Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 06:52 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You should quit while you're behind. Seeing that state-level marriage amendments have already been thrown out, what you're proposing is simply a bigot's wish with no footing in reality. Either way, it would be a completely wasteful exercise.

Prohibition is yet another irrelevant bit, not even remotely related to the topic at hand. For starters, it impacted EVERYONE and didn't single out one particular group.
-----------------------
You missed my point. I'm not saying I would even be in favor of an amendment to ban SSM. I'm simply pointing out that if an amendment was passed, the courts would have zero further say in the matter.
And I used the example of prohibition -- once that amendment was in the constitution, there was nothing that any court in the country could do to allow the sale of alcohol. It was unconstitutional. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 07:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
-----------------------
You missed my point. I'm not saying I would even be in favor of an amendment to ban SSM. I'm simply pointing out that if an amendment was passed, the courts would have zero further say in the matter.
And I used the example of prohibition -- once that amendment was in the constitution, there was nothing that any court in the country could do to allow the sale of alcohol. It was unconstitutional. Period.
It's not just a hypothetical, it's an impossibility. Marriage is a state issue which is why these bans are falling state by state. To that point, there HAVE been constitutional amendments banning same sex marriage and they are being thrown out left and right. I'm still not sure what your point is. You're talking about something that cannot happen. Why, I'm not sure.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:20 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
It does not happen that often, but sometimes the majority of voters pass a law that tramples on the rights of a minority. That is why the courts have to step in and defend the rights of the aggrieved members of the minority group.

Then why should citizens vote on anything at all? Well, to elect candidates is one reason. Another reason is to enact amendments and laws that almost always passes constitutional muster ... but there are exceptions ... and the federal courts, the circuit courts of appeals, and the Supreme Court (as in the cases of Windsor v. The United States and Hollingsworth v. Perry) determined this was one of those rare exceptions andhas overwhelmingly ruled in favor of gay folks having the right to marry the partner they love.
And it is a minority....a veeeery small minority.

About 1.6% of adults, Gay and 0.7% bisexual. In other words 2.3% of the population is either Gay or Bisexual.

96.6% are straight and 1.1% didnt have an answer.

So congratulations to all you Gay folk....no other group of people with such a tiny percentage of the population has been able to wield change, influence public policy, and change public opinion like you have.

Boggles the mind.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:32 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,488,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post

About 1.6% of adults, Gay and 0.7% bisexual. In other words 2.3% of the population is either Gay or Bisexual.

So congratulations to all you Gay folk....no other group of people with such a tiny percentage of the population has been able to wield change, influence public policy, and change public opinion like you have.

Boggles the mind.
It matters not how small the minority is, Dude, the majority does not have the right to vote on their rights. You are dead wrong on percentages, more than 2% are gay and of the straight folk, a lot more of them are bi then let on. I believe that in some states, Asians are fewer than gays, you do not get to vote on their rights either. Understand how that works? No majority has the right to vote on any minority, no matter how small that minority is, that would be tyranny of the majority.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
It matters not how small the minority is, Dude, the majority does not have the right to vote on their rights. You are dead wrong on percentages, more than 2% are gay and of the straight folk, a lot more of them are bi then let on. I believe that in some states, Asians are fewer than gays, you do not get to vote on their rights either. Understand how that works? No majority has the right to vote on any minority, no matter how small that minority is, that would be tyranny of the majority.
Health survey gives government its first large-scale data on gay, bisexual population - The Washington Post

Old 10-19-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Boggles the mind.
Even if we assume your numbers are accurate, that's about 9,000,000 people in this country. Are you saying since it's 'only' 9 million people that it's ok to discriminate against them? I don't see what's mind boggling about extending equal rights to 9 million Americans.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:58 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------
Just an FYI -- the will of the people DOES matter when it comes to the constitution. That is why it is possible to add an amendment. It's not easy, but it is possible. I admit I'm rusty on the specifics but an amendment COULD be added that would outlaw gay marriage, nation-wide. And there would not be a damn thing that the courts could do about it.
The problem with state constitutional amendments is that they can, as here, violate the federal constitution. Determining that lies in the hands of the federal judiciary. So, Judge Sedwick, like federal judges for centuries before him, did his job. Federal constitutional amendment is outside the scope of this thread.

Last edited by observer53; 10-20-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Even if we assume your numbers are accurate, that's about 9,000,000 people in this country. Are you saying since it's 'only' 9 million people that it's ok to discriminate against them? I don't see what's mind boggling about extending equal rights to 9 million Americans.
At what point did I even remotely suggest that?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
At what point did I even remotely suggest that?
What other reason did you have for pointing out the implied small number of gays? Based on the passive aggressive "boggled mind" comment as well as previous posts where you've referred to homosexuality as a perversion among other derogatory terms, it wasn't particularly difficult to read between the lines.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
What other reason did you have for pointing out the implied small number of gays? Based on the passive aggressive "boggled mind" comment as well as previous posts where you've referred to homosexuality as a perversion among other derogatory terms, it wasn't particularly difficult to read between the lines.
At no point in this conversation have I said that discrimination is ever ok...you are reading between the lines.

And it does boggle the mind that such a small group can have such a huge impact on public policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona