Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 12:40 AM

42 posts, read 88,442 times

Advertisements

How well can one live these days on Social Security Disability & SSI in Arizona...?

I'd be interested in areas where there is access to doctors, public housing, & other social resources. But even with these, can you still afford to do things like bring your car to the mechanic, or take your pet to the vet, or buy clothes? Or, does your remaining money after the essentials just not go far enough due to cost of living.

Which areas in the state are the most affordable for those on a fixed income without being too isolated or steeped in crime, & which are ones to definitely avoid?

There are many "retirement communities" in AZ, but the more I look into them, I am discovering that places like Sun City are made for people retiring with money...vs. those retiring solely on minimal Social Security.

It would be great to hear from other people on SSD & SSI in Arizona who can share from their own experience on this.

I am considering a move there, & I do not want to get way in over my head.

Many thanks. 🌷
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 08:11 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
It sounds like you might be suited for an RV park. I've met a few people at Pleasant Valley Airport's RV park who do quite well on a fixed income. This is in Peoria, a nice middle-class area, on the northwestern fringe of the vast Phoenix metropolitan swath. It's not far from Lake Pleasant, which has a ton of recreational opportunities.

The RV park is situated right next to a glider operation, so there are always people to talk to and things to see.

You didn't say where you're coming from but we're from California and we've found just about everything is cheaper in Arizona.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:19 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,947,000 times
California or OR, or the northeast is the place for people on govt aid. AZ has few services for the poor. AZ retirement communities are mostly aimed at retired folks with disposable income. This is a state where it sucks to be poor. Non payment of electric because your car took a dive can be life threatening. Govt aid is minimal. Little sect 8 in most places.

Not to say low income is not welcome, but you will be consigned to less desirable areas. Quartzite, low income city areas (spelled crime). Bullhead, yeah we need more people on govt aid.

Me, if I could get on the govt money I'd go to San Diego and enjoy the beach, health services, public housing and transport and great restaurants. Cause a bad day in SD is better than the best day in the sandbox!

Old 04-29-2015, 03:08 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,859 times
It sounds as if you are in a similar situation to mine. Have you looked through the Socialserve and Foundation for Senior Living FSL sites? On FSL look for the Affordable Housing link (it seemed a bit buried away too my way of thinking).

Old 05-03-2015, 07:05 PM

659 posts, read 940,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
This is a state where it sucks to be poor.
As someone that has a combined marital income of that reaches the national poverty level, I can attest to your statement. This state is brutal to the poor and working poor.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:10 PM

Hi! Thank you all for your kind replies.

I am coming from NM. Sandbox indeed, but I love the mountains, desert, & warmer temps. Same issues with poverty exist here that you've all described, & existing benefits are low. It's fine, so long as you don't really need anything major re healthcare. After that, beyond Albuquerque & Las Cruces...much as I love it, NM rapidly becomes "The Land Of No Choice".

If my spatial perception were good enough to drive a large vehicle, I would consider trading in my car for an RV to become more portable. But I'd be like one of those people riding handicapped carts taking out end displays in supermarkets. : }

I have actually considered San Diego in SoCal myself, but am concerned cities there are also built around retiring with money, vs. affordable for minimal social security & related benefits. But I am cool with the ocean too. NorCal is too cold for me for health reasons, & driving in snow is out...some of the main reasons I moved south.

I will stop back to check for messages, so please post any new ideas as they arise. Thanks again!! : )

Old 05-17-2015, 08:19 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,898,400 times
I'd take a good look at the Kingman area; it's about 10 degrees cooler than here in Bullhead and the shopping there is becoming pretty decent.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'd take a good look at the Kingman area; it's about 10 degrees cooler than here in Bullhead and the shopping there is becoming pretty decent.
Thank you for the suggestion, much appreciated. With 28K people, I would bet the shopping really isn't too bad there.

I'm taking a look at it now, & saw the Snowfall chart. If you've been to Kingman AZ during the colder months, have you seen that much snow fall during your time there?

No one ever associates NM & AZ with snow, but it's amazing how much of it does fall here.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:04 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,898,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Escapee View Post
Thank you for the suggestion, much appreciated. With 28K people, I would bet the shopping really isn't too bad there.

I'm taking a look at it now, & saw the Snowfall chart. If you've been to Kingman AZ during the colder months, have you seen that much snow fall during your time there?

No one ever associates NM & AZ with snow, but it's amazing how much of it does fall here.
To be fair; most of the time, the snow's gone in a day or 2. It ain't like Chicago where a few inches can stay for weeks.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:26 PM

Smile Snow In The Southwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
To be fair; most of the time, the snow's gone in a day or 2. It ain't like Chicago where a few inches can stay for weeks.
I live about level with Phoenix, & I was told I would see rare light dustings that never stuck around. But these last few Winters, when it snows, it really comes down & a few inches have stayed at least 10 days per storm. Evil Snowmen were even constructed in my area...as though to testify to this fact. lol

I think it followed me here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona