U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 03:13 PM

12 posts, read 14,035 times

Advertisements

Some states offer an "enhanced" drivers license (EDL). (Arizona doesn't offer this option. In fact, anyone who wants to fly beginning sometime in 2016, will have to get a new Arizona drivers license that meets federal requirements. Arizona lawmakers pass travel ID bill )

"Starting February 3, 2014, the State of Minnesota will be the fifth state to offer an Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) and Enhanced Identification Card (EID).

What is an EDL card?

It is a dual-purpose, optional card designed for the user's convenience. In addition to serving as a typical driver's license, the card allows a Minnesota resident to re-enter the U.S. at its land or seaports when returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean. This flexibility speeds your passage back across the border. They verify your identity and citizenship–no other proof is required. EDL cards are among the federally-approved border-crossing documents required under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). An EDL is also available to a Minnesota driver who qualifies for a commercial driver license (CDL)."

Last edited by rss786; 08-14-2015 at 03:30 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 06:39 PM

755 posts, read 968,976 times
Moderator cut: off-topic and orphaned text deleted

My point though was simply that if I get into a bind in Mexico, I want my passport with me. And I don't want to give the police an excuse to threaten or harrass me, whether it is honestly a requirement or not. So if/when I go, I'll take my passport and hope for the best.

But I find myself less inclined to go...

Last edited by yellowbelle; 08-14-2015 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: off-topic and orphaned text deleted

Old 08-14-2015, 07:29 PM

9,093 posts, read 17,398,960 times
I was in Rocky point last month and had a blast. Exchange is 15 to 1 right now, so its not a bad time to go.

Passport, card or edl have been the requirement for a while now for us and Canada...... Sure they may let you back in, but they may delay or find a reason to fine you as well

Also, we waited 30 minutes in sonoita to get through, our exchange was really quick but be prepared with the required docs .... On busy days you may run into everyone having a lack of patience with you not being prepared

The passport is just a cost of travel there and a realitively cheap one, like buying Mexican auto insurance for your car

Old 08-17-2015, 11:08 AM

831 posts, read 2,130,214 times
We went, enjoyed ourselves, and returned. Everyone had their pasport. They asked a few questions (where we stayed, how long etc) and let us on our way.

Overall, the experience was ok, nothing to write home about. We paid about $1200 for a luxurious 3bdrm condo on the beach from Thurs-Sun. Obviously that would have been a lot more in SD or LA area. The food prices where we dined were comparable to the states.
The town was consistent with what you'd expect in a third-world country. The people were very friendly. The shops were filled with the same identical junk over and over. I bought some NFL poncho's for my sons, however the rest of the crap didn't appeal to me. We did however buy some shrimp and halibut for great prices.
It was weird seeing the ocean right at the cusp of the Sonoran desert.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:11 AM

6,620 posts, read 7,898,608 times
Amazing? If crime, blight and poor mexicans is amazing. You can just stop in Phoenix and enjoy that, and some parts still speak english...

PS you may not realize it, but each time you enter the US, even as a citizen you are asking permission. Technically they can deny your return.

I got stuck once on the bridge between Guatemala and El Salvador. My Guate visa was expired, El Salvador kicked me out, something to do with my taking photos of stuff the govt didn't want known... (I was a journalist). Luckily I was able to sweet talk my way into Guate, or I might still be living on the bridge.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:24 AM

20,302 posts, read 23,869,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Amazing? For me, interesting, perhaps.

The times I went (to Mexico) it answered all of my questions and I'm no longer curious about down there. There will always be those who go there for different reasons: first timers -- those who will return -- and those who have been there, are quite satisfied with their experience, and are done!
And for the many who simply can't afford the price of medications in this country. I'd be dead, without the pharmacies in Mexico I've been using for 22 years! And I mean that literally!

Even being on a Medicare Advantage Plan, I still need to make my pharmacy trips to Mexico!

And dental work!

Every trip I make to Mexico, coming back, I always ask the question, even though I know the repeated answer: What would happen if I forgot to bring my passport along?

No problem, your driver's license will suffice!

Old 08-26-2015, 07:43 AM

7,593 posts, read 7,200,937 times
Yep - I bring a birth certificate issued in the county I was born in along with my picture ID (driver's license) and I've never had a problem. Unbeatable dental prices!

Old 09-01-2015, 04:41 AM

14 posts, read 11,881 times
Hi,
Yes, Passport is required to visit Rocky point & is accepted proof of citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona