U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 04:23 AM

4,251 posts, read 9,887,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SjRick View Post
i could put a down payment on a home and perhaps carry a mortgage. I was thinking of Apache Junction mobile homes but have heard bad things about them. That might be why there are so many of them for sale. Turnover must be big. My original wish list was Gilbert but i think its out of my price range. My sister keeps telling me about Sedona cuz she lived there years ago before coming back to NJ. Since i have 3 years before i retire i have plenty of time to research. I appreciate all the info.
What would you have to put down? It's hard to get a mortgage on a mobile home as many of them are older. Sometimes you will get a seller take back though.

In Sedona (or nearby Clarkdale) you could do it in one of the 2 mobile home parks (carrying costs would be about $700-900 all in after you pay for it) if you were around to grab the right house when it comes up. Mobile homes are pretty close to one another though.

Here's an idea, live temporarily at Christian Care apartments (geared to income) in Cottonwood so you're around to grab a deal when it comes up.

There's another park in Phoenix called Paradise Shadows (one of my friends owned a winter home there) and the lot rent was only $400, one of the least expensive in the area.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 06:57 PM

16 posts, read 29,302 times
Is it true you guys may run out of water within 10 years ?

Old 02-04-2015, 07:32 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,401,489 times
Quote:
Im going to be retiring in 3 years and i was looking thru all of the posts on here. Ideally id love to have the same things i have here in South Jersey, Except the winters of course. I dont care about the school systems since its just me and ill be retired. I do care about healthcare and hopefully they will take my ins (AmeriHealth )

I dont need a lot of space but ideally id love to have my own small place but not on top of my neighbor which is how i am now. Id love some breathing room, So i dont want any apt or condo.

Ive been researching all types of info and its overwhelming. Id have to spend time out there to get accustomed to the heat. So if i could survive a summer heat i most likely could survive the rest of the year.

But it all comes down to money and if i could live comfortably on 2k a month, i might be ok with it.
If you care about the healthcare then you may want to look elsewhere. There is a fair amount of healthcare but that's it. Well 2k for not wanting a condo or apt would be stretching it. You can rent three bedroom condos for $1100 a month and groceries are cheap (I eat healthily and could easily do it for $40 a week). You'll need a car and insurance in AZ is high due to all the accidents. A/c electric bills can run an 1100 sqft place anywhere from $150-200 a month. In winter (November to April) it's cheaper like $60. Gas is average (much lower than jersey) but you'll use a lot because everything is so spread out. A lot of driving in AZ, so if that's not your gig I'd reconsider. So could you live comfortably? Mm depends what your lifestyle is like. Why not somewhere like texas or Colorado that is a more moderate climate?

Old 02-04-2015, 07:41 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,428,177 times
Quote:
No

Old 02-04-2015, 07:59 PM

72 posts, read 102,642 times
Quote:
Yes.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
(I eat healthily and could easily do it for $40 a week).
Would you share with us how you do this? I sure can't seem to!
thanks!

Old 02-04-2015, 08:39 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,401,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Would you share with us how you do this? I sure can't seem to!
thanks!
Sure! I did a lot of Fresh and easy (mostly), Trader Joes and CostCo were pretty much the trick!! Buying what is in season helps a ton too! For instance I would buy chicken, oatmeal, apples, spinach, almond milk, Ezekiel bread (stuff I know I'll go through and it won't spoil) at Costco and the rest like bananas, mangoes, avocado's (though recently CostCo has had great deals on them), berries (if not in season then the organic berries at CostCo), peanut butter and other odds and ends at fresh and easy or trader joes. OH MY GOSH I almost forgot one of my favorite AZ stores, Sprout's!! They have awesome food and cheap too- their produce is unbelievably affordable- you just have to be flexible and buy what is in season.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Sure! I did a lot of Fresh and easy (mostly), Trader Joes and CostCo were pretty much the trick!! Buying what is in season helps a ton too! For instance I would buy chicken, oatmeal, apples, spinach, almond milk, Ezekiel bread (stuff I know I'll go through and it won't spoil) at Costco and the rest like bananas, mangoes, avocado's (though recently CostCo has had great deals on them), berries (if not in season then the organic berries at CostCo), peanut butter and other odds and ends at fresh and easy or trader joes. OH MY GOSH I almost forgot one of my favorite AZ stores, Sprout's!! They have awesome food and cheap too- their produce is unbelievably affordable- you just have to be flexible and buy what is in season.
Thanks, I'm up in the Sedona area so we don't have any of those economical stores up here but I always hit up TJs and Costco when I'm in the valley. I had never heard of Fresh and Easy before and haven't really been to Sprouts.

Do you eat chicken every day for dinner? I can't eat grans or fruit except a few berries so it's mostly veggies, protein, nuts and seeds and fat (coconut oil from Costco or olive oil from TJs).

Old 02-05-2015, 12:39 PM

16 posts, read 29,302 times
ok we got a yes and a No for water..lol

As far as my health coverage. I am grandfathered in at work for healthcare as part of my retirement, so im good. I stay in a lot and to be honest since ive worked my whole life i dont see myself sitting around too much. I can take a PT job somewhere. Maybe 2. My knee is an issue so i cant be doing much.

Ideally i want to live in winter without snow and cold. So Colorado is obviously out of the question. I havent done any research into Texas so i have no clue. Arizona seems to be the Goldilocks of them all. But like i said, im lucky to have years to figure this out. I appreciate everyones input !!

Old 02-18-2015, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,708 times
Hi Rick, I live in San Tan Valley and one of my neighbors is from NJ and is retired he seems to like it. I think if you could live comfortable in San Tan Valley on $2000 a month. I know new homes are being sold as low as $130000 and I've seen a home for sale on my street 3 bed and 2 baths about 1460 sqft for $124000, the only bad thing about San Tan Valley is Hunt Highway it gets real backed up. We are only about 7-10 miles from The Queen Creek Marketplace and they are going to be opening a new movie theater sometime this spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona