U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 08:54 AM

7,602 posts, read 7,214,244 times

Advertisements

Ahh...yeah, wait a minute...speaking of downtowns...there's this famous western town named Tombstone that is...OK by me, too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 08:44 PM

694 posts, read 688,298 times
Nice photo!

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. Where the laws do not operate, there is no reality."

- Spock to McCoy, at the OK Corral

Spectre of the Gun (episode) - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

Old 07-22-2015, 06:43 AM

48 posts, read 67,031 times
Thank you, everyone! I guess I didn't make myself clear so let me add some info. We are retiring and want to live within close proximity to our son and his family in Paradise Valley. We are from suburban Chicago in a town that has a main street with a lot of character. We live about 6 blocks from the middle of town which has a library, Starbucks, restaurants, pharmacy, hair salons, gas station, cleaners, etc. We want to find a place first of all that has a good share of people our age so we could develop cnew friendships. While we have looked at a couple of the age restricted communities, they seem so 'track home' like, although there are so many pluses as far as meeting new people. We want to have a sense of community as we have lived in the same place for 40 years and I suppose that is why I was asking about a 'downtown' atmosphere. Unfortunately our son is somewhat new to Arizona as well so is unable to guide us. We want to stay under 500k for either a new home or less if typical fixer upper needing new flooring, baths, kitchen, etc. Any suggestions offered are appreciated! Thank you!

Old 07-22-2015, 09:25 PM

3,265 posts, read 2,256,641 times
I'd suggest looking into Downtown Chandler based on what you're looking for, I'm pretty sure there is a starbucks, hair salon, library, pharmacy, gas station, cleaner and quite a few places to eat as well. It's undergoing a pretty nice upgrade and has seen some big improvements over the last few years. I guess it would probably take about 20 minutes to get to Paradise Valley without traffic, a little longer at the heavier volume times of the day. Here is a link: Downtown Chandler Community Partnership | Chandler, AZ

Downtown Gilbert could be another option as well, not sure if it quite fills all the needs on your list but could be pretty close. Some info on what's happening in DT Gilbert: High Street | Shop, Dine, Live, Work, Explore

Not sure if this is something you'd be into or not, as it's more of a manufactured feel, but it does check of a lot of the boxes you mentioned. I don't get too excited about fringe communities, but it keeps you closer to PV and has a lot of the amenities you mentioned. High Street | Shop, Dine, Live, Work, Explore

As others have said the main urban parts of Phoenix are going to be DT Phoenix, Uptown Phoenix, the Biltmore area, Old Town Scottsdale, and the Mill Ave District in Tempe. But again, those are going to be a much more big city downtown feel versus the smaller town center feel I know you're looking for.

Downtown Glendale would also have this, but it's not very close to Paradise Valley either. You might look into the Arcadia area, which is very close to PV, not sure there's really a town center area around there, but certainly very easy to find all the amenities you're after within a fairly short car ride.

I'd honestly suggest coming out and seeing things first hand, stay with your son for a while and scout out the valley, it's a big area and has some diverse options.... Oh one other place I just thought of, Fountain Hills.... That might have the feel you're after as well.

Gilbert, Chandler, Maybe check out High Street in North Phoenix, Arcadia area, Fountain Hills... Hope that helps, welcome to AZ!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:22 AM

772 posts, read 587,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I'd honestly suggest coming out and seeing things first hand, stay with your son for a while and scout out the valley, it's a big area and has some diverse options....
This is the best suggestion yet!

Arizona is very different than back east. I'm from the Detroit area, so I know what you are talking about, OP. While there are a lot of interesting downtown areas here, it is not going to be the same feel that you are used to. Of course the weather is much better here though!

How close do you consider "close proximity"? I think you might really like Prescott, but it is about 1.5-2 hours from PV. Fountain Hills is a good suggestion too. And also look into Carefree and Cave Creek, both are not too far from PV.

One other thing occurred to me...you said your son is also new to this area. Is he sure he will like it here and is going to stay? If you have some time, you might consider waiting a year or two and just visit him a lot before you make a big move. There is a lot to love about Arizona, but it does take some adjusting to.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:21 PM

18 posts, read 27,412 times
There are many neighborhoods in Scottsdale where you can walk to do grocery shopping, dine or run errands. However, it's true that in summer it is so hot that you opt to take a car where you go. If you define walkable as a half mile, there are many options to live in apartment or condo projects near the downtown and other corridors, like Shea Corridor, where you could manage without a car. Moved here from the Midwest and run into permanent snowbirds all the time. People are generally friendly in stores. North Scottsdale is more glitzy and not as pedestrian friendly as Central and South Scottsdale. Not my first time living in a tourist dominated community and this is as nice as any place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona