Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:28 AM

13 posts, read 42,068 times

Advertisements

We're contemplating a move to Sierra Vista, but the only major thing that worries us is the so-called "cancer cluster" I've been reading about, mostly articles several years old. They have suggested the mineral tungsten and/or jet fuel is to blame. Does anyone have updated info on this subject? Is Sierra Vista a healthy enough place for seniors (and anyone)? I've noticed a huge amount of homes for sale now in SV - is there a specific reason for this? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,130 times
Movin-again, I am glad you asked because I am also contemplating a move to Sierra Vista for a job but also worried about the "cancer cluster". Odd but those I have spoken to in Sierra Vista have either never heard about it know very little but either way it does not seem to be spoken much of.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:13 AM

308 posts, read 791,196 times
Use the search function on this site. This has been discussed previously here. It is not an issue in Sierra Vista.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:14 PM

344 posts, read 642,843 times
The family (Durkit) who were the most affected were all students of mine. It was so sad, and many in the family died, but it doesn't seem to have been around lately. I've lived in S Vista since 86 and raised my kids here.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:22 PM

10 posts, read 15,370 times
I moved here a year and a half ago and I love it. I've done a little research on the cancer cluster and it just seems to me that with a low sample size statistics can be skewed. Haven't looked in awhile, but I think I concluded that it was only one or two cases that made things above average. If I had kids though, I'd probably be more worried. This community revolves around Fort Huachuca. So whatever happens there has a huge effect on the town. I think with the cuts in the defense budget, and job losses at the Fort, people may have had to move. Home sales and home prices in this town are way out of synch with the rest of the US.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:38 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyflyz View Post
I moved here a year and a half ago and I love it. I've done a little research on the cancer cluster and it just seems to me that with a low sample size statistics can be skewed. Haven't looked in awhile, but I think I concluded that it was only one or two cases that made things above average. If I had kids though, I'd probably be more worried. This community revolves around Fort Huachuca. So whatever happens there has a huge effect on the town. I think with the cuts in the defense budget, and job losses at the Fort, people may have had to move. Home sales and home prices in this town are way out of synch with the rest of the US.
Do you mean they're way low, comparatively?

Old 02-07-2015, 11:42 PM

10 posts, read 15,370 times
The housing prices have not recovered from the big crash the way most of the country has. I don't think it crashed quite as hard as some places either... I think the housing prices are low but of course that's all relative.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,130 times
I am still considering a move to Sierra Vista and spent some time down there yesterday speaking to several people. Those that I have spoken to have either had cancer themselves or certainly know other adults in the area who have developed cancer after moving to the town. This is still concerning to me. Does anyone know about the adult cancer rates in Sierra Vista as compared to other towns/cities in Arizona?

Old 03-15-2015, 11:50 AM

308 posts, read 791,196 times
Sierra Vista has a large retiree population. It would seem normal to me if it had a higher percentage of adults with cancer. I still have not heard any residents stating there is a problem with a cancer cluster. However, if you would be unable to enjoy your time here because you would be worrying about getting cancer, then I respectfully advise you don't move here. Life is too short for that kind of worry.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:49 PM

8 posts, read 13,794 times
Sunshine111, we are also considering a move to Sierra Vista in a couple of years. I've been reading posts about the town and came across yours. We lived there from 2004-2007. My second child was born there. They are healthy kids. Just wondering if you actually moved to Sierra Vista and how did it go. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona