Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 08:44 PM

85 posts, read 473,526 times

Advertisements

So i moved to AZ 3 years ago. At the time moving, my car passed emission test with no problem.

Now its time for me to renew my registration and they are asking me to do emission test first.

So i went into state facility to do that and they said it failed it.

These is what they told me:

KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING BULB CHECK: FAIL

MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT (MIL) STATUS - COMMANDED ON FAIL

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCs) REPORTED:

P1157 AIR/FUEL RATIO (A/F) SENSOR (SENSOR 1) AFS LINE HIGH VOLTAGE COMPREHENSIVE

P0134 O2 SENSOR CIRCUIT NO ACTIVITY DETECTED (BANK 1(1) SENSOR 1)

About engine check light, it goes back on/off by itself in my car. I told them but they still wanted me to go check with mechanic. Earlier when i was getting that test done, the light was on and when i came back home it went off.

I am in complete shock and don't know how much all this will even cost. My registration expire in 9 days so i must act quick!

Do you guys know what kinds of service i will be needing and How much its going to be? I can't go around without car and already have other bills to pay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 09:48 PM

456 posts, read 1,500,126 times
Without knowing what type of car it is, there is no way to estimate the cost. From the code description, it sounds like oxygen sensor #1 has a shorted heater and the sensor is not sending a signal to the computer. The repair will most likely involve replacing the sensor and labor for the replacement and related testing.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:12 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
Not sure of the fix, but if you fill into the facility with a check engine light on you might as well turn around.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:20 AM

85 posts, read 473,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
Without knowing what type of car it is, there is no way to estimate the cost. From the code description, it sounds like oxygen sensor #1 has a shorted heater and the sensor is not sending a signal to the computer. The repair will most likely involve replacing the sensor and labor for the replacement and related testing.
its 2004 honda accord.. 4 cylinder

Old 01-23-2016, 08:44 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
Unfortunately, NXTMD . . .

ALL Vehicles require maintenance . . . especially as they age. Your Honda is 12 years old vs my 1986 Jeep CJ-7 which is 30 years old so I am fully aware of the expenses / hassles involved with driving. I do not look forward to the Annual Emission Test, however, I fully understand their necessity and advantages for the long haul.

Thankfully, the Emission Test determined "errors" and/or "malfunctions" prior to a breakdown possibly leading to more serious / expensive issues or even an accident.

Maintenance is a responsibility and is more than just "filling the gas tank."

Old 01-23-2016, 09:54 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,989,893 times
Move to Yavapai County?

Old 01-24-2016, 12:31 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,936 times
If it helps, you can get a 90 day operating permit for 15 dollars. Gives you a little more time to get things fixed.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:29 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Unfortunately, NXTMD . . .

ALL Vehicles require maintenance . . . especially as they age. Your Honda is 12 years old vs my 1986 Jeep CJ-7 which is 30 years old so I am fully aware of the expenses / hassles involved with driving. I do not look forward to the Annual Emission Test, however, I fully understand their necessity and advantages for the long haul.

Maintenance is a responsibility and is more than just "filling the gas tank."
This is very true, Bummer. All vehicles require maintenance, and older cars are naturally going to have more problems. Newer vehicles are not required to go through the annual emissions testing, and what I do in order to avoid emissions (and costly repairs) is trade in my car every few years or so & buy new. Some people consider that to be an unnecessary expense, but I see it as avoiding hassles. I would rather make regularly scheduled payments on a newer car than have unforeseen expensive repairs on an older vehicle which would break my budget. Also, some dealerships are offering trade in specials on new cars that require no down payments and the same monthly payments (depending largely of course on one's credit rating).

Old 01-25-2016, 03:44 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,242,053 times
I had replaced an oxygen sensor a few years back at Carl's Car Care on Bell at 59th Ave and it cost me about $200 IIRC, it could have been less I had a few things done at the time. The sensor is normally screwed into the engine with a plug in it that you might be able to replace yourself, I could have done mine if I cared enough to do it. When I looked it up the one on my car is located on the driver side of the engine in the back and it takes a wrench and about 20 minutes to replace.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:14 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,235,688 times
$200 sounds about right for an O2 sensor. Had mine replaced a few years ago.

OP sorry about that. But sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pay to keep the cars going. I know how it feels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona