Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 10:08 AM

837 posts, read 2,334,428 times

Advertisements

I've seen sites (including the State Dept) suggesting that you should have it, but no definitive language that it is required for land travel back from Mexico. Can anyone point me to binding authority on whether it's necessary or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 10:23 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
I have read here that getting back in is faster with a passport, but it can be done with a driver's license and birth certificate. Let me see if I can find that thread and if there's any more info in there that would help you.

Here you go:

//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...-saturday.html

And another:

//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...k-nogales.html

There is some good info based on experience at the border.

Having a passport or passport card is certainly best, as Bummer indicates below.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:26 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cadillac_Lawyer View Post
I've seen sites (including the State Dept) suggesting that you should have it, but no definitive language that it is required for land travel back from Mexico. Can anyone point me to binding authority on whether it's necessary or not?
Personally, Cadillac Lawyer . . . with all of the BS going on nowadays, I would NEVER step foot out of this country without a Valid Passport in hand.

Just another one of those . . . NOT WORTH THE RISK scenarios.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:29 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Yes, I am pretty sure it is, because when we went last year we were asked for our passports when we re-entered into the US, which were then swiped by USCBP.

Note that as a cheaper alternative to a full passport book is the Passport Card. A Passport Card is an RFID-based card that allows for land and sea entry into the United States. However, it is not valid for air travel into the US. If you don't plan on travelling internationally by air, the Passport Card may be an option for you. In addition, the Passport Card (unlike the traditional passport book) is eligible for the Ready Lanes at select border crossings (which will soon be coming to the Lukeville crossing), which allow for faster entry into the United States. In fact, some people who have a passport book also have a Passport Card, particularly those who cross the border frequently.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Personally, Cadillac Lawyer . . . with all of the BS going on nowadays, I would NEVER step foot out of this country without a Valid Passport in hand.

I agree with this. Maybe you CAN get back in, but why risk it? Just have the proper paperwork and save yourself the trouble.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:34 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,609,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I agree with this. Maybe you CAN get back in, but why risk it? Just have the proper paperwork and save yourself the trouble.
Been to Mexico. No desire to ever return for any reason. America has everything I need right here.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:35 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
It is interesting that in spite of the anecdotal information in those threads that a DL and birth certificate works but takes longer, EVERY website on the subject recites the PASScard or passport requirement.

Actually, I believe the anecdotal info, as I really do not believe that the US government would make someone with a birth certificate and drivers license stay in Mexico until they can get a passport. But.....

It's not worth it to me, personally, to go to Rocky Point, or anywhere in Mexico, without a PASScard or passport.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:35 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Been to Mexico. No desire to ever return for any reason. America has everything I need right here.

I've been to Mexico, too, and it was amazing. I can't wait to go back.

Oh and I had my passport.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:06 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Around 2-3 years ago my friend went with his mother to Los Algodones. He had a passport but she traveled with her driver license & birth certificate. To my knowledge they did not have trouble upon re-entry.

Given the climate of border paranoia and that, in my personal experience, American border agents can be embarrassingly rude and abrasive, I'd play it safe and get a passport or passport card.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:13 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,609,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I've been to Mexico, too, and it was amazing. I can't wait to go back.

Oh and I had my passport.
Amazing? For me, interesting, perhaps.

The times I went (to Mexico) it answered all of my questions and I'm no longer curious about down there. There will always be those who go there for different reasons: first timers -- those who will return -- and those who have been there, are quite satisfied with their experience, and are done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona