U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:33 PM

16 posts, read 30,272 times

Advertisements

Im going to be retiring in 3 years and i was looking thru all of the posts on here. Ideally id love to have the same things i have here in South Jersey, Except the winters of course. I dont care about the school systems since its just me and ill be retired. I do care about healthcare and hopefully they will take my ins (AmeriHealth )

I dont need a lot of space but ideally id love to have my own small place but not on top of my neighbor which is how i am now. Id love some breathing room, So i dont want any apt or condo.

Ive been researching all types of info and its overwhelming. Id have to spend time out there to get accustomed to the heat. So if i could survive a summer heat i most likely could survive the rest of the year.

But it all comes down to money and if i could live comfortably on 2k a month, i might be ok with it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 02:19 PM

205 posts, read 500,971 times
I wouldn't say live comfortably but you could live. If your $2000 is bring home and not gross. Between rent and utilities you will eat up at least half of your income. Plus food, gas, other expenses. Yes it could be done but it will be tight. Don't spend frivolously and keep all your extra month to month and I think you will be ok.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:03 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,589,398 times
You will be "surviving" on $2K mo. But, on the bright side you will be better off than trying to live on $2K in N.J. Since you do not want an apt or condo, you might consider a 55+ manufactured home community. They are pretty low cost. There are a few nice ones in the valley.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:02 PM

6,713 posts, read 8,257,332 times
In Bullhead City you'd be considered rich! With a few hundred a month more as a Wal Mart greeter, you'll be all set!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:34 PM

4,201 posts, read 12,961,424 times
will that be covering ALL living expenses?...or will you also have some separate lump-sum cash to buy a small place?.....

very do-able if you set a strict budget, purchase food smartly and cook at home mostly, etc....yes, a part-time job could make things a bit "roomier".....you probably will not be able to get a separate house on that budget if you plan to cover shelter within that budget - might have to do an apt or mobile home

Old 02-02-2015, 10:57 PM

16 posts, read 30,272 times
i could put a down payment on a home and perhaps carry a mortgage. I was thinking of Apache Junction mobile homes but have heard bad things about them. That might be why there are so many of them for sale. Turnover must be big. My original wish list was Gilbert but i think its out of my price range. My sister keeps telling me about Sedona cuz she lived there years ago before coming back to NJ. Since i have 3 years before i retire i have plenty of time to research. I appreciate all the info.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:36 AM

1,522 posts, read 1,936,199 times
Sedona is very nice, and your 2000 dollars will last about a week....
I thought AJ is nice. Lots relatively cheap mobile homes for sale.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:06 PM

3,593 posts, read 8,151,411 times
A lot of the original owners in these mobile home parks are dying off at a rapid pace and younger baby boomers want to move into condos. Quite a few of these parks are hurting for new blood. My folks bought a place in a decent looking 55+ park in Tucson for only $30,000 last year. Sits on their own private well, so the grounds are lush and have mature trees all over the place.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:43 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,447,159 times
You might want to explore the Rio Rico, Nogales area of the state. Inexpensive, attractive weather and much safer than people think.

Rich

Old 02-04-2015, 02:51 AM

518 posts, read 775,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
In Bullhead City you'd be considered rich! With a few hundred a month more as a Wal Mart greeter, you'll be all set!
Can't tell you're semi-serious . It can't be that cheap!

What about the Yuma area? Rated recently as having the highest unemployment rate in the state. Whether that's true or not, I betcha $24k will get you by just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona