Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:01 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,542,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I must say that it's rather humorous and hypocritical the way so many of you move to AZ and like it here because it's sunny and clear the majority of the time (which allows for faster driving), but many of you still want lower speed limits and slower driving. Sorry, but if you love the climate here, then you're going to have to wise up and realize that our "wonderful sunny climate" is one of the reasons why people tend to drive fast ... and those who are experienced drivers, sober, and attentive are able to drive faster & do it safely because of our mostly good roads & relatively few inclement conditions. Now, this doesn't mean it's acceptable to race around like a NASCAR driver, but at least get a move on and speed up a little! Slow drivers are not safer when they impede the traffic flow.

I admit that I'm a fast driver, but I'm also experienced and highly attentive ... therefore, I've never been in an accident, and never even been cited for speeding. I have to laugh each time I'm behind the wheel and come across some slowpoke (who more than likely is a transplant) who drives like he's waiting for a blizzard or a hurricane to move in. If you seriously believe that driving slower is safer, then move to a region where there are more hazardous weather conditions which warrant slower driving. If you can't keep up with the pace, then you have no business on the road at all.
I'm not saying slower is safer, but we surely don't need higher speed limits than the 75 we have now. If you encounter someone going 65 or so, (often for good reasons) and you are at or above the 75, that's what the high speed lane is for. When you are paying attention, as you are, it's easy to safely navigate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 01:01 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,498,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Many traffic deaths on tribal roads aren't reported because tribal governments don't share the same traffic safety reporting system as non-tribal governments. Tribal roads make up a significant portion of rural roads in this state. Traffic deaths would be reduced if speeding was curbed. It is obvious that someone who is traveling 100+ MPH cannot control their vehicle as well as if they were going slower. It's just fact.
I agree on the control factor and speed. But there are a great deal of rural roads in AZ that aren't on tribal land and the data still shows urban interstates, with lower speed limits, had far more deaths than other roads in the state so I don't think that can be discounted.

And speed doesn't always equal greater accident rates. Montana had its "Reasonable and Prudent" speed law for a while, fatalities actually decreased while it was in effect. They certainly have their share of rural roads like we do in AZ.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:55 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,988,600 times
Yes, but the 45 mph speed limit on many tribal and rural roads is ridiculous.

Point to consider - high heat and high speed = tire shredding and blowouts resulting in bad accidents. I drive a company pickup truck, I get a new one every 20,000 miles. So I always have pretty new tires. I run it 85 in Utah (80mph limit areas) - but in the summer in AZ, NV or UT I keep it below 70 during the heat of the day regardless of the limit. The road can be over 160 degrees on a day where it's 110 outside. Enough to damage even new tires if they weren't made right.

Retreads are worse, you can tell by the numbers littering the roads.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:53 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,968,131 times
Utah has increased speeds on much of I15 to 80mph:

A 2009 Utah study found drivers complied better with the 80 mph speed limit than with the previous 75 mph limit. There was a 20 percent reduction in drivers exceeding the 80 mph limit, the study showed.

Data from a separate 2012 study of two portions of I-15 in Utah found an 11 percent to 20 percent drop in speed-related crashes, depending on which stretches were studied.

Utah: Drivers comply with 80 mph speed limit better than 75

So I think there is an argument that speed limits could be increased on some of Arizona's interstates. I would raise the speed limit but lower the tolerance for people exceeding it.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:32 PM

97 posts, read 22,148 times
All of these arbitrary numbers are ridiculous. So if some guy is going 85 mph in the rain he just gets a ticket, but if he is going 86 on a perfectly sunny dry day in light traffic, that's a criminal offense? Set the speed limits based on what the road is designed to be driven at, and people won't even go 5 mph over. They have done free flowing studies like this both in Australia and Germany, and even with no speed limits whether it's the autobohn or an open speed limit trial, traffic never seems to exceed around 88 mph on average. Raising speed limits won't make people go faster, it will just make the already safe travel speeds of the majority of drivers, legal.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:00 PM

14,198 posts, read 22,833,830 times
Yes.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:26 PM

7,333 posts, read 12,412,003 times
Interestingly, there was a proposed initiative to change this law and have the records of those with criminal speeding expunged. Unfortunately it won't be on the ballot this year.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:59 PM

416 posts, read 542,474 times
How about the drivers who can`t walk an extra 20` to a store but go flying by us all day long? They have some kind of health issues but have no problem speeding? Most people are driving uninspected cars with old tires. If you are going to speed on the highway at least get new tires every 3 years. Get the right speed rating on them. Don`t forget your soon to roll over trailer either. No reason for vehicles towing a trailer to be going over 65. All it takes is one "great" driver to cause an 8 hour backup on 17. Happens most weekends.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:09 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,974,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPlayer793 View Post
All of these arbitrary numbers are ridiculous. So if some guy is going 85 mph in the rain he just gets a ticket, but if he is going 86 on a perfectly sunny dry day in light traffic, that's a criminal offense? Set the speed limits based on what the road is designed to be driven at, and people won't even go 5 mph over. They have done free flowing studies like this both in Australia and Germany, and even with no speed limits whether it's the autobohn or an open speed limit trial, traffic never seems to exceed around 88 mph on average. Raising speed limits won't make people go faster, it will just make the already safe travel speeds of the majority of drivers, legal.
That matches my experience living in Germany and driving on the Autobahn. My comfortable cruising speed was 115. At that speed, I passed 99% of the cars on the road; most people seem to drive 81ish, the “suggested” Autobahn speed. Lots of reasons why high speed driving is relatively safe on the Autobahn, including the excellent condition of the road, variable speed limits based on weather and traffic (electronic signs), and the tendency of Germans to follow the rules...no slowpokes in the left lane there, and nobody passing on the right. I used to love driving on the Autobahn; I hate driving on the highway here. If I’m not in some real hurry to get somewhere, I take the back roads.

Old 09-13-2020, 06:42 AM

811 posts, read 626,679 times
When discussing higher fatality rates in this state it's important to remember the bizarre practice of many Hispanics not to use seat belts.
Someone PLEASE tell us why that is.

As Jeremy Clarkson famously said: “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary; that's what gets you.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona