Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:57 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,361,640 times

Advertisements

At my job we accrue vacation. So 20 days per year is .833 days per pay period or 1.66 days per month. I just gave my two weeks notice this past Monday. I have two vacation days left and they're telling me my last day has to be 12/23 and they won't let me use the two days I have left. I asked if I could just take off the next two days and then come in Mon. and Tues. next week. Nope. And they won't pay those unused days out. Is this legal?

Also, as we are paid commissions quarterly, they will prorate my Q4 commission by a week, even though I said I'd be happy to come in 12/30 and 12/31 so I'll have the full Q4. Nope, won't let me. We have no billing past this Friday, so from a revenue standpoint, I will be there for the full quarter. Do I have any legal recourse when they dock my Q4 commission payout by a week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 07:27 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,241,227 times
No, they do not have to in Arizona. Most companies have a policy on when they will and when they will not pay out accrued PTO on an employee leaving. Most won't let you use accrued vacation to meet the recommended notice period.

I don't pay out accrued PTO if they fail to give proper notice or if they are terminated for cause.

It depends on your commission structure. You may have legal recourse if your commission is earned based off specific work you did that had a specific commission for that work regardless of when it is paid.

LBTRS, MHRM, SPHR
HR Director

Old 12-17-2014, 07:34 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,361,640 times
But I gave proper notice and they just made this policy up on the fly. Employee handbook says otherwise.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:40 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,241,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
But I gave proper notice and they just made this policy up on the fly. Employee handbook says otherwise.
They will lose a legal challenge every time if they are not following their own policy.

The proper notice is my companies policy, your company might not have the same policy as to when they will and won't pay out accrued PTO.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:59 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,245,456 times
I've left two national companies and the ledger was settled each time .... Both showed me the door on notice day and paid me two weeks in addition

Old 12-18-2014, 06:42 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,710,858 times
Quote:
Two weeks notice is for suckers.

Burn all your vacation/sick time, quit on the day that's most advantagious to you financially (usually the day before your new job starts).

Most companies aren't giving "references" anymore (good or bad) & you've now seen personally what "doing the right thing" gets you.

There is effectively no enforcement of labor laws in Arizona, except in the most grievous cases (and even then, the employee is often doing "self" enforcement via a civil suit), so just embrace the "suck" & look out for #1.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:46 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,144,930 times
If your company has a policy to pay out vacation time as earned wages then yes they are required to. Here's the Arizona statute on this stating that all earned wages are due to the employee.

Format Document

*after more searching*

Here's another quick article.

Pay unused vacation time? Depends on company policy

Basically it sounds like if your company has paid this out to other past employees they are required to do so for you. If it's their policy to NOT do this then they don't have to. Personally I would re-read your employee handbook and request a meeting with your HR person to look into this further. Good luck!

Old 12-18-2014, 07:47 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,144,930 times
Quote:
I just saw this comment and that your handbook says they do have to pay you. You are then 100% entitled to that pay. Don't back down!

Old 12-18-2014, 08:51 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Contact the Labor Department at the Industrial Commission. They may have a process that will help you.

http://www.ica.state.az.us/Labor/Labor_WagClm_main.aspx

Last edited by observer53; 12-18-2014 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 08:54 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,081,929 times
Eh. Is it worth all the time and trouble?
Employers in AZ pretty much do whatever they want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: