Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:03 PM

173 posts, read 404,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Why would you shoot a javelina? I'd only shoot a coyote if I had small kids or a small pet that I thought might be in danger.
Cuz this heres MURICA!

Seriously, they're pretty friendly little guys...they only act aggressively when defending young...like any other animal.

Oh well, this is the place where people are firing cannons at protected Saguaro Cacti just cuz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 03:53 PM

605 posts, read 1,093,043 times
Honestly, If a coyote attacked my dog, or a helpless domesticated animal, or it even looked like a small child was in danger, and I witnessed it?
I would not be responsible for my actions. I would go straight to my safe and get a shotgun and blow the thing away.

Sorry, I don't play Russian Roulette with friends, loved ones, and children.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,716 times
Absolutely not. Unless my life is in imminent danger and is being threatened I'd never pull the trigger on another live being.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:51 PM

281 posts, read 368,373 times
They're harmless to a suburban family that doesn't let Fido wander free and doesn't feed them. Leave them be and enjoy the wildlife from a distance. I love it and consider it part of Arizona and what I love so much, just like the toads, cottontails, quail, bobcats, owls and others.

If you're running a farm further out, then I'm sure it's a different story.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:42 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
They're harmless to a suburban family that doesn't let Fido wander free and doesn't feed them. Leave them be and enjoy the wildlife from a distance. I love it and consider it part of Arizona and what I love so much, just like the toads, cottontails, quail, bobcats, owls and others.

If you're running a farm further out, then I'm sure it's a different story.
As the video posted earlier proved, coyotes can and do hop 6' block fences to enter yards. One of them killed and carried away a small dog in our neighborhood that the owners thought was safe and protected behind the wall.

I love and revere Arizona wildlife too, but coyotes can be a danger to pets.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:13 PM

281 posts, read 368,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
As the video posted earlier proved, coyotes can and do hop 6' block fences to enter yards. One of them killed and carried away a small dog in our neighborhood that the owners thought was safe and protected behind the wall.

I love and revere Arizona wildlife too, but coyotes can be a danger to pets.
Mehhh, keep him inside.

No, I get it. I guess I'd just keep the pets inside in from dusk to dawn well before I go killing wild animals. Personally...

Old 04-03-2015, 10:00 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
Mehhh, keep him inside.

No, I get it. I guess I'd just keep the pets inside in from dusk to dawn well before I go killing wild animals. Personally...
The last 2 coyotes I saw was in the middle of the day.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:21 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,895 times
There are several Chihuahuas and small dogs that run my neighborhood, chasing folks, tearing up trash and using my yard as a bathroom.

The owners refuse to kennel them although animal control has been by multiple times....

....seems the coyotes are shirking their duty in my neighborhood.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:14 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,265,438 times
I probably wouldn't shoot a coyote if it was simply wandering through my neighborhood, but we have to remember that coyotes are predators, and are looking for anything edible ... which includes pets and (yes) even people! Some people's attitudes toward nature and wildlife really amaze me, especially the ones who make it sound like anything in nature is equal in importance to humans. Sorry to disappoint you ecology nuts, but I believe humans are far superior to coyotes, javelinas, birds, rodents, insects, cactus, or anything else in nature. Chances are that if a coyote or other wild animals is on your property, it is looking for its next meal, which could be your dog, your cat, or even your child.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:38 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,807 times
I've seen a few trotting around my neighborhood in the morning, once near a school bus stop. Saw one running around in the parking lot of my church at midday. Pretty common to see them by the side of the road or highway in Phoenix, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona