Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 01:15 PM

169 posts, read 154,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
You have plenty of time to prepare for the move then. Expect it to be a night and day difference from wherever you come from unless it's another desert city like Vegas New Mexico. The people on this thread are very knowledgeable (most of them!) and eager to help so don't be bashful. Will you be able to make a trip out here before moving? I would highly suggest that.
This forum has been very helpful...I can't believe all of the information and conversation through this thread.
This is exactly what I needed, people who've experienced AZ. I had originally planned to visit Scottsdale... in fact, the plan was to fly out tomorrow! In previous years I'd worked a ton overtime but this year it hasn't been there. My brother in law has visited AZ enough for me and he's moving with us so I'm comfortable enough with his experience to make the move w/o visiting. My husband and I have been talking about this for many years and now is the time. We will plan to visit in the spring of '16 then make the move in the fall. I may have to come back to IN to work just a little while longer (after the move) if I haven't secured a good job with benefits. I am the only person that works because my husband has many issues with his back/spine. It's very important that I have insurance and medication. I don't want there to be much of a disruption.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:08 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
No. According to this tweet map, I would say you are very wrong.

Hate Map

Pick a term and look at the map. This data/methodology goes just a little beyond your circle of experience.
I think the personal experiences of my friends and I is a little more valuable than a map from some random school, based off of tweets no less.

Unless you are a minority in this state, you have no room to talk. You can afford to keep your head buried in the sand. I can't. You can deny it until you turn blue in the face. Arizona has a much deserved reputation of being a racist state.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:21 PM

Default Being Black in AZ. Is it possible to be prosperous in this Republican State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I think the personal experiences of my friends and I is a little more valuable than a map from some random school, based off of tweets no less.

Unless you are a minority in this state, you have no room to talk. You can afford to keep your head buried in the sand. I can't. You can deny it until you turn blue in the face. Arizona has a much deserved reputation of being a racist state.

Thanks for your input. Do you have any advice you can share?

Old 07-11-2015, 12:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Charles Barkley lives in Arizona ask him and he says all the time he loves Arizona.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:16 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
We are a racially mixed family and have lived around the country and around the world and I will tell you, without hesitation, the AZ (basically meaning the Phoenix/Tucson area because that is where everyone lives) is the among the best places for black people in the US. There is very little racial tension between blacks and whites in this state and blacks are more integrated into the population than anywhere in the US. Black/white relationships professionally, socially and personally and romantically are so commonplace here as to go totally unnoticed. As for opportunity, AZ has a black high school graduation rate that is consistently ranks as the highest or among the highest in the country. Whatever "racism" there is here is primarily directed at illegal immigrants and not AAs.

Of course there is another side to this integrated pattern. There is no AA enclave, no MLK boulevard, no concentration of services directed at the black community - in short no overwhelmingly black neighborhood or area where you can go. Your kids will have white or hispanic or Indian friends. They will date them too and have them as boyfriends and girlfriends. That can be very troubling to some who come from the segregated cities and areas of the US. I know some of my own extended family moved back to Alabama because they felt more comfortable in a place where they were surrounded by the culture they preferred.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 07-12-2015 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 08:55 AM

604 posts, read 934,420 times
Texas Governor Rick Perry gave a very interesting speech this past week on the status of African Americans in his red state versus that of other states and cities.

Rick Perry postures racial opportunity on Texas performance record - San Diego Conservative | Examiner.com

Old 07-12-2015, 05:11 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Z16 View Post
Are blacks (5-6% population) able to prosper in this Republican State of AZ with a government of LDS members? Is there a secret to this? I have read many posts and seen a few YouTube videos about AZ being a racist state. I play well with others but I don't do well with racism!
While Arizona generally leans Republican, we're not socially conservative like many places in the South or Midwest. Generally speaking, it's live & let live. In fact, AZ is probably one of the more integrated places in the nation. People of various races & backgrounds mix with each other pretty well for the most part.

Quote:
Arizona is a very racist state, yes. However, this racism is almost exclusively between whites and Mexicans. As someone who is neither white nor Mexican, I am often seen as a neutral party where people feel comfortable expressing their true views in my presence. I have heard people spew vile hatred toward Mexicans here. On the flip side, I hear some horrible things that have been said and done to my Mexican coworkers and neighbors.
Arizona is not a racist state by any means! If there is any ounce of racial hostility, it's directed primarily at illegals ... but again, the illegal immigrant issue is not about race, nor should it be. It's very unfortunate that there are some stupid bigots who direct their anger toward all Mexicans/Hispanics, but I would say that kind of thing is quite rare. The majority of people are simply upset over illegal aliens living here, mooching off gov't services, committing crimes, having multitudes of babies, not speaking English, and not wanting to become citizens. Coincidentally, many of these illegals came from Mexico, but that doesn't mean Arizona is racist toward Mexicans. I would say that based on our large Hispanic population (30%), which is one of the highest in the nation, Arizona is actually quite welcoming to Mexicans/Hispanics.

Quote:
There's a lot of low class, trashy types here who just pull those antics to try to seem tough or rebellious. Take it with a grain of salt. Most people here will leave you alone.
I won't disagree about there being a good share of low class, trashy types ... but you can find those types in every state. It's definitely not exclusive to Arizona. Personally, I've come across more low class trash in parts of CA than I have anywhere in AZ. As I'm sure you know, being bigoted & trashy is a trait that can be found among all races, all ethnic backgrounds, and all income levels. Carroll O'Connor (who played Archie Bunker) once stated pretty much the same thing in an interview before he died.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:26 PM

755 posts, read 675,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Z16 View Post
Are blacks (5-6% population) able to prosper in this Republican State of AZ with a government of LDS members? Is there a secret to this? I have read many posts and seen a few YouTube videos about AZ being a racist state. I play well with others but I don't do well with racism!

C'mon......you know better. If you think being black could hold you back anywhere.......it (your thinking) will hold you back no matter where you go!!

Old 07-12-2015, 06:48 PM

Smile Being Black in AZ. Is it possible to be prosperous in this Republican State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
While Arizona generally leans Republican, we're not socially conservative like many places in the South or Midwest. Generally speaking, it's live & let live. In fact, AZ is probably one of the more integrated places in the nation. People of various races & backgrounds mix with each other pretty well for the most part.

Arizona is not a racist state by any means! If there is any ounce of racial hostility, it's directed primarily at illegals ... but again, the illegal immigrant issue is not about race, nor should it be. It's very unfortunate that there are some stupid bigots who direct their anger toward all Mexicans/Hispanics, but I would say that kind of thing is quite rare. The majority of people are simply upset over illegal aliens living here, mooching off gov't services, committing crimes, having multitudes of babies, not speaking English, and not wanting to become citizens. Coincidentally, many of these illegals came from Mexico, but that doesn't mean Arizona is racist toward Mexicans. I would say that based on our large Hispanic population (30%), which is one of the highest in the nation, Arizona is actually quite welcoming to Mexicans/Hispanics.

I won't disagree about there being a good share of low class, trashy types ... but you can find those types in every state. It's definitely not exclusive to Arizona. Personally, I've come across more low class trash in parts of CA than I have anywhere in AZ. As I'm sure you know, being bigoted & trashy is a trait that can be found among all races, all ethnic backgrounds, and all income levels. Carroll O'Connor (who played Archie Bunker) once stated pretty much the same thing in an interview before he died.
It's everywhere as you've stated. AZ is such a beautiful place and I'm comfortable with the information received from this forum. It is very seldom that I experience racism in IN but when I do it is blatant! It's nothing that will stop me from enjoying life though. Thanks!

Old 07-12-2015, 06:58 PM

Thumbs up Being Black in AZ. Is it possible to be prosperous in this Republican State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
C'mon......you know better. If you think being black could hold you back anywhere.......it (your thinking) will hold you back no matter where you go!!

I read too many negative comments and experiences before coming to this forum. One lady said she had 3 degrees and could not find a job in AZ. She said she was really having a hard time and couldn't wait to be able move. I know it's just one experience but it was one that stuck with me. It made me wonder if she educated herself out of a job being over qualified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona