Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:51 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

If it was proven that NM had lots of "gold", meaning a great water supply, AZ probably would have voted for it, with dreams of diversion. But the Rio Grande river is too unpredictable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 08:10 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Yeah just what we need, more liberals and welfare cases.

And can you imagine... In NM you are only allowed to carry ONE concealed gun!

I was just in Taos, somebody please buy them a street sweeper!
You know, at first I was typing something to the effect of....... yeah thanks jerk, we like you too. Got a chip on your shoulder? But then you had me at your last line. I was also in Taos a couple of weeks ago. They definitely have a big brown dusty cloud problem once the snow melts. The town felt like a big dusty pig pen that day.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-10-2015 at 09:18 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 09:51 PM

570 posts, read 1,002,015 times
So if the two had combined into one state, what name would they have gone with?

Old 03-10-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
And where would the capital have been?

Old 03-10-2015, 10:34 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
It would have been New Mexico. AZ. Is lacking on history, today too. It's just a collection point for misfits , outlaws , US Marshal's . Was the last state of the 48 to get Statehood , there is really nothing there if you kicked out all the Snowbirds ( me too I am in Tucson) and the California crowd that every few years invade the Sonora Desert

NM on the other hand has a lot of heritage going back to the 1500s . There still are a fair amount of true blood Spanish family's around Santa Fe........yes it's liberal , votes Democratic , and has little problem with the border. It's colder in winter is the only problem for us Snowbirds.Food is better in NM , everything is made with peppers , green sauce burgers , .......people are friendly , nice, crime is not a problem in the places I have gone. It truly is " The Land Of Enchantment" ,

Old 03-10-2015, 10:58 PM

518 posts, read 872,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
It would have been New Mexico. AZ. Is lacking on history, today too. It's just a collection point for misfits , outlaws , US Marshal's . Was the last state of the 48 to get Statehood , there is really nothing there if you kicked out all the Snowbirds ( me too I am in Tucson) and the California crowd that every few years invade the Sonora Desert.
Stop hating. Arizona has plenty of history. We attract people from other states more than NM because we are a more well-known and popular state with a better economy. And it is warmer here and we have hotter chicks.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:35 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Stop hating. Arizona has plenty of history. We attract people from other states more than NM because we are a more well-known and popular state with a better economy. And it is warmer here and we have hotter chicks.
No hate , just observation. Yes warmer here that's why even with all the traffic I am in Tucson. My two months here have been pleasant , and I will be back next year doing 3 months in Tucson. Still I want to spend Dec. in Las Cruces ......as far as being better known, I am sure you are right. There is a lot of people in the center of the state, many more retries, and it's mostly the climate. Things are cheaper in NM. That can be a draw for people on a budget. NM. is a lot more laid back . We made more friends being there 2 months than here 2 months.i like all the services available , that's a plus. However , I am looking forward to 2 weeks in Santa Fe come April, I guess NM is just a special place. o' the Señora desert is green, the Desert in NM. Is brown. You both are in a dry spell., the allergies are bad in AZ. .......the desert is nice, but I long for trees , big tall trees ! And water, lots of it..

Old 03-11-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
NM on the other hand has a lot of heritage going back to the 1500s . There still are a fair amount of true blood Spanish family's around Santa Fe........yes it's liberal , votes Democratic , and has little problem with the border. It's colder in winter is the only problem for us Snowbirds.Food is better in NM , everything is made with peppers , green sauce burgers , .......people are friendly , nice, crime is not a problem in the places I have gone. It truly is " The Land Of Enchantment" ,
I agree on the food part as I like the New Mexican style of anything smothered in green chiles over the Sonoran variation of Mexican food commonly found in Arizona (though imagine if one looked hard enough in AZ, New Mexican style food could probably be found in spots). But that's just one type of food, I wouldn't go as far to say that overall the food is better in the state over Arizona.

Yes. it's very friendly here too. However on the crime part, well like most places as long as you're not looking for trouble you likely won't encounter it. That said, most of the cities in NM large and small have BIG crime problems. Turn on the morning news in Albuquerque and it feels like a small city with big city crime problems, with violent crime rates well above the national average. There is a lot of weird sh*t happening here. I think an obvious factor is drug distribution and poverty, that and a very high DUI rate.

New Mexico has palpable and authentic history in parts, more so in Northern NM (where its colder), but Arizona really does have a lot more to do and a better variety of terrain and scenery. Like Arizona we have big awesome skies and amazing sunsets though.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-11-2015 at 07:19 AM..

Old 03-11-2015, 07:13 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
GalNado, New MeRizona.
Only because I think a point somewhere in the middle of the state where the current state line is would make some sense.

As for eastern NM, it would still feel more like TX as opposed to NM regardless of the outcome.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:51 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Arizona, because New Mexico was named by the Spaniards as Nuevo Mexico, but soon after was anglicized into "New Mexico"! Historians tend to disagree on the origins of Arizona's name, but basically agree that the name is derived from Native American language(s). Therefore, Arizona is a more solid name, and comes from the original people of America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Since most people were migrating west at the time, most likely the capital would've ended up as either Prescott or Phoenix. Most likely Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona