Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 01:36 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times

Advertisements

Hah! Here is an opinion from someone that visits AZ frequently, your laws seem to be keeping a large number of stupid people in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 01:54 PM

32 posts, read 47,468 times
I think Arizona politics do the opposite of what the OP claims. Just look at this thread!

Old 07-23-2015, 08:27 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
There's no evidence that government does anything better or more efficiently than private companies. If so, prove it!
Where did I say that?

Old 07-23-2015, 08:55 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Disagree our politics do nothing except hold us back from our true potential.

Ducey shouldn't be governor
Mark Brnovich shouldn't be Attorney General
The ACC shouldn't have been purchased by APS
SB 1070 shouldn't have happened
SB 1062 shouldn't have happened
The MLK Day debacle shouldn't have happened
Arpaio has proven how ridiculous MCSO has become
Diane Douglas is clearly unqualified to be our Superintendent
We continue to fund Private Prisons
We continue to allow unprecedented unmitigated sprawl and praise it while other cities catch on to modern interests and hint they aren't what we do
And most importantly our colleges have gone from cheap to amongst the most expensive in 5 years!

Our politics are embarrassing and have held back endless potential and squandered us to a laughingstock I do not praise any of it.
By virtue of the fact that there seems to be a building project on almost every corner in the Phoenix area I think our states politics are seen as a safe haven for many large companies that are moving here from other liberal states.

I also believe that the ending of the obama regime from power that is on the near horizon has also encouraged the business community to start getting plans and permits in place to go on a major building
campaign once the jarrett/obama team are gone.

Most of the states where people are unhappy and want to leave are high tax liberal states,not conservative states so that speaks volumes to those that are listening.

Last edited by autism360; 07-23-2015 at 09:09 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 09:18 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Illegal aliens ARE a BIG problem here and, most of us want their kind OUT.
Illegal immigration causes about 1/5 (maybe) of the problems that people think that they do, and actually is more helpful versus hurtful to the economy as a whole.

Yes, we need to change our immigration policies to ones that are actually enforceable.

But illegal immigration is NOT the big problem everyone makes it out to be, not anywhere close.

Politicians pry on people's fear of Spanish speaking people and the mis-perception of illegal immigrants.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:42 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
By virtue of the fact that there seems to be a building project on almost every corner in the Phoenix area I think our states politics are seen as a safe haven for many large companies that are moving here from other liberal states.

I also believe that the ending of the obama regime from power that is on the near horizon has also encouraged the business community to start getting plans and permits in place to go on a major building
campaign once the jarrett/obama team are gone.

Most of the states where people are unhappy and want to leave are high tax liberal states,not conservative states so that speaks volumes to those that are listening.
People wanting to leave means nothing.
This isn't a left vs right issue. It's crazy how the system creates a them vs us mentality.
Why isn't Arizona included on States that people want to stay in?
Building stuff has been our economic driver for decades, I'm glad we're centralizing in Phoenix finally!
Phoenix proper is a city with a liberal mayor, Tempe is a liberal city why are they continually cited as our beacons? It makes no sense huh? Two of our Valley liberal cities are thriving. Strange.
Which companies are moving here and bringing high paying work? Don't name call centers.
Why is it okay for our State Universities to go from among the cheapest to on par with the UC system?
I doubt Obama has many direct effects on our local issues.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:22 AM

570 posts, read 1,001,507 times
I personally have an issue with Raul Grijalva, and the people who keep voting him in office, especially after that SB1070 bill back in 2010. Telling the world to boycott Arizona when you represent a portion of the state in Congress, especially with the way the Arizona economy has been the past few years.

Sheriff Joe is someone who I believe should retire. A younger sheriff who can be against illegal immigration (and other crimes) without being such a publicity hound. I also wonder if "Tent City" and all the things there are less of a crime deterrent than they may have been back in the 1990s.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:31 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Illegal immigration causes about 1/5 (maybe) of the problems that people think that they do, and actually is more helpful versus hurtful to the economy as a whole.

Yes, we need to change our immigration policies to ones that are actually enforceable.

But illegal immigration is NOT the big problem everyone makes it out to be, not anywhere close.

Politicians pry on people's fear of Spanish speaking people and the mis-perception of illegal immigrants.
You call pushing down ages helpful? Maybe for some business owners but, NOT for us who actually work with our hands.

Too; MOST illegal aliens are some kind of "Hispanic" so that's why so many of us Americans give Spanish speaking Latinos who ain't the "tourist type" the "stink eye". Hell; even many Chicanos DON'T want illegals here because it hurts their rep as well as looking for work.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:01 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
I personally have an issue with Raul Grijalva, and the people who keep voting him in office, especially after that SB1070 bill back in 2010. Telling the world to boycott Arizona when you represent a portion of the state in Congress, especially with the way the Arizona economy has been the past few years.

Sheriff Joe is someone who I believe should retire. A younger sheriff who can be against illegal immigration (and other crimes) without being such a publicity hound. I also wonder if "Tent City" and all the things there are less of a crime deterrent than they may have been back in the 1990s.
I'm not one to defend Grijalva but what SB 1070 did to Southern AZ's economy and continues to do created a lot of frustration. Tucson and the surrounding area have a lot of high end retail geared towards attracting wealthy Sonoran Mexicans that were scared away. We were experiencing one crazy recession, then our State decided to scare away the one population they could still depend on. SB 1070 actually had Southern AZ considering seceding from the rest of the state.

SB1070 was a travesty a stupid unnecessary one at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
You call pushing down ages helpful? Maybe for some business owners but, NOT for us who actually work with our hands.

Too; MOST illegal aliens are some kind of "Hispanic" so that's why so many of us Americans give Spanish speaking Latinos who ain't the "tourist type" the "stink eye". Hell; even many Chicanos DON'T want illegals here because it hurts their rep as well as looking for work.
We live next to an international border, get outside your shell and experience a new culture! Tucson and Phoenix have some neat Barrios, Mexican Stores and Restaurants. What is this the 60s? We're giving the stink eye to people because they're brown so they might be illegal?

I'm assuming youre a transplant or snow bird. At least I hope so.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:30 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
We're near the bottom of many quality of life metrics (education quality, child poverty, poverty in general, educational attainment). We make negative national news often because of our politics. We almost lost the Super Bowl because of the legislature and our "conservative politics." We lost numerous conventions and numerous people boycotted our state because of our "conservative politics." Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
Poverty numbers stem from the vast amounts of illegal immigrants, and dirt-poor reservations, Im sure.

And if you think AZ is bad, I invite you to Chicago sometime. You think poverty is bad here? You think education is bad here? Go visit Chicago, I dare you. Chicagoans have to deal with RIDICULOUSLY high taxes, RAMPANT crime, anti-gun laws, commie-like mayors, horrible roads (toll roads nonetheless), "sanctuary city" BS, etc. We have it good in AZ. Trust me on that.

Stop and think for just a split second... Do you ever wonder why so many people flee cities like Chicago, NYC, LA? Stop and think about reasons why there are mass migrations away from those cities to PHX. People are tired of the crime. Theyre tired of the high taxes. Theyre tired of the bad education. The Democratic corruption. The horrible roads. The neverending debt. Theyre tired of having Constitutional rights taken away. Theyre beat down by the fact that theyre paying for hundreds of thousands of illegals. Theyre tired of funding masses on welfare, who continually vote in liberals. Its a vicious cycle of neverending BS.

And nothing irks me more than those same people who vote in those boneheads, then reap the negativity that they sow, then relocate here and try to turn it into the same sh**hole that they left. Makes perfect sense, doesnt it?!?!

If you dont like AZ and how "conservative" it is, go back to Chicago. Or Detroit. Or LA. Or NYC. Enjoy the crappy quality of life that they offer. I wouldnt move to San Fran and complain how liberal it is, so dont move to AZ and complain how conservative it is. I wouldnt move to San Fran and demand the public conform to conservative beliefs. You know what youre getting into when you move some place, it shouldnt be a shock now should it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona