Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 07:16 PM

2,926 posts, read 3,101,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Disagree our politics do nothing except hold us back from our true potential.

Ducey shouldn't be governor
Mark Brnovich shouldn't be Attorney General
The ACC shouldn't have been purchased by APS
SB 1070 shouldn't have happened
SB 1062 shouldn't have happened
The MLK Day debacle shouldn't have happened
Arpaio has proven how ridiculous MCSO has become
Diane Douglas is clearly unqualified to be our Superintendent
We continue to fund Private Prisons
We continue to allow unprecedented unmitigated sprawl and praise it while other cities catch on to modern interests and hint they aren't what we do
And most importantly our colleges have gone from cheap to amongst the most expensive in 5 years!

Our politics are embarrassing and have held back endless potential and squandered us to a laughingstock I do not praise any of it.
Ducey was elected.
The Attorney General was elected.
ACC purchase by APS not up for debate.
SB 1070 was passed and signed.
SB 1062 . . .
MLK day is ancient history
Arpaio should be
Diane Douglas was elected.
etc.

I find it continuously amusing when a progressive posts here. Especially here in the Arizona section berating the state and its politics. Then I find it even more amusing when they are called on it and encouraged to either: go back to where their views are acceptable or told to go where their views are acceptable; where upon they become very combative and keep on pushing their progressive agenda calling everyone else closed minded.

I live in Washington state, a VERY progressive state. I cannot stand the politics, however, I do not go to the Washington state section here and start multiple threads trying to berate folks about the politics here and how my way is much better. Our governor just passed an increase to our gasoline tax to be paid by citizens all over the state; yet the funds are all earmarked for highway projects near Seattle.

I also find it amusing when progressives push their "a, b, c" agenda and if I do not like it and push back with "x, y, z"; I am accused of being closed minded.

What if I have already lived in a state where I saw the "a, b, and c" agenda pushed and that is why I prefer "x, y, and z"? Like the CSSR where I was born and raised? It used to be great, but now it is not.

Nope, when I push back and say I prefer "x, y, and z" I am the one being closed minded, not the progressive one who is pushing "a, b, and c" whom refuses to even consider "x, y, and z".

Comical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 07:43 PM

32 posts, read 47,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Ducey was elected.
SB 1062 . . .
Arpaio should be
etc.

I find it continuously amusing when a progressive posts here. Especially here in the Arizona section berating the state and its politics. Then I find it even more amusing when they are called on it and encouraged to either: go back to where their views are acceptable or told to go where their views are acceptable; where upon they become very combative and keep on pushing their progressive agenda calling everyone else closed minded.

I live in Washington state, a VERY progressive state. I cannot stand the politics, however, I do not go to the Washington state section here and start multiple threads trying to berate folks about the politics here and how my way is much better. Our governor just passed an increase to our gasoline tax to be paid by citizens all over the state; yet the funds are all earmarked for highway projects near Seattle.

I also find it amusing when progressives push their "a, b, c" agenda and if I do not like it and push back with "x, y, z"; I am accused of being closed minded.

What if I have already lived in a state where I saw the "a, b, and c" agenda pushed and that is why I prefer "x, y, and z"? Like the CSSR where I was born and raised? It used to be great, but now it is not.

Nope, when I push back and say I prefer "x, y, and z" I am the one being closed minded, not the progressive one who is pushing "a, b, and c" whom refuses to even consider "x, y, and z".

Comical.
This is the Arizona thread so IMO any resident of Arizona can post in here no matter what their political views are. Arizona actually has a lot of progressives and isn't strictly a conservative state. Not everyone here has conservative views. Seeing as how you don't even live in this state I'm an unsure why you are posting in this forum.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:27 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,976,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Ducey was elected.
SB 1062 . . .
Arpaio should be
etc.

Comical.
The beauty of politics is that we can disagree. Besides that post was probably my single most repped post, obviously people agree.

Your opinion on the gas tax sounds like HURF here in AZ where a lot of the non Maricopa County cities feel that their money gets taken for the benefit of the capital.

And I haven't started any threads? I disagree with the premise of this thread, it's the only thing I don't like about AZ. Now have a nice day back in the WA State Section

Last edited by JGMotorsport64; 07-27-2015 at 10:22 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 06:09 AM

604 posts, read 936,113 times
As a resident of MN (you know, the land of wrestler Jesse Ventura and comic Al Franken) and a future resident of AZ I often post here because I have an interest in this state. I hope we encourage many points of view in a civilized and respectful manner on this and any other site. I also encourage a dis-couragement of name calling and personal sniping in the posting of opinion.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:47 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,922,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Right, corral those retirees out in the middle of nowhere!(back in the day anyways)

I'm a newbie in comparison but I do remember before we lived here, driving from Las Vegas to Sun Devil stadium to catch a Cardinal's game back in the 1990's down 93 to 60 and seeing what Surprise looked like during that time period. Amazing how fast it all grew since then.

That's been my experience too on the complaints of AZ.....very few. The few people that we've known that moved from AZ was either job related or moving back to family. And yeah, the complaints about the summer heat from some....ugh. I always joke with a straight face and say "it's almost as if we live in the low desert.......". That approach sometimes gets me a blank stare and then I can't hold back and I have to laugh.
That's funny and I'll have to remember it myself.

I don't think there's anything that will keep AZ, in general, from growing. It's called "progress", I guess, but sometimes I hate "progress".

Old 07-28-2015, 09:35 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,976,131 times
https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2015/...-default-rate/

Arizona ties Alaska for lowest rate of College Completion and tops the ENTIRE US in Student Loan Default at 18% with a national average of 11%.

So what do we think, this is troubling.

I'm happy to see that our State Universities are at least near national for those that attend around 1/2 graduate but at an entire aggregate for the State 29% college attainment is pretty bad.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:58 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,981,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2015/...-default-rate/

Arizona ties Alaska for lowest rate of College Completion and tops the ENTIRE US in Student Loan Default at 18% with a national average of 11%.

So what do we think, this is troubling.

I'm happy to see that our State Universities are at least near national for those that attend around 1/2 graduate but at an entire aggregate for the State 29% college attainment is pretty bad.
Just a side note, the metric of college attainment though useful is kind of out dated. Many in the skilled trades out earn many college degreed professionals now, depending on the degree.

Also the idea that college degrees and advanced education automatically leads one to the good life is false and generates a mindset of entitlement (which many progressive's hold). I'm only marginally sympathetic to those with huge college loan debts that didn't bother to select a degree with a reasonable chance of earning enough income to pay off these debts in a reasonable amount of time. That data is readily available.

And I come at this as a person who graduated with a politcal science degree and spent four and a half years working in a warehouse before I reskilled to something that paid

Last edited by infocyde; 07-28-2015 at 05:10 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 06:43 PM

604 posts, read 936,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
Just a side note, the metric of college attainment though useful is kind of out dated. Many in the skilled trades out earn many college degreed professionals now, depending on the degree.

Also the idea that college degrees and advanced education automatically leads one to the good life is false and generates a mindset of entitlement (which many progressive's hold). I'm only marginally sympathetic to those with huge college loan debts that didn't bother to select a degree with a reasonable chance of earning enough income to pay off these debts in a reasonable amount of time. That data is readily available.
To bad universities don't advise students majoring in such things as multiculturalism, women's studies, sociology, etc. that the market for these skills is extremely tight. However, they (colleges and universities) are also capitalists and don't want to discourage any student (customer) from spending big bucks for their product, useful or not.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:04 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
To bad universities don't advise students majoring in such things as multiculturalism, women's studies, sociology, etc. that the market for these skills is extremely tight. However, they (colleges and universities) are also capitalists and don't want to discourage any student (customer) from spending big bucks for their product, useful or not.
I was a fresh-faced junior in high school when I decided I wanted to major in Anthropology. Sadly, my parents were not on board with that idea.

40 years later I had a chance to talk at length with two professors of anthropology at San Jose State who were my age. I got to see what my life might have been like had I gotten my wish.

Academia would not have suited me, I know now, and I would have made a poor teacher and a lousy faculty lounge politician.

Young people who are thinking of majoring in women's studies or multiculturalism should seek out their future selves and take a clear-eyed view of their lives. It could be the single most important thing they ever do.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:14 AM

605 posts, read 1,094,087 times
Imagine the state you live in is loosing population at such a rate, the only way to stop the loss, is you're forced to be a sanctuary state for illegals. That's how you keep your population up.

Imagine your property taxes just TRIPLED! example: You were paying $1000 a year, and now you're paying $3000 a year.

Imagine you have the worst roads and bridges in the Country. (Manhole covers 4" below grade, pot holes everywhere.) plus you pay more per mile for road maintenance than anywhere in the Country.

Imagine your state is run by unions, and still you have the worst schools and infrastructure in the region.

Imagine you pay more for fire protection than anywhere in the Country by double, a Fireman can easily earn $100,000 in over time pay!

Imagine your state has double the state workers as a neighboring state, that is 8 times the size, and double the population.

This what Progressive Democratic control has brought us. We are little Greece.

I've been to Arizona many times, some of you have no idea what you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona