Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:51 PM

784 posts, read 923,188 times

Advertisements

Americans are very charitable.....but they like to do it voluntary and not forced.

The fact is that our poor in the US would considered well off in many other countries.....once welfare pays better than a lower skilled job that one finds when they have a bad record or are limited in skills you know its gone to far.

There are sections where 3 generations of family members have never worked an actual job.

I gave once to a guy who drove up to me while I was walking into a store..he was in a decent truck and portrayed himself as a veteran who needed gas money...I was inclined to say no but had a feeling that this might be one that really needed help...he promised to send me the money once he got home.....I gave him my email address in order for him to contact me to arrange that....never heard from him.....I will never ever give another cent to anyone no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 08:26 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Just had this happen on Sunday at a nearby gas station in Chandler.
Young guy trying to get money from every patron, cause "he lost his wallet and needs gas". Sat in a fairly nice car, in the gas lane with a female next to him. Every person said "NO" including me. If you have a car and need gas, it's your responsibility to find a way to pay for it. Call a friend. Call your mother. Get a way to bail YoURSElf out.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:33 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
So many people here are brainwashed with tired old myths about poverty and "welfare" that weren't true 30 years ago when "trickle-down" Reagan spouted them & certainly aren't true now.

We do a truly pitiful job in this state at helping people "bounce back" from adversity, but we're not a bit bashful about creating situations that can easily destroy families. Employers in this state can fire at will & tie up our paltry unemployment benefits just for spite, with no repercussions. Landlords can evict for non-payment a whopping 14-18 days after the rent is late. It's illegal to panhandle here & illegal to sleep in your car - further, non-payment of your car insurance gets your (paid-for) license plates turned "off" - and we use license-plate readers to identify these "scofflaws" so they can be quickly jailed in our private for-profit McPrisons (which seem to get a 10% increase in funding each-and-every year, btw!). We elected a sheriff who brags about making people sleep in tents & paying more to feed his dogs than people, but who is somehow immune from responsibility for "mis-spending" <---- gawd I love that term!, a hundred MILLION taxpayer dollars, and losing a couple hundred million more in lawsuits for people dying unnecessarily in his jails, violating the civil rights of brown Americans, and wantonly & wrongfully arresting and smearing his political opponents.

News flash, guys - the people "saving" the taxpayer's money *aren't* going to return it to you. That money will be redirected to the friendly corporate interests running our state. While you're on here arguing about fat, lazy welfare queens that don't exist, your money will be quietly handed off as back-rent for the capitol building that we allowed these buffoons to sell and rent-back, a nice little "bonus" for our corporate-prison friends, or perhaps a few more MRAPS & black rifles to help stifle dissent should the public here ever wake up.

Some Arizona lawmakers skeptical of another private prison

Meanwhile, women and children will go hungry and homeless.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:35 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
I'll never forget being approached by a VERY thin woman asking for money. She said she needed it because she was pregnant. She definitely did not look pregnant! I never have cash and I told her so. She said something quite rude and walked away.

There are those that need help, and it is sad that the ones who refuse to help themselves make me not want to give to anyone.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post

There are sections where 3 generations of family members have never worked an actual job.
Citation please?

I mean, this must be well-documented, right?

Let's name them and shame them.

Or does this welfare "dynasty" only exist is some politician or talk-show host's feeble mind?

I call bull****, especially in Arizona.

Never happened here, not happening now, and probably never happened anywhere in the USA.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:53 AM

837 posts, read 2,334,872 times
Zip you're wasting your time. These are the very same folks who'd rather see $50+ million spent settling Arpaio's bigotry problem than spend one nickel helping someone one else.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I'll never forget being approached by a VERY thin woman asking for money. She said she needed it because she was pregnant. She definitely did not look pregnant! I never have cash and I told her so. She said something quite rude and walked away.

There are those that need help, and it is sad that the ones who refuse to help themselves make me not want to give to anyone.
Well, that settles it then, lets just completely cut all social spending entirely - better to let a few thousand women and children starve than to risk giving a nickle to a (suspected) drug addict.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:10 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Sad. This will hurt children more than anyone else. Most of the people on welfare have children living with them. Placing such harsh restrictions on aid that is intended to help these children is wrong. More people will be forced out onto the street, crime levels could rise from people who are cut off of welfare doing desperate things for small amounts of cash, and charitable agencies will be completely overwhelmed. It is sad that this is being done under the guise of wiping out the state's deficit when this is federal money. Poor people are not the reason that this state is $1 billion in the hole. Bad decisions by the legislature are why we're in such ridiculous debt.

Like I mentioned earlier this will just lead to an increase in crime committed by people who don't know where to turn. Many of these people will end up in jail or prison, just contributing to the coffers of the private prison industry, which taxpayers already subsidize. As it is often said, the measure of a civilization is how it treats it most vulnerable citizens. If we go by that measure, I would say that this is turning into a pretty uncivilized place.

What's sad is that this legislation will affect thousands of Arizonans who are not trying to "game" the system. Some of them have simply encountered a rough patch in their lives, maybe for a second or third time. Cutting these people off without offering viable alternatives is mean spirited and wrong. Many of those in support of this legislation don't care though. They will continue to go on and on about illegal immigrants receiving welfare and people needing to look for work, despite the fact that those affected are US citizens and quite a few actually have jobs or are attaining some form of schooling.
Incorrect. This won't make anyone homeless, it will not change section 8 housing benefits. It will also not have any effect on food stamps. This only effects straight up CASH assistance. The only people it may hurt are tattoo artist, cell phone stores, gas stations etc....

Old 05-20-2015, 10:11 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Citation please?

I mean, this must be well-documented, right?

Let's name them and shame them.

Or does this welfare "dynasty" only exist is some politician or talk-show host's feeble mind?

I call bull****, especially in Arizona.

Never happened here, not happening now, and probably never happened anywhere in the USA.

Sorry,but you can call bull **** all you want but it is and has been happening for a long time everywhere!

There are generations of welfare leaches in every state but that doesn't mean every person on welfare is a leach or trying to teach their kids how to follow in their footsteps.

It may not make the papers with names or on the daily news but it's out there. I know that Az doesn't give out a lot of benefits compared to other states with an average of only $15,000 but here in Ma they average over $50,000

You tell me who in their right mind would want to go out and work if you're receiving those kind of benefits? I've seen this first hand here in Ma and it's only getting worse. You say "Let's name them and shame them"...Huh.They really don't care,they have no shame. They receive money now on their EBT cards monthly so there's no embarrassing food stamps and no standing in line for bread,cheese or milk. They really can't get much lazier unless someone actually does their shopping for them! Sorry but the systems been broke for many years now and neither side is willing to do anything about it or it'd be political suicide for their party.

Sad part is there are many who really need a helping hand who cannot get it or are disabled who truly can't work and these freeloaders are sucking the system dry on the backs of us who support them. You talk about "bouncing back from adversity" and I agree that some people just need a little help to get back on their feet either from a divorce,health issue,loss of job etc. But, being lazy and have kids that you shouldn't be having isn't a disability. They need to start making better life choices and taking some self responsibility. It's not my or your fault they keep screwing up yet they think they're entitled to my money to fix their mistakes!

Old 05-20-2015, 10:19 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Well, that settles it then, lets just completely cut all social spending entirely - better to let a few thousand women and children starve than to risk giving a nickle to a (suspected) drug addict.
As I have stated previously, Zippyman . . .

Helping someone get back on their feet after a "bump in the road" is one thing but ENABLING someone to become so complacent they literally consider their welfare payments (including Food Stamps, Unemployment and free Cell Phones, etc) a right and frequently refer to them as PAYCHECKS destroys.

Creating a Long Term Welfare Lifestyle hurts everyone, especially the recipient.

Definitely, a Time Limit on Welfare is a GOOD THING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona