Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It's not just government-related issues either. Things like car insurance rates are calculated based on marital status.

There are many implications.

Ken
True, good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 07:14 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,456,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post

Religion is not an excuse to break the law.
It's been made very clear that individual pastors retain the right to decline to marry any couple. They always had that. This decision does NOT change that.

Good friends of mine were among the plaintiffs. I am so proud of them for stepping forward, and so happy for them, and everyone else affected as well.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:45 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It's been made very clear that individual pastors retain the right to decline to marry any couple. They always had that. This decision does NOT change that.
Exactly. Religion is completely irrelevant in civil marriage. Not sure why it was brought up to begin with.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:45 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,256,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post

Good friends of mine were among the plaintiffs. I am so proud of them for stepping forward, and so happy for them, and everyone else affected as well.
That is so cool! If you think about it, you got to witness first hand history being made, and your friends played a very important part in that history. Great day for Arizona, great day for USA!

Old 10-17-2014, 10:08 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,965,273 times
Thanks again for the positive comments. Regarding the religious angle, speaking for myself I see no reason to force gay marriage on churches who don't support it. I am not a believer in diety, but there are legal and personal commitment aspects to marriage beyond the church ceremony.

HOWEVER, I do have problems with any business open to the public that discriminates against any group. There is NO difference from a civil rights stand point between saying, "No Colored Allowed," "No Guns," or "No cakes for gays."

It is all discrimination. Plain and simple. If you are open for business you need to be open for everyone.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,456,095 times
Let's keep this thread on t he marriage issue, and keep the business discrimination issue for another thread- thanks.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:51 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,502,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Aside from the tax implication, you could argue that all other items could be handled by an attorney. I'm all for marriage equality while the government is in the marriage business, however, I would like to see them get out of it altogether.
You could argue it, but you would be wrong, barely more than 400 of those 1049 rights granted by the Federal government can be wrought through legal means and at a significantly higher cost then that of a marriage license. As is marriage works as well as those rights.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:53 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,160,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
People have a right to sue. Leave it up to the court to decide whether the lawsuit has merit. If some local business need to be forced to comply with anti discrimination laws, so be it. The days of quietly accepting discrimination are over.
Sexual Orientation is still not a protected class YET. I am sure that will change soon on the Federal Level but right now there are a patchwork of local ordinances dealing with it. Of course anyone has the right to sue...I was just trying to point out that actively pursuing a particular business that is owned by a bigot does nothing more than fire up the rest of them. We have enough problems in this country without creating more.

Again....congratulations to the couples that were finally able to legally seal their commitment to each other yesterday and in the future. Hopefully now we can all see people as just people and love them for who they are. Time to take off those Rainbow Shades, Arizona.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:24 PM

570 posts, read 1,003,304 times
Arizona is becoming more tolerant every day.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:49 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,284,603 times
I've always said that if gays want to get married, they should be able to. Doesn't affect my life one way or the other, and really doesn't affect anybody else's for that matter. Here's my concern about this ruling: it goes against the will of the voters. Granted, there never really should have been propositions like these on the ballots stating what defines marriage and what doesn't. But hindsight is always 20/20 ... and the fact is that majority of the voters did pass the ban on same sex marriage in 2008 after defeating a similar measure in 2006 that went way too far.

For the record: I voted against the ban on same sex marriage in both '06 & '08 because I don't think the gov't has any business in marriage, and I don't care for laws that discriminate against certain groups of people. What I have a problem with is a judicial or legislative body overriding what the voters decided (even as wrong as the marriage ban was). If it was decided by the voters, then it should have been left up to the voters to overturn it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona