Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:39 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times

Advertisements

I hope the title does not bring in people thinking I'm trying to be insulting. I'm curious if Arizona tests their pollution levels and how clean are they? It's my understanding that many of them are man made so I wonder how much or often they get fresh water. We visited a lake while out there on vacation and being spoiled from so many of our Michigan lakes I kind of rubbed my brother ( 30 yr plus Az resident) the wrong way when I commented the water looked dirty to me.
Arizona is looking like a stronger possibility for us to move and I plan on getting some water toy's if we do. I'm just curious about the lakes. I know there are not a lot and I also know they all get a lot of use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
One thing almost all midwest lakes have that AZ lakes doesn't is agricultural runoff. Here's a link for more details.

Pollution in Your Area of the United States

Old 09-03-2009, 07:14 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
One thing almost all midwest lakes have that AZ lakes doesn't is agricultural runoff. Here's a link for more details.

Pollution in Your Area of the United States
Or industrial wastes. There really is nothing in the bigger lakes around Phoenix. Roosevelt and Salt River Lakes can get pretty turbid in the upper areas and have logs floating around following flood events. Same thing with the Verde River lakes. Lake Pleasant gets water from CAP canal and is about as clear as tap water. Many of the smaller lakes have mercury problems - don't eat the fish warnings. There are various theories as to where it comes from ranging from natural occurring (most likely) to mining (likely in some cases). The in-town lakes are all murky looking from algae and duck poop. I wouldn't eat a fish from them, but others do and live (I guess).

Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
I would not swim in many of the lakes here due to the pollution, tons of glass bottles sit at the bottom of many of these lakes. If I am out on a boat I will get in the water since it's deep but no way I am coming in from shore.

I have swam in a few lakes up north when I was a kid, but I am not sure exactly what lakes, I know one was near Payson.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:28 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times
I know I am guilty of selective thinking when it comes to our lakes. Because so many I would never even consider taking my kids I guess I don't even think about them. We had metro beach close year after year for awhile due to e coli. When I think about lakes I think of the smaller less used inland lakes because those are the only ones I ever use. Then there is my dream lake up north called Torch, I have never been to a nicer lake in my life. 22 miles long and crystal clear waist level water with sandy bottom all over for fun.

That sucks that you have to contend with glass. People are so stupid. My brother did tell me they have log's that surface one in awhile in some of the lakes because they were just flooded valley's from way back. Hitting one skiing would certainly suck.

Thanks for the info though. I'm sure I would find a favorite if we move out there. What one is really long and is kind of like in a canyon? Almost looks like a river. That seems like it would be cool.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:13 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I know I am guilty of selective thinking when it comes to our lakes. Because so many I would never even consider taking my kids I guess I don't even think about them. We had metro beach close year after year for awhile due to e coli. When I think about lakes I think of the smaller less used inland lakes because those are the only ones I ever use. Then there is my dream lake up north called Torch, I have never been to a nicer lake in my life. 22 miles long and crystal clear waist level water with sandy bottom all over for fun.

That sucks that you have to contend with glass. People are so stupid. My brother did tell me they have log's that surface one in awhile in some of the lakes because they were just flooded valley's from way back. Hitting one skiing would certainly suck.

Thanks for the info though. I'm sure I would find a favorite if we move out there. What one is really long and is kind of like in a canyon? Almost looks like a river. That seems like it would be cool.
Well, there is the Colorado RIVER that actually goes through the Grand Canyon, but I have a feeling you may be talking about Lake Powell, up on the AZ/UT border, close to Page.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:21 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Well, there is the Colorado RIVER that actually goes through the Grand Canyon, but I have a feeling you may be talking about Lake Powell, up on the AZ/UT border, close to Page.
Powell is hundreds of miles of shoreline - more than California coast. Powell is mile upon mile of open ski water. Of the local lakes - Apache is the "snakiest" and the prettiest. It's basically a flooded canyon of the Salt River. Canyon is very cool too, but smaller. It is an unforgettable experience under a full moon. The rocks are simply haunting. Havasu is something like 50 miles long. It seems to be windy every time I go there though.

I think Karma is kind of overblowing the glass issue. Pleasant is the worst for this, but if you get away from where the losers are, its pristine.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:08 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
There's also Lake Mohave, the next lake north of Havasu. 60 miles long and runs all the way to the Hoover Dam. Then of course there's Lake Mead.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:13 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,343 times
Does Apache Lake even have water in it anymore? The last I was through there (Dec 07) the water level was WAY down. There was a small island we'd always drive our boat around... I saw it - it could have been walked to with out even getting wet!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:13 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times
I've swam in Arizona lakes my entire life and I am healthy and don't have any weird deformities or anything, lol. Just don't drink the water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona