Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 06:58 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,096,740 times

Advertisements

azriverfan, do you vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 12:52 PM

604 posts, read 935,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
.... I know many physicians, engineers, lawyers and other professionals in this state and the vast majority of them moved from outside of Arizona. They don't vote. They don't participate in local politics. They scoff at the same things in the paper as everyone else yet do nothing about it. They are too busy to care or personally invest in the local political process....

Thankfully the friends I have that fit the above description are conservative and they are usually not prone to braggadocio.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:06 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
If you are like me and are educated, high earning, well traveled and well read, you will think our state is attracting the wrong type of people. It's almost designed to attract the Ted Nugent gun toting, raised truck driving, blue collar individuals. The state doesn't invest in education. They embrace anti-gay and immigrant rhetoric. They try to minimize abortion and other reproductive rights. They would rather keep property taxes low to keep cookie cutter houses cheap so they can attract call center and low wage earners than cut income tax to lure high earning white collar professionals.

The ironic thing is this could change if the voter apathy wasn't so high in this state. I know many physicians, engineers, lawyers and other professionals in this state and the vast majority of them moved from outside of Arizona. They don't vote. They don't participate in local politics. They scoff at the same things in the paper as everyone else yet do nothing about it. They are too busy to care or personally invest in the local political process. They are socially liberal. They don't endorse Arpaio or the backward 1070 and 1060 policies. If they and others voted, guys like Ducey wouldn't win the governorship.
Generally speaking, you are correct that AZ is attracting the wrong types ... however, it's more likely due to our promotion of things like the sunny climate, which doesn't always attract the highly skilled, educated, career driven individuals. We seem to get a fair share of NIMBY types who protest anything and everything from freeways to highrises. Also, our tax structure is not exactly business friendly. If we eliminated the state income tax, and either lowered or did away with corporate taxes, Arizona would be more of a draw to reputable businesses which would bring in the higher paying competitive jobs.

As far as Ducey is concerned, I have more confidence in him than I did Napolitano or Brewer. Ducey is a pro business conservative, but not a right winger. Also, I think Arpaio's days are numbered due to two factors: his age, and all the legal dealings hanging over him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
Rather be in a State were my dollar goes further, than work so hard just to have the "Prestige" of working in a big city that is a Rat Race day in and day out.
Well, Phoenix is definitely a big city that fits the definition of the rat race, especially on weekdays during morning & afternoon rush hours. Not a rat race like New York, Chicago, or L.A., but it can be bad enough at times. One of the things that attracts people to Arizona is the fact that it's less expensive than places like New York, Chicago, and L.A. ... so you can still have somewhat of the rat race, only at a cheaper rate.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:19 AM

105 posts, read 106,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Well, Phoenix is definitely a big city that fits the definition of the rat race, especially on weekdays during morning & afternoon rush hours. Not a rat race like New York, Chicago, or L.A., but it can be bad enough at times. One of the things that attracts people to Arizona is the fact that it's less expensive than places like New York, Chicago, and L.A. ... so you can still have somewhat of the rat race, only at a cheaper rate.
Your right, I guess what I'm mainly thinking is that people don't have to stress as much or work 2-3 jobs due to a higher COL than those 3 major cities in those 3 democratic states.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:03 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,826,060 times
I think conservative and liberal politics in moderation will lead to success rather than the opposite of an area being loyally Republican or Democratic by large enough margins that the other parties don't stand a chance. Staying in political moderation (at least within between the two main parties) eliminates any one party from gaining too much power in an area. So I can't say that I agree with this thread.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:22 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,966,873 times
Two large employers skip Phoenix citing reputation and education

Old 08-14-2015, 06:10 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,826,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I find this unfortunate. Arizona has a lot of redeeming qualities that can't be seen past the crap of SB 1070 and things of that nature. I really wish that never happened.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:26 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,966,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I find this unfortunate. Arizona has a lot of redeeming qualities that can't be seen past the crap of SB 1070 and things of that nature. I really wish that never happened.
That's what I've been saying, we deserve better there is no reason for us to be in this kind of predicament yet we seem to always make our way there.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:47 AM

604 posts, read 935,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Really! The nerve of a state wanting to enforce federal law! Look how much more peaceful AZ would be if they'd just open that southern border and make it a 'sanctuary state'.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:46 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,051,383 times
What I don't understand is why Arizona ranks near the bottom in terms of education. Is it due to lack of funding, the demographics (high hispanic and native americans), or other factors? I understand education is local. For example, my school district is rated highly (Kyrene).

It's not like we have the lowest taxes in the nation, so where is the money going? This state will go nowhere if it's schools are on par with Mississippi's. Good grief!!

I heard a story on the tv news that Casa Grande is hiring teachers from the Philippines! Not that the Philippine teachers are bad (on the contrary), but it shows this state is dysfunctional on a very basic level if it can't retain its American teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona