Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 01:52 PM

6 posts, read 19,746 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about Yuma. I have some family in Az and CA, and decided on Yuma since my parents live there and its very easy to travel to see the rest of the family. So it the weather really that bad? How are the schools? Illegals? Other crimes? Things to do, even if its not in Yuma?
my parents do live there, and Ive been there a few times, but I still dont know much about it, my parents woldnt know about schools or things that would interest me and stuff, and being there once a year doesnt really tell me anything either. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 08:38 PM

456 posts, read 1,502,233 times
LOL, you are going to get a lot haters in this thread!

Oh no! Its hot here! Yuma is Boring! Yuma smells!

I take it you have been here, so no need to describe the town. I'd say education is on a par with the rest of Az, neither world class or hopelessly poor. Disclaimer: I'm a retired teacher, and my wife, daughter and niece are all teachers here.

It is hotter than blue blazes here in July,Aug and Sept. Buying a house with a pool was the best thing I ever did, makes living here easier. As far as things to do, it depends on what you are looking for. Lots of people will tell you there is nothing to do here, but I disagree. I came to Yuma when I was 13, went to High School here, etc. My friends and I always found things to do, and the same is true as an Adult. My family likes to be outdoors, so we spend time out in the desert (winter) or on the river (summer).
One of my favorite bumper stickers around here: If you can't take the summer, you don't deserve the winter!

The dunes are less than 20 miles away and Mexico is closer. I've personally never had any problems with an illegal alien, and I don't know anyone who has. I have been on the El Camino Del Diablo lots of times, camping within 4 miles of the border, never had a problem.

Crime? Well, it depends on where you live, again, I've been here 40 years this summer, I can count on 1 hand the problems I've had with crime. Most of those occurred when we lived near Kennedy park, mostly caused by kids going to the park.

If you can be more specific in what you are interested in, or have questions about,I'll be glad to try and answer them.

Curly

Last edited by curly5759; 10-31-2010 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-31-2010, 08:45 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,044,504 times
Yeah, I'm gonna go with saying it would be a bad place to live, but that is just me.....add to the above first sentence that radio stations don't come in. To me, Yuma was made for people to get to SD from Phx.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:11 PM

13,247 posts, read 21,862,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrah View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna go with saying it would be a bad place to live, but that is just me.....add to the above first sentence that radio stations don't come in. To me, Yuma was made for people to get to SD from Phx.
Curious as to your frame of reference. Have you ever lived in Yuma?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:35 AM

861 posts, read 2,193,762 times
Its hot...as in very hot....as in Very, VERY hot...even VERY, VERY, VERY, HOT!!!!!!!!

Nice town though....

Old 11-01-2010, 03:17 PM

6 posts, read 19,746 times
So you guys are saying that its hot. Is it real hot, or the dry hot. Like some people say that it feels like 10 degrees cooler and stuff because its a dry heat. Like if its 90 in Arizona it fells like 80 degrees or something in the more humid place that youre ussed to, if that makes sense.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:19 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
So you guys are saying that its hot. Is it real hot, or the dry hot. Like some people say that it feels like 10 degrees cooler and stuff because its a dry heat. Like if its 90 in Arizona it fells like 80 degrees or something in the more humid place that youre ussed to, if that makes sense.
Sometimes. But Yuma is also one of the more humid places in AZ due to its proximity to the Gulf of California. In summer, low level moisture gets drawn up the Gulf to combine with 115+ temps creating miserable conditions at times. Other times, it is more the head-in-the-oven kind of heat. Winters are good.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM

456 posts, read 1,502,233 times
Quote:
It starts to warm up here around May, beautiful mornings, warm afternoons. By the end of June, the mornings aren't quite as nice, but still tolerable, afternoons in the low 100's. Humidity is very low, but these are the days when the temperature can spike into the mid-110s

Sometime in July the Monsoon begins. Phx, Tucson, the Mogollon rim get rain, we get humidity. That is when the fun begins! Mornings start at the low 80's and sticky, the humidity usually drops as the day goes on, but it is never very nice. The humidity will stick around till sometime in mid to late September. The higher humidity keeps the temps from going as high, but that is a poor trade off.

Personally, I think September is the hottest month in Yuma, but maybe that is because I am sick of the heat by then. Our mild winter more than makes up for it though. When May rolls around again, I have forgotten last years heat and am ready for another season in the pool/river.

Curly

Old 11-02-2010, 12:56 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,148,022 times
LOL the poor radio reception. I am in Calexico (same media market as Yuma) and have the same problem. I just assumed it was because I was 50 miles west. I guess the radio tower isn't very high or something must be going on.

I would say that local TV is lacking, mainly the news. Very hoky poky and makes you want to turn it off. They seem to air the same newscast once and re-run it a lot vs. updating it live. The weather segment is done by the newscaster on one channel and the other has a different person but I don't think she is even a meteorologist. ABC here doubles as FOX and the CW. We need better TV affiliates for sure. Cable is a MUST lol.

It does smell here, I think that must be due to the flatness and low elevation combined with the heat. I would be interested in hearing theories as to why it seems to be exasperated here (imo). In Calexico it also smells like farm byproducts in addition to the raw sewage smell that comes from manholes.

Despite those negative factors, I don't think this is a bad area to live in per se. It is affordable, nice winters, easy access to LA, San Diego or Phoenix, beautiful scenery with the mountains and desert, many homes and businesses are new and attractively designed....and people for the most part are laid back. I don't think crime is a big deal in the area either, especially due to the abundance of border patrol officers.

It may be boring to live here, but most people counter that by going to Mexico or PHX/SD/LA when they have a day or two off.

If you are coming from a big city, and have a negative attitude about the move, you will hate it. If you are coming from a smaller city and have a neutral attitude, you will adjust fine. If you want a slower pace in general, you will also like it.

Oh yes, the heat is just as described. No sugar coating that, it sucks, but then again, ifyou lived in Minneapolis the weather there would suck for a good part of the year too, so it's a trade off.

Make sure you can get a job here, the market is tough and the few that are out there don't pay too well, that is another reason people complain about the region. If you get a sustainable job, you will do fine.

Good Luck!

Old 11-03-2010, 10:52 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,947,508 times
Quote:
no its not a dry heat always in the summer its humid and getting worse, when we say hot turn on your hair dryer and blow it in your face thats summer heat. without cool down at night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona