Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:14 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,548,799 times

Advertisements

This thread needs to stay on the topic of the OP, with a local (state) focus. Posts outside the topic will be deleted. Also, and more importantly, keep the discussion civil, within the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:39 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
It's more than you think and more than the study you posted. I feel its closer to 7% to 10%

I grew up in a small farming community. There were typically anywhere from 70 to 100 in our school who graduated every year. Being that we lived in such a small town one really got to know all his class mates and the ones a year infront and behind. I had 76 in my class and I know of 6 of in class that were gay, 4 guys and two girls, and it is very possible there could be one or two more that are gay and still in the closet. My sister is one year younger and Had 98 in her class, we know of 7 in her class. The class before me had around 85 and we know of 9 of them that are gay.

Take it for whats its worth, I'm sure you will not agree with me.
I'm pretty certain the percentage is higher too.

In a lot of cases it's hard to tell a GLBT person from a straight person, and a fair share of them still may not truthfully identify themselves as such.

I consider the ruling a huge victory not only for Arizona and the other states but for civil rights as a whole.

Contrary to what the religious zealots and bigots claim this is a civil rights issue.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:50 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,265,167 times
I used to live in Benson Arizona, so I was surprised to see it so late having same-sex marriage. I never really thought of Arizona as being backwards and regressive until recently. It now seems like it belongs more in the Bible belt than the Sunbelt.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:57 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,987,809 times
Just an FYI, the state voters did not change their opinion, the activist 9th court changed the law. Opinions remain the same, good or bad.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:05 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,908,180 times
Quote:
I used to live in Benson Arizona, so I was surprised to see it so late having same-sex marriage. I never really thought of Arizona as being backwards and regressive until recently. It now seems like it belongs more in the Bible belt than the Sunbelt.
Gosh, I guess you're totally right. Also, I used to think Tulsa was like a right wing turd sprinkled with burnt hair, but now I think of it as a progressive wonderland that could give SF a run for its money. Thx for letting us know how backwards we are.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:05 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,548,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
Just an FYI, the state voters did not change their opinion, the activist 9th court changed the law. Opinions remain the same, good or bad.
The Ninth Circuit applied the Constitution and existing case law, including Supreme Court decisions, to the statute and amendment in question, and ruled on their constitutionality. That's their job. Just like every other court that's ruled on the question.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:08 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,797 times
Quote:
I have to disagree on this point, I don't think this state is anything at all like the bible belt.

A large share of people in Arizona might lean conservative on financial matters but most of the people I know are fairly progressive or nonchalant about social issues.

[off topic]

Last edited by observer53; 10-21-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 10-20-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Gosh, I guess you're totally right. Also, I used to think Tulsa was like a right wing turd sprinkled with burnt hair, but now I think of it as a progressive wonderland that could give SF a run for its money. Thx for letting us know how backwards we are.
You're welcome!

Old 10-20-2014, 09:11 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,708,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
You're certainly wrong about the "activist court" assertion. The (many) courts did their job in determining that same sex marriage bans don't pass constitutional scrutiny. I also believe that you're wrong regarding the court of popular opinion. The majority of Americans now support SSM and I believe the same would be true of Arizonans. After all, everyone always claims how "live and let live" they/we are.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I have to disagree on this point, I don't think this state is anything at all like the bible belt.

A large share of people in Arizona might lean conservative on financial matters but most of the people I know are fairly progressive or nonchalant about social issues.

The reason Arizona seems backward lately is all the stupidity from the knuckleheads in the government, mostly the legislature and MCSO.

I'm hoping that will change some after the upcoming election.

It just seems like every time I turn around I see something on the news about some crazy right-wing BS coming out of Arizona. I always think to myself Arizona? Seems like something I would see in Oklahoma or Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona