but those areas have their own drawbacks. I also don't want to make the "grass is greener" mistake. Of course the grass *would* be greener, but still...

Old 07-14-2014, 06:57 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Strong correlation between age and answer? What's everyone's age?
I moved there when I was 36.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
No regrets moving here. We moved to PHX in 1993 from the Detroit area. We now live in Central AZ (Mayer area) and I commute to PHX for work. Lately we have been getting what we call "desert fatigue" and missing green, trees and rain. But, there is much I love about AZ and I would not move back to MI (even though I miss my family). We have been considering moving somewhere else out west, like WA or OR, but those areas have their own drawbacks. I also don't want to make the "grass is greener" mistake. Of course the grass *would* be greener, but still...
Just go to the mountains for a weekend or two, there's plenty of green in AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona