U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2006, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 14,653 times

Advertisements

Love Sedona's incredible red rock scenery but can't afford to live in the city proper. Have heard that Cornville (funny name) and perhaps Page Springs are a good alternative. Any input on Cornville would be appreciated.

Also, are the winters relatively mild, ie. 40-50ish? I know what is relative to me is subjective but talking lighter jacket, sweats kinda cold.

Have been offered a job in Sedona and am looking into the surrounding areas.

Thank you for any information you may offer!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 03:08 PM

436 posts, read 602,347 times
Cornville has different types of housing, some trailer living, a lot of tract homes on small lots, and tract and custom built homes on larger lots/acerage. Page Springs has less homes for sale. If you can swing it financially the way to go IMO is to find a large lot and/or ranchette on, or near the greenbelt (irrigated land near the creek) of Page Springs. Georgia F. (owner of LA Rams) has a large spread in Page Springs area that I've checked out because I had a coworker whose parents own 4 acres next door to her. I don't know if she still owns the place though (the rich usually have multiple homes in different places in US & abroad, so they're usually not in any one place too long - in my younger working days I was often in the LA homes of movie stars/and the affluent so I saw how much they tend move around from place to place).

When you live in Arizona it is priceless to have irrigated land that you can plant on/grow flowers/garden/stable horses/etc. My friends parents have goats, chickens and several horses. It really is nice to see green in the desert/prairie land of sparse vegetation, r-o-c-k-s (and rocks and rocks and..) and scrub (and it keeps things a tad cooler in the ferocious summer heat out here). My other suggestion is to consider altitude. When you get up over 4000 feet things get much more visually interesting (IMO), so you might want to look at towns/homes higher up. Avoid the $500K-$225K tract homes on tiny lots at all costs. I call those communities (I use the word 'community with hesitation') 'white ghettos' irrespective of whatever granite counter tops and Mexican tile is used in them. Some tract developments have HOA fees - ask upfront if you're inclined toward this kind of living (second home/55+ community/home for an aged parent). Best choice by a country mile - find irrigated land and space between you and your neighbors. Heed this advice and you'll be thankful you read this here.

Last edited by brian_2; 10-27-2006 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-27-2006, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the reply Brian. Couldn't agree more about some greenry around you with close proximity to any water you can find, in any form.

I call the glorified golf course-type homes, built on every square inch of small lot, rabbit hutches! Appeal to some but not for me. I need some space between myself and the neighbor ..... enough so that you can't reach out and touch the other's house from your side window. Wave hi to Bob barbequing in your back and Suzie next door watering her plants! And do not want to have HOA fees ........ hardly use the services they are suppose to cover and the bill comes around waayy too fast!

At this juncture I'm not quite in the position to purchase a parcel to build (my choice) and will probably lease something for a year to get a feel for where I really want to be. Will be watching for the right spot for sure. Wherever that may be, I know I will be very happy to be breathing the fresh clean air of the Verde Valley or thereabouts.

Thanks again for your input, for me and all the others. Much appreciated.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:56 AM

436 posts, read 602,347 times
"..will probably lease something for a year to get a feel for where I really want to be."

Very wise idea.

I leased in the Sedona area for about a year. Don't feel too bad about not being able to afford real estate in Sedona, Sedona is not all its cracked up to be that's for sure. I got to the point where I hardly even noticed the red rocks as I was too busy trying to drive behind tourists driving ten miles an hour below the speed limit with their camcorders out their windows, and having giant pickup trucks tailgating me driven by angry, aggressive locals headed to/from Cottonwood /Cornville/Camp Verde from their day jobs in Sedona. Did I mention (on another post somewhere?) that Santa Fe has 1000 times better restaurants and stuff to do than Sedona. Sedona (ditto Village of Oak Creek) is really just a small enclave of boredom with good hiking and mountain bike trails, and way too much traffic for a town/village its size. The Oak Creek Canyon drive from Sedona to Flagstaff/Flagstaff to Sedona - now we're talking beautiful! I'd live in Oak Creek Canyon (if I could) in a heartbeat, it's that beautiful.

Just curious. Are you looking to escape that morass in/around the Phoenix area?

Last edited by brian_2; 10-28-2006 at 09:20 AM..

Old 10-28-2006, 12:08 PM

Thanks again for another response Brian. I totally agree with you on your preferences.

I have escaped the congestion and worsening air quality of the Coachella Valley (oh-oh, outed as a Cali-transplant) which is becoming the new Orange County. Could stand the heat but had to get out of the kitchen! Every reason I lived there has gone away and for that reason (sorry to those who live in Phoenix metro area) would never want to be near Phoenix metro. Like LA but without the infrastructure yet to support the tremendous population and vehicle traffic (at least it appears that way to me as I skirt the city on 101). And again, it's all about air quality for me as a recovering toxic mold survivor. Fresh air and vistas ......... the best.

I've spent most of my adult life trying to escape crowds (Tahoe - water, Wahoe Valley - open spaces, Coachella Valley - proximity to major cities with favorable climate) and have always preferred smallish towns for their personality, fresh air, less traffic and low crime. One requisite for me though is a semblence of a close proximity to a music scene, as I am very much into music of all kinds. Don't mind somewhat of a drive because of course I know that you can't have it all in one spot. A drive to Flag, Prescott, or even Phoenix for a great act would be just fine. And yes, I know Cliff Castle books acts but have not been too impressed with the way they handle the shows from the two I have attended - sorry don't mean to offend anyone, just two out of two bad experiences.

The Sedona scene is just what you described. Have friends that live there and I'd never want to have to deal with the toursist traffic (N. Tahoe experience) again if I had a choice ...... left turns impossible. Much easier to drive a short distance to be there and then back home again out of the traffic mess and gridlock. Cornville has red rock views from some areas and the sleepy-town- just-far-enough-out atmosphere is very appealing. And my employment opportunity there (have position lined-up) makes me want to stay close to avoid unnecessary driving.

Flag has a Tahoe/Truckee feel with a youthful atmosphere college towns afford but having lived in Tahoe (and loved it then) I am not fond of the scraping of windshields, ice and snow driving. My bones just don't seem to warm up anymore.

I will definitely take a drive up through Oak Creek Canyon when time permits. I've heard it's beautiful, wondering about accessibility and fire hazard as any canyon area is susceptable. I know much had burned off with the last terrible fire so must be better at least for now than it was and heck, no earthquake fault close by!

Thanks again to any and all who respond.

"Chance favors a prepared mind."

Cheers.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:46 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,377,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedoenym View Post
Love Sedona's incredible red rock scenery but can't afford to live in the city proper. Have heard that Cornville (funny name) and perhaps Page Springs are a good alternative. Any input on Cornville would be appreciated.

Also, are the winters relatively mild, ie. 40-50ish? I know what is relative to me is subjective but talking lighter jacket, sweats kinda cold.

Cornville is very, very tiny. Not much to do there either. Sedona is your best bet.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 AM

323 posts, read 935,264 times
I lived in the Verde Valley for 20 years and Cornville was always considered kind of trashy, you may have a really nice home in one spot and your neighbors have a beat up trailor with a bathtub outside their door. You have to visit Cornville and really search out a nice spot. A place you might want to look at is Lake Montezuma. 20 minutes from Sedona and has a golf course and Verde river running through it. Rimrock is on one side and has trailors and homes and you cross a bridge and Lake Montezuma is on the other it's only zoned for homes..is nicer. Zoning is a big issue around the Verde Valley like I said you have a great house in one spot and have to pass a bunch of run down places to get to it. As far as winter weather, you still need a jacket for warmth and at times sweaters, it get's cool, can be in the 40's in winter.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:59 PM

50 posts, read 238,142 times
I lived in Cottonwod for a year and my thing was I really got bored with it all -Sedona, Cottonwood, Jerome. At first, it's really breathtaking - you NEVER get sick of the beauty or weather up there - but socially, I went nuts - Know that I'm comparing it to DC or Minneapolis... The poster that said to lease is right on the money. See what you think of it all after 1-2 years...with the real estate downturn, the land and housing cost may be flattened up there - it was getting brisk the time I was up there - best of luck- it is very beautiful in the whole region - Verde Valley - stunning.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedoenym View Post

You will love Cornville, There is a community called Verde Santa Fe that would make a wonderful home. Build a new home or look at the re-sale market. Half the price of Sedona and just 10 minutes away.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 09-06-2009 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: No advertising...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona