Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,907,209 times

Advertisements

Okay, just spent some time in AZ, tried to figure out the culture/vibe of your state, but was unable to do so.

Here in Texas, we have a culture that the world knows about, in fact people come here to Austin for our world class BBQ and TexMex food. I originally came from Louisiana, land of Zydeco, Jazz, and Cajun cooking. In both societies, you are thoroughly immersed in the culture of the region.

When going through New Mexico, I could feel the Native American/Mexican vibes. It's like a Native American version of Tejano culture. You experience that quite nicely in Santa Fe.

In Arizona, I couldn't figure out what to think. The NE part of the state has a lot of gas stations and stores that sell Native American stuff, but the stores are mainly corrugated metal and don't have the class like in NM. Flagstaff seemed like a college town in Colorado, with lots of young and attractive people, I've been to Phoenix before and it seemed like sprawl-ville to me, and my wife used to live in Yuma and she said people pretty much just stay inside, not much culture except for going to the lake or on the river.

This time we also stayed overnight in Tucson, which I had heard about being the "Austin" of Arizona, but instead of finding a progressive town I found a town that seemed to be very industrial. When I asked for a restaurant recommendation, the hotel lobby recommended a truck stop restaurant, which had decent food but not what I was expecting from AZ.

I've talked to many people from AZ, they all seem to be fairly nice and all, they said that AZ doesn't have an identity because it has been so overwhelmed by waves of NE/Midwest transplants, then followed by CA transplants. They said that even at Cardinal games, the fans for the opposing team usually out number the home team.

Also, they told me people have moved to AZ but they don't tend to try to blend in with the culture. They want OH style lawns, etc... When you look at NM, you'll see much more successful use of xeroscaping, despite a slightly cooler and wetter climate (but still arid).

Okay, so does AZ have a culture and if so, what is it?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:21 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,446,261 times
Pool parties

Old 08-05-2014, 11:36 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,182,692 times
Saguaro hugging.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:43 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,962,966 times
Culture is too expensive. They want $150 for a concert series by locals. Heck REO Speedwagon AND Chicago are playing together for $40 bucks. Culture? Gimme a beer and let's hear some rock n roll and then go 4 wheeling!

Or...

Culture, yeah we got culture. Gun culture!

Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,907,209 times
Thanks for proving me right

Old 08-06-2014, 10:08 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,487,367 times
Rugged individualism, basically just leave me alone to do what I want. That and good Mexican food.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
I think you are asking about one aspect of "culture" and the ones who are responding are talking about something else. I don't think it is cultureless either way.

The Hispanic influence is here in the culture, although it's not the same as the Tex-Mex you describe, and not as pervasive. I submit that Texas would have a unique culture, in that respect, even if it did not border Mexico. We do have a lot of transplants from other northern places, and from California (where the Hispanic influence is there but also diluted by all THEIR transplants) so the Hispanic influence, while certainly a factor, is not as pervasive as in Texas.

"Cuiture" in terms of the arts (music, theatre, dance, art) is a different thing, and you got some flip answers on that aspect of culture.

I think the transplants rooting for the other team issue really has nothing to do with either definition of culture. That's human nature. Some eventually adopt the home team, others do not.

If you think you have been proven right by four flip answers on an internet forum, then good for you.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:12 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,618,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Thanks for proving me right
Dude... Arizona doesn't need anybody else's idea of "culture". This is where the wild west has always been - and still is. People here are more than happy to be left to their own ideas and freedoms, without needing to be defined by anyone else. Besides, it sounds like you already have your mind made up about Arizona anyway!

Old 08-06-2014, 10:13 AM

921 posts, read 1,132,988 times
When I visited Arizona a few summers ago, it seemed to be a pretty nice place which is why I'm considering a move there in the near future. I did find the environment to be pretty friendly, blue collar, and rugged as another poster mentioned. It's pretty opposite of what I'm used to in the DC Area.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:31 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
I just think the OP didnt spend enough time in AZ to get a true feel. The Native American culture here isnt as pronounced as New Mexico, but its definitely here. All one needs is to spend some time up near, say, Four Corners, etc, to experience that. The Spanish/Mexican culture also isnt as visible here as Santa Fe, but its here, too. I think Tucson has a more visible Spanish influence than Phoenix, perhaps you should have spent more time there.

Our stores might not be "high class" like those you found around Santa Fe, but thats part of the charm IMO. New Mexico also has it share of chintzy, run down stores selling Native American crafts, too. Santa Fe is a nice place, but its an odd mix of Native/Spanish/yuppie culture, and its kinda goofy. Strolling through downtown Santa Fe, I didnt know what to think. People asking $1,500 for a Native American sculpture, set under jewelry lights and a glass case, in a gallery that sells $100,000 paintings? Pfft. Id prefer to buy from the Natives directly at the Palace of the Governors! Santa Fe is for yuppies, Id take Old Town Scottsdale any day... the stores are smaller, musty, with an Old West vibe in some of them. Granted there are ridiculous art galleries on the west side of Scottsdale Road, but...

Regarding food, there are TONS of great Mexican joints around Phoenix, and IMO, they rival anything you can get in NM. We dont do the green chile thing here too much, perhaps thats why I like it more.

Yes, there are lots of transplants here, obviously. The vast majority are from CA, it seems like half this state is Californians who've relocated. Lots of Midwesterners, lots from the NE, lots from the South (I see TX plates all over the dang place). My neighbors are from CA, CO, TX, and FL (and us ex-Illinoisans). Come winter youll see tons of Canadian, MT, NB, ND, SD, CO, ID, etc, plates. Oh, and TONS of WA and OR transplants as well.

Sporting events? Naturally people still love to root for their old hometown faves, but most here take the Cards under their wings, no pun intended. I see so many cars with Cowboys and Cards stickers, Giants and Cards stickers, etc, both displayed on their windows. I actually think the Cards fans outnumber rival fans at least 70/30. Hockey is a different story... But, it was the same back in Chicago, too. Whenever the Wings or Wild or Blues would play the Hawks, half the crowd would be for the opposing team. Thats just a fact you have to live with when you live in a big city. Youll naturally have a lot of transplants cheering for their old team. Since then the Hawks have grown immensely in popularity after winning two Cups, but youll still see tons of opposing fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona