Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:49 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,746,481 times

Advertisements

I can't address the medical field, but will address Arizona's social climate. While it's true the African American community in the state is not large, it is growing. When I moved here African Americans made up maybe two percent of the population STATEWIDE! Now, that figure is around 4.6 percent which still isn't earth shattering, but is growing. As for race relations, I grew up in the East and can tell you there is much more racial tension over there than I ever encountered here. Not that it doesn't exist, but because of the "live and let live" culture out here it isn't an issue. From what I have seen Mexicans have had a tougher time here than any other group which astounds me being that this was once a part of Mexico! Now, culturally speaking, Arizona is different. However, you will do well in Arizona if you accept it for what it is and not try to make it or compare it to where you are coming from. Good luck with your move.

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 01-22-2015 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: sentence restructure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 02:40 PM

173 posts, read 405,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
As for race relations, I grew up in the East and can tell you there is much more racial tension over there than I ever encountered here. Not that it doesn't exist, but because of the "live and let live" culture out here it isn't an issue. From what I have seen Mexicans have had a tougher time here than any other group which astounds me being that this was once a part of Mexico! Now, culturally speaking, Arizona is different. However, you will do well in Arizona if you accept it for what it is and not try to make it or compare it to where you are coming from.
This isn't entirely true, I think that the tension just manifests itself in a very different way. The absence of segregation amongst Arizona's African-American population is really amazing and freeing compared to many areas in the Eastern US (and LA). Still, this seems to be traded for some odd, subtle racism (that reminds me of stories about the 1950s) in some of the extremely white neighborhoods and suburbs in the Valley. And, as you've said...some of those racist attitudes are just shifted from one group to another (Hispanics).

Also, Arizona isn't defined by Phoenix (as much as it tries to be), and things can get more complicated in terms of racism in places other than PHX, Tucson, and Flagstaff.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 7,576 times
Default I'm from Detroit too

Hello. I went to Wayne State U. in downtown Detroit after growing up in St. Clair Shores.

I lived in Albuquerque New Mexico for 40 years and enjoyed living there. I now live part time in Dolan Springs, AZ

I would suggest either Tucson, or Phoenix as your best bets for finding work and also more racially diverse communities. New Mexico is great too, if you want a broader area to look into. Albuquerque and Sante Fe are great towns.

Kingman is close to where I live and seems to have a nice feel to it and a good hospital.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.

Jeff

Old 01-27-2015, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,351 times
Cool Phoenix area is a great place to be as a student...

And sometimes not as a Black student. However it is not actually any different from what would be expected in areas with a high concentration of Whites. I have loved it since I have been here. So much that I plan to stay here for a good while. I am a Black woman living in Scottsdale and it is a bit pricey but I started out here in Mesa and Tempe which is a totally different feel. I moved here to attend ASU so I understand the experience of being here as a student and feeling my way out. Luckily I had plenty support from my program so it wasn't too bad figuring things out. I am from California (Los Angeles) which is plentiful in social resources and while Phx does not have the same amount of those social resources it does have them. I always tell people you just have to look for them. I am open to answer any specific questions you have if it would help in making your final decisions to be here.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:49 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,515,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney123 View Post
Hello. I went to Wayne State U. in downtown Detroit after growing up in St. Clair Shores.

I lived in Albuquerque New Mexico for 40 years and enjoyed living there. I now live part time in Dolan Springs, AZ

I would suggest either Tucson, or Phoenix as your best bets for finding work and also more racially diverse communities. New Mexico is great too, if you want a broader area to look into. Albuquerque and Sante Fe are great towns.

Kingman is close to where I live and seems to have a nice feel to it and a good hospital.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.

Jeff
Don't dare go to Kingman, that's KKK central in AZ. Anyway, I live in Yuma but I frequent The Phoenix area and have spent time in Tucson and I'm black. Socially, you'll do fine. To speak from experience, we, black males in particular are viewed as exotic here by many Hispanic women. I don't have a problem meeting them. Black women are harder to find just based on numbers so don't be picky if that's what you're looking for. I'm not really into white women so I can't speak to that personally. You're 26, spend time in Tempe (Mill Street Area) and you'll find whatever it is socially you're looking for.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:37 AM

6 posts, read 7,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
Depends on what kind of community you are more comfortable with. Great Phoenix area is the only metro in Arizona, other places are small town setting. Arizona is very affordable as long as you have a job.
I've been looking into the Glendale area. More so West

Old 02-07-2015, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I can't address the medical field, but will address Arizona's social climate. While it's true the African American community in the state is not large, it is growing. When I moved here African Americans made up maybe two percent of the population STATEWIDE! Now, that figure is around 4.6 percent which still isn't earth shattering, but is growing. As for race relations, I grew up in the East and can tell you there is much more racial tension over there than I ever encountered here. Not that it doesn't exist, but because of the "live and let live" culture out here it isn't an issue. From what I have seen Mexicans have had a tougher time here than any other group which astounds me being that this was once a part of Mexico! Now, culturally speaking, Arizona is different. However, you will do well in Arizona if you accept it for what it is and not try to make it or compare it to where you are coming from. Good luck with your move.
Thanks, appreciate the insight

Old 02-07-2015, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Don't dare go to Kingman, that's KKK central in AZ. Anyway, I live in Yuma but I frequent The Phoenix area and have spent time in Tucson and I'm black. Socially, you'll do fine. To speak from experience, we, black males in particular are viewed as exotic here by many Hispanic women. I don't have a problem meeting them. Black women are harder to find just based on numbers so don't be picky if that's what you're looking for. I'm not really into white women so I can't speak to that personally. You're 26, spend time in Tempe (Mill Street Area) and you'll find whatever it is socially you're looking for.
LOL I definitely do not need to be around any KKK areas. But thanks for the info. I'll look into Yuma as well. Tempe has also been on my list to check out. As far as dating, I'm pretty diverse, never would have thought to be exotic tho Lol. Sounds interesting

Old 02-07-2015, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeirobinson View Post
And sometimes not as a Black student. However it is not actually any different from what would be expected in areas with a high concentration of Whites. I have loved it since I have been here. So much that I plan to stay here for a good while. I am a Black woman living in Scottsdale and it is a bit pricey but I started out here in Mesa and Tempe which is a totally different feel. I moved here to attend ASU so I understand the experience of being here as a student and feeling my way out. Luckily I had plenty support from my program so it wasn't too bad figuring things out. I am from California (Los Angeles) which is plentiful in social resources and while Phx does not have the same amount of those social resources it does have them. I always tell people you just have to look for them. I am open to answer any specific questions you have if it would help in making your final decisions to be here.

Thanks for the feedback. You started that you attended ASU and also lived in Mesa. My question is have you heard of A.T. Still University? It's in Mesa and unlike ASU it offers the MOT program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona