Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,735 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate to Arizona this summer. I have a degree in art but have been working in a nursing home. He is working in retail. We wanted to move before we get too settled and start having kids. From what I have seen online Phoenix seems like the best place to move for a job, but I was wondering if that was true? We would rather live in Flagstaff or somewhere in the Prescott area (to avoid the 120 degree summers) but it doesn't sound like there's a very good job market in either of those areas . Any opinions on this being true or false? Also, is it a super competitive job market? We will both be job hunting over the internet and I am hoping that won't hurt our chances...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 12:37 PM

612 posts, read 1,019,937 times
It's a numbers game, that's all. Phoenix is the 6th largest metro in the nation while Flagstaff and Prescott are relatively small mountain towns. Where do you suppose there are more job opportunities? Second to Phoenix is Tucson, by the numbers and by the opportunity as well.

As for internet job hunting, that's always less desirable to an employer for a number of reasons, but the effect is minimized in a city like Tucson or Phoenix since they are used to people relocating. In a small town, who knows?

Old 03-12-2015, 01:26 PM

558 posts, read 969,168 times
Prescott is a retirement town, so both retail and nursing homes are common. So you might have decent luck finding jobs.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:08 PM

191 posts, read 171,854 times
I would look at Phoenix first, second, and third. I think the area around Sun City, El Mirage, and Surprise would be pretty attractive for someone working in health care. Phoenix is definitely the bright spot in Arizona and the rest of Arizona isn't so bright unless you are retired.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:08 PM

52 posts, read 145,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaaz View Post
it's a numbers game, that's all. Phoenix is the 6th largest metro in the nation while flagstaff and prescott are relatively small mountain towns. Where do you suppose there are more job opportunities? Second to phoenix is tucson, by the numbers and by the opportunity as well.

As for internet job hunting, that's always less desirable to an employer for a number of reasons, but the effect is minimized in a city like tucson or phoenix since they are used to people relocating. In a small town, who knows?
+1

Old 04-03-2015, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,735 times
Default thanks :)

Thanks for all the tips I can't wait to move

Old 04-05-2015, 06:29 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,873,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjorystbx View Post
Any opinions on this being true or false?
I would say it's largely true. Gore Industries is in Flag if you're biomedical engineer, programmer or electronics person. NAU is there as well. Other than that your opportunities will be limited to local grocery stores and restaurants.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,249,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaAZ View Post
It's a numbers game, that's all. Phoenix is the 6th largest metro in the nation while Flagstaff and Prescott are relatively small mountain towns. Where do you suppose there are more job opportunities? Second to Phoenix is Tucson, by the numbers and by the opportunity as well.

As for internet job hunting, that's always less desirable to an employer for a number of reasons, but the effect is minimized in a city like Tucson or Phoenix since they are used to people relocating. In a small town, who knows?

In general, I agree.

However, before the OP makes this move, you better have a darned good idea of what your current positions pay in Ohio vs. what you will be paid for them in AZ. I have a feeling that the wage structure in AZ will be less, often much less than in the three major cities in Ohio. This is particularly true in the Tucson vicinity. The job my nephew works in Columbus pays 40% less in Tucson and offers less benefits.

The costs in AZ are not much cheaper, especially in Phoenix. You will save considerably on taxes as AZ does NOT have local income taxes and a state income tax rate that is half of Ohio.

I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona