Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,136 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

Were a couple of Aussies, trying to plan our first US Roadtrip.
We'll be arriving in the US mid January - Not looking forward to the cold.

Our current rough itinerary is as follows

Las Vegas
Grand Canyon AZ
Flagstaff AZ
Sedona AZ
Phoenix AZ
Tucson AZ
Tombstone AZ
Las Cruces NM

we have recently added the following to travel through Texas, Oklahoma & Kansas
Not sure which Cities/Towns are worth visiting, so i have just picked a few of the main
ones to work out travel time to allow. (Open to Suggestions on whats worth seeing)

San Antonio
Houston
Dallas
Tulsa
Kansas City

Albuquerque
Cortez/Durango
Monument Valley via Shiprock
Page
Zion NP
Las Vegas

Please feel free to make route change suggestions and let us know what we should see.
Were doing a majority of the national parks (Grand Canyon, Saguaro, White Sands NM, Mesa Verde, Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, Zion etc)

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 09:40 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeroadtripper View Post
San Antonio
Houston
Dallas
Tulsa
Kansas City
Do you have friends in these cities to make the visit worthwhile? Nothing in any of the above cities makes them worth visiting. I know first hand that KC is a great place to live and raise a family but I would not ever choose it as a vacation destination.

Sounds like you will already be out west so why not take a trip over to San Diego, then maybe head down to Rocky Point, SN, Mexico?

Or better yet, start in Ensenada, Mexico and drive all the way up to Vancouver, BC, Canada. Stop in San Diego, L.A., San Francisco, the Redwood Forest. Do some skiing/snowboarding in Bend, OR. Go skiing/snowboarding again at Whistler Blackombe.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:53 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,519,900 times
must see:
jerome, az
oak creek canyon, az

if you were visiting during the summer, i would include this on your trip:
Arizona State Parks: Tonto Natural Bridge: Home
but they are not open in the winter

parowan gap, ut
Parowan Gap Petroglyphs | Utah.com

kanab, ut
Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park | Utah State Parks

have a great trip!!!

Old 07-09-2015, 10:05 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,368 times
although theres some cool spots in texas, its definitely not worth the drive. even new mexico is kinda stretching it. instead of going east, go west! youre in prime location, take a road trip hangover movie style down I15 to LA, or san diego.

imo, its better to do something like, vegas to LA then LA to phoenix, then phoenix up to flagstaff then back to vegas. any parks near those routes side track and visit. only cold winter youll experience is in flagstaff.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:38 PM

192 posts, read 204,549 times
Don't mean to be harsh. But that sounds like a terrible and incredibly uninteresting road trip. To come all the way to the US and only visit all those mediocre cities and miss out on our greatest attractions would be a total waste and shame.

Instead, why not fly into and visit San Francisco then road trip along Big Sur, then check out Yosemite National Park, then onto Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, then tour Los Angeles. From there spend a short time in Vegas, then definitely visit Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks then onto Canyon Lands and Arches National Parks, monument valley and finally the Grand Canyon.

Not sure what the temps are in January. But am sure will be very cold. I love the parks in Southern Utah in the off season, you'll miss the heat, enjoy better scenery and practically have the parks to yourselves. Just keep in mind that certain national parks close certain roads and visitor centers during the Winter. Just do a little research ahead of time so you know what which parts of the parks will be accessible.

If you really want it to be a epic road trip, continue on to Colorado. Telluride all the way.

If you ever come back to the US, fly into Seattle and visit all the other great and radically different attractions that the Pacific Northwest offers. Olympic National Park, Oregon Coastline, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, Portland Oregon, Seattle Washington, Vancouver BC Canada etc etc

Last edited by coolbeans2000; 07-13-2015 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 12:41 PM

445 posts, read 515,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeroadtripper View Post
Hi guys,

Were a couple of Aussies, trying to plan our first US Roadtrip.
We'll be arriving in the US mid January - Not looking forward to the cold.

Our current rough itinerary is as follows

Las Vegas
Grand Canyon AZ
Flagstaff AZ
Sedona AZ
Phoenix AZ
Tucson AZ
Tombstone AZ
Las Cruces NM

we have recently added the following to travel through Texas, Oklahoma & Kansas
Not sure which Cities/Towns are worth visiting, so i have just picked a few of the main
ones to work out travel time to allow. (Open to Suggestions on whats worth seeing)

San Antonio
Houston
Dallas
Tulsa
Kansas City

Albuquerque
Cortez/Durango
Monument Valley via Shiprock
Page
Zion NP
Las Vegas

Please feel free to make route change suggestions and let us know what we should see.
Were doing a majority of the national parks (Grand Canyon, Saguaro, White Sands NM, Mesa Verde, Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, Zion etc)

TIA.
I agree with others in that adding a Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas City leg to your trip isn't really worth it. San Antonio and Austin are decent enough cities, and Dallas has it's spots that are okay I guess. But I can't think of any good reasons to go to Tulsa and Kansas City unless you're just interested in seeing the midwest/plains for the sake of doing it. In general, I'm not sure any of that is worth the sizeable distance you're going to be taking on by making those stops.

Others have said California and I would highly recommend re-directing your focus in that direction. If I was a first-timer in the US, I'd want to hit up LA and San Diego, plus some of the central coastal areas if you have time. If you do wind up going east into Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, I'd suggest taking I-70 back through Denver. Besides Denver being a fairly cool city, the drive back into Utah through the Rockies is spectacular. If you veer off the interstate in Utah and head south on US-191, you'll run through Moab, UT, where I'd highly recommend you make a stop in for a few days. Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, and Dead Horse Point State Park are three of my favorite national/state parks, and all three are within an hour or so from Moab.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:46 PM

558 posts, read 971,479 times
I used to drive regularly between Houston and Prescott. Las Cruces is a good place to spend the night and there's great New Mexican food to be had there. The long stretch from there to San Antonio is brutal. Van Horn is a terrible place to stop (only a couple of restaurants) and Ft. Stockton is nothing special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona