Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 01:29 AM

518 posts, read 874,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
Property tax rates are lower compared to what?? And what town in central Texas are you talking about? Just curious...

TX is a decent place to live, but property tax rates in Texas were the biggest turnoff for me. My COL actually went up when I moved to Texas from AZ, but maybe because I've lived in larger TX metro's such as Houston and DFW vs smaller towns in Texas.
I've heard property taxes around Austin are quite high. But upon further research, the State of Texas as a whole has shockingly high median property taxes! Definitely goes against the Texas is cheap notion that you always hear. In fact, the source linked below lists Texas as having the 3rd highest median property tax rate in the entire country. In fact, number one ranked New Jersey isn't all that much higher.... and other notorious high tax states such as Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Illinois all have lower median property tax rates. Who would have thought!

If my source is accurate, Louisiana is an absolute steal for homeowners with by far the lowest median property tax in the country. Potential home-buyers looking at Texas might want to take a peak at it's neighbor to the east, Louisiana, as well. Other southern states having among the lowest property tax rates in include Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, South Carolina, and West Virginia (Semi-Southern/Northeastern)

I'll probably be a renter for the foreseeable future but this is useful information for anyone who hopes to buy now or someday.

http://www.tax-rates.org/taxtables/p...y-tax-by-state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 11:36 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,869,950 times
A bit off subject, but is it me or have food prices are higher in Arizona on top of rental areas?

I live in Kingman and I've noticed many average looking properties charge around 700/mo for a 2 bedroom 2 bath and 800+/mo for a house, an average home in an average neighborhood. At one point I did live in Phoenix and was baffled at what people charge for rental properties, it gave me the impression that Arizona tries to compete with Cali and Nevada.

At the grocery store, a large block of cheese can cost $8, a roll of sausage $5, and eggs I've seen $4 for a pack of 18. Meats are a different matter, except for chicken.

This town is barely rife with well paying jobs unless you work in medical, or own a private company (not working for one). My sister and BiL moved to OKC and always talk about how everything is cheaper, but not so much of the job market. I did consider Texas but I think I like a slightly bigger city with a small town feel (and growth).

Old 04-14-2015, 04:26 PM

518 posts, read 874,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Surfer View Post
A bit off subject, but is it me or have food prices are higher in Arizona on top of rental areas?

I live in Kingman and I've noticed many average looking properties charge around 700/mo for a 2 bedroom 2 bath and 800+/mo for a house, an average home in an average neighborhood. At one point I did live in Phoenix and was baffled at what people charge for rental properties, it gave me the impression that Arizona tries to compete with Cali and Nevada.

At the grocery store, a large block of cheese can cost $8, a roll of sausage $5, and eggs I've seen $4 for a pack of 18. Meats are a different matter, except for chicken.

This town is barely rife with well paying jobs unless you work in medical, or own a private company (not working for one). My sister and BiL moved to OKC and always talk about how everything is cheaper, but not so much of the job market. I did consider Texas but I think I like a slightly bigger city with a small town feel (and growth).
No complaints here about food prices in Phoenix. We are definitely very competitive. A saturated market so grocers all need to compete with one another and offer good sales. In Kingman, you do have a Wal-Mart correct... that alone should force the other grocers to be competitive somewhat.

The rent you described doesn't seem outrageous. But given the dearth of jobs there (a Craigslist search should makes it obvious there isn't many... at all) I wouldn't say it's a bargain either.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:25 PM

352 posts, read 571,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
In fact, the source linked below lists Texas as having the 3rd highest median property tax rate in the entire country.
Again, though Texas has a strong economy, and a "less expensive" cost of living compared to the Northeast, West Coast and some Mid-west areas, Texas also has the 3rd highest annual home insurance average at $1,625, just behind Florida ($1,991) and Louisiana ($1,722). Arizona's average is $695.

With this being considered, if i purchased a home in Texas at the same price as my AZ home, it would have cost me $504.41 more per month or $6,052.92 per year vs AZ @$170 per month or $2,040 per year for property taxes & home insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona