Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:43 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,960,135 times

Advertisements

You also have to realize that Arizona doesn't have any distinct African-American areas. Most African-Americans are well integrated, this is not the case with other places on the map that are shown as being more racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 02:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
This state (Arizona) is EASILY the least racist place in America that I've ever been. Arizonans are live and let live people. That's been my experience in all my 47 years here.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:44 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,632,982 times
If Google is determining how racist a state or city is by the number of times the "n" word is used, thats not a good formula because blacks use the "n" word way more than any other race of people in the United States. So wherever the most blacks live, the more times the "n" word is going to be said .

The whole study is bogus and proves nothing.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:44 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,284,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Here's the "racism map" - older communities would seem to be more racist, based on this metric. Increased competition for increasingly fewer jobs in the old Industrial Belt could also make racism worse there than in the west.
What's interesting about this map is most areas in the west are classified as the least racist, while many locations in the southern states & eastern U.S. are the most racist. I don't know if the map is accurate or not ... but if it is, it just goes to prove that some of the most liberal areas of the country (east) are far more racist than the more conservative or Libertarian regions (west).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Instead of people saying "good job, Arizona", we get excuses. Typical. Anyway, AZ isnt any more or any less racist than any state Ive ever lived. You better believe Ive run into people from all walks of life that have uttered racist remarks, and its not just whites who've been racist. It comes from all directions.
Good points. Racism (and any other kind of bigotry for that matter) can be found on all levels & in all parts of the country ... and all parts of the world for that matter. Carroll O'Connor (the actor who played Archie Bunker) said that he personally knew many people from all walks of life who were bigots. He played a "loveable bigot" on one of the best TV sitcoms in history simply to bring out the irony & the audacity of all those prejudiced comments in the form of satire. The thing I liked about that show was how it not only portrayed a white middle aged man as a bigot, but also a black man (next door neighbor George Jefferson) as somebody who was just as racist or even more so than Archie. This is unfortunately so true in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This state (Arizona) is EASILY the least racist place in America that I've ever been. Arizonans are live and let live people. That's been my experience in all my 47 years here.
Same here. Other than the occasional ethnic joke I've heard in my youth, I really haven't seen anything that represents real racism here. People in other parts of the country labeled AZ as racist over the MLK issue many years ago, and then again a few years ago when SB 1070 was passed ... however, most of those people based their opinions on kneejerk emotions, and not facts.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:54 PM

605 posts, read 706,135 times
Well it's hit or miss. You'll always find instances anywhere. Just today, I had to call my local grocery store to let their management know that one of their clerks made "slanty" eyes at me and called "people like me Oriental". When I tried to correct her (politely), that it's not exactly appropriate to refer to people of Asian-descent as "Oriental", and that it describes objects rather than people, she dismissed me and said "I've got no use for all that PC stuff".

Old 05-02-2015, 10:08 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,479,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
If Google is determining how racist a state or city is by the number of times the "n" word is used, thats not a good formula because blacks use the "n" word way more than any other race of people in the United States. So wherever the most blacks live, the more times the "n" word is going to be said .

The whole study is bogus and proves nothing.
That's not what the article said. The survey was based on the number of searches people did on Twitter for tweets containing the N-word.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
What's interesting about this map is most areas in the west are classified as the least racist, while many locations in the southern states & eastern U.S. are the most racist. I don't know if the map is accurate or not ... but if it is, it just goes to prove that some of the most liberal areas of the country (east) are far more racist than the more conservative or Libertarian regions (west).

Good points. Racism (and any other kind of bigotry for that matter) can be found on all levels & in all parts of the country ... and all parts of the world for that matter. Carroll O'Connor (the actor who played Archie Bunker) said that he personally knew many people from all walks of life who were bigots. He played a "loveable bigot" on one of the best TV sitcoms in history simply to bring out the irony & the audacity of all those prejudiced comments in the form of satire. The thing I liked about that show was how it not only portrayed a white middle aged man as a bigot, but also a black man (next door neighbor George Jefferson) as somebody who was just as racist or even more so than Archie. This is unfortunately so true in real life.

Same here. Other than the occasional ethnic joke I've heard in my youth, I really haven't seen anything that represents real racism here. People in other parts of the country labeled AZ as racist over the MLK issue many years ago, and then again a few years ago when SB 1070 was passed ... however, most of those people based their opinions on kneejerk emotions, and not facts.
The MLK and SB 1070 flaps have more to do with our idiotic state politicians than with common every day Arizonans.

The MLK thing gave us a real black eye that we didn't deserve, but our legislature handled it so poorly.

But at least the citizens rectified it.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:33 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,048,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Stupid. With a small African-American population of course we don't rank high. But if they used derogatory words towards Hispanics I'm sure it would be different.
Yup.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:06 AM

861 posts, read 2,193,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The MLK and SB 1070 flaps have more to do with our idiotic state politicians than with common every day Arizonans.

The MLK thing gave us a real black eye that we didn't deserve, but our legislature handled it so poorly.

But at least the citizens rectified it.
This is true.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:09 AM

123 posts, read 260,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
The Washington Post reports a novel research strategy - scanning Twitter tweets for searches for the "n-word" by state.

Arizona was among the states with the lowest Twitter searches for that word. I would guess looking for tweets that simply contained the word may have been less useful, as it can be used as an in-group term in a more-or-less non-derogatory way.

The most racist places in America, according to Google - The Washington Post

"...researchers looked at searches containing the N-word. People search frequently for it, roughly as often as searches for "migraine(s)," "economist," "sweater," "Daily Show," and "Lakers." (The authors attempted to control for variants of the N-word not necessarily intended as pejoratives, excluding the "a" version of the word that analysis revealed was often used "in different contexts compared to searches of the term ending in '-er'.")"

"Interestingly, on the map above the most concentrated cluster of racist searches happened not in the South, but rather along the spine of the Appalachians running from Georgia all the way up to New York and southern Vermont.

"Other hotbeds of racist searches appear in areas of the Gulf Coast, Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and a large portion of Ohio. But the searches get rarer the further West you go. West of Texas, no region falls into the "much more than average" category. This map follows the general contours of a map of racist Tweets made by researchers at Humboldt State University."
This is the typical brainwashing that occurs every day in our country.

Racism is now apparently defined as how many people are making derogatory comments towards black people.

Forget the fact that black people use that word themselves which would show up in this study. The real issue here is that being a racist apparently only applies to non-black people.

Seth Stephens-Davidowitz has conveniently taken a one-sided approach to all of this to continue the media assault against whites. After all, that's what this is really about. Producing more guilt in white people. And that agenda comes from the top; from the people who own the media companies. The ultra-rich.

There is an agenda here. Do some research and go down the rabbit hole and you'll begin to understand what's going on and why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona