Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:18 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times

Advertisements

Reading Nick Russell's books on this fictional town. Fascinated. Is there such a place or is that a well kept secret?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 08:39 PM

525 posts, read 279,460 times
There is.

Big Lake is one of the best fishing lakes in the White Mountains. This is due to its large size, productivity, and visitor amenities. At over 500 acres in size, it is about twice the size of Hawley Lake, which is 260 acres.

Big Lake sits at an elevation of 9,000 feet, which is somewhat higher than the 8,200 feet Hawley Lake sits at. Both lakes have very good catch rates for trout, which is after the winter ice melts sometime in April. These catching rates continue to get better until the lake closes for the winter in mid-late November. The only way to get to Big Lake in the winter is by snowmobile. Hawley Lake however, is open all year despite the cold and snowy winters. Personally I would prefer to go to Hawley Lake since they don't allow gas-powered motors. This probably results in the water being much cleaner, which in turn makes the fish safer to eat. Nonetheless, Big Lake doesn't allow gas motors that are greater than 10 horsepower, so I don't think it would have too much of an effect on the quality of the fish that live in the lake.

Some nearby lakes are Crescent Lake (with a slightly higher elevation and smaller size) and Lee Valley Lake (the highest lake in Arizona, at 9,420 feet). Like Big Lake, these lakes are only accessible during the winter months by snowmobile. This is due to the roads closing down as a result of snow and ice. Hawley Lake is also decently close, but during the winter, you would have to take a much longer route to get there due to the closed roads. All of these lakes would be great places to fish for trout, but out of all of them, I'd suggest either Hawley Lake or Big Lake. In the end though, which lake you choose to fish at is entirely up to you.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:18 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
This is going to top my list of things to do. Thoughts of not fishing haunted me when I left Minnesota.

Thank you!

Old 03-20-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
This is going to top my list of things to do. Thoughts of not fishing haunted me when I left Minnesota.

Thank you!
You're very welcome! Hope you have fun fishing at the lakes!

Old 03-21-2018, 07:03 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,804 times
Yes, but Big Lake is not a town, hehe. It is a lake. I'll agree, between the two, I'll fish Hawley anytime. Not only because of the motor thing, but Big Lake sits pretty much in the midst of a large meadow so there isn't hardly any tree cover near the shore. Hawley on the other hand is well in the forest. Hawley lake is where I fell in love with the mountain in 1972.

But, Hawley is getting too well known now and very crowded. I'll fish Reservation lake now. It is just past Big Lake.

Curious though, how do you get to Hawley in the winter? They close SR 473. It is closed now. Do you go around the long way via Upper Log camp?

Old 03-21-2018, 07:36 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
Back in the early '60s, my family would rent a trailer and camp at Sheep's Crossing outside of Springerville and my dad would love to fish the streams around there. We also would go to Big Lake and, I think, Crescent Lake as well. We did that for a few years. In 2007, I drove my parents to Springerville and we stayed in the Reed's Motel there just for the memory of it. I am glad we did as they both passed on in '10 and '11.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:20 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Back in the early '60s, my family would rent a trailer and camp at Sheep's Crossing outside of Springerville and my dad would love to fish the streams around there. We also would go to Big Lake and, I think, Crescent Lake as well. We did that for a few years. In 2007, I drove my parents to Springerville and we stayed in the Reed's Motel there just for the memory of it. I am glad we did as they both passed on in '10 and '11.
Ahhh, the memories! Every summer our family would stay in the "South Fork" cabins just outside Springerville. I lost a couple of fishing poles at Big Lake.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Yes, but Big Lake is not a town, hehe. It is a lake. I'll agree, between the two, I'll fish Hawley anytime. Not only because of the motor thing, but Big Lake sits pretty much in the midst of a large meadow so there isn't hardly any tree cover near the shore. Hawley on the other hand is well in the forest. Hawley lake is where I fell in love with the mountain in 1972.

But, Hawley is getting too well known now and very crowded. I'll fish Reservation lake now. It is just past Big Lake.

Curious though, how do you get to Hawley in the winter? They close SR 473. It is closed now. Do you go around the long way via Upper Log camp?
I have never been to Hawley Lake before, but I really want to go there whenever the opportunity presents itself. One thing I would love to do while up there is row a boat on the lake. I would also like to enjoy the fresh air that is as a result of the Ponderosa pine trees.

If it's true that all of the White Mountain roads are closed during the winter, the only way to get to Hawley Lake, Big Lake, Crescent Lake, or Lee Valley Lake from December to March is by snowmobile.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:58 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,804 times
Oh, ok. You wrote almost like you'd been there many times so that is why I asked. Just for the record, not all the roads in the White Mountains close for the winter We do have to get to work, hehe.

I used to row a boat around on Hawley when I was a kid. I would put my pole in the crook of the middle of the boat, put on a super duper, troll and catch a bunch of fish. Memories.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:14 PM

656 posts, read 813,821 times
I would recommend the drive south on 261 to the lake. And 273 is nice, too. Beautiful area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: