U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 03:15 PM

6,178 posts, read 9,240,004 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know officially, the US Office of Management and Budget considers Casa Grande to be part of the Phoenix metropolitan area due to it being in Pinal County, however, I was wondering, by the public in general, is Casa Grande considered Phoenix or Tucson?

Here are some arguments why Casa Grande may be considered to be more aligned with Tucson than Phoenix:
  • Like Tucson, Casa Grande is in Area Code 520 (although I think landline calls between Casa Grande and Tucson are still considered long distance).
  • Casa Grande is in ADOT's Tucson Engineering District as far as highways go.
So, is Casa Grande considered to be Phoenix or Tucson?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 03:50 PM

7,796 posts, read 5,170,387 times
Id say neither but leans Phoenix. Most people I know in Casa Grande work in the prisons, Central AZ College, the hospital or farms or are retired. Some work in Chandler as they have some industry. Tucsons industry is mainly located around the Sonoran Corridor, Kino between the 210 and i10 or in the central city which is a good distance from Casa Grande.

If we had to do where leans where though, I think the Phoenix influence ends around the I8 and the Tucson influence ends around Picacho. This isn't to say anything of any of these areas, but Pinal County doesn't really have the quality of life for people to commute from it beyond these influence boundaries.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:12 PM

20,524 posts, read 14,029,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Id say neither but leans Phoenix. Most people I know in Casa Grande work in the prisons, Central AZ College, the hospital or farms or are retired. Some work in Chandler as they have some industry. Tucsons industry is mainly located around the Sonoran Corridor, Kino between the 210 and i10 or in the central city which is a good distance from Casa Grande.

If we had to do where leans where though, I think the Phoenix influence ends around the I8 and the Tucson influence ends around Picacho. This isn't to say anything of any of these areas, but Pinal County doesn't really have the quality of life for people to commute from it beyond these influence boundaries.
That kinda sounds about right tho CG is it's own little world the last time I was by there.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:54 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,647,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Yes, I know officially, the US Office of Management and Budget considers Casa Grande to be part of the Phoenix metropolitan area due to it being in Pinal County, however, I was wondering, by the public in general, is Casa Grande considered Phoenix or Tucson?

Here are some arguments why Casa Grande may be considered to be more aligned with Tucson than Phoenix:
  • Like Tucson, Casa Grande is in Area Code 520 (although I think landline calls between Casa Grande and Tucson are still considered long distance).
  • Casa Grande is in ADOT's Tucson Engineering District as far as highways go.
So, is Casa Grande considered to be Phoenix or Tucson?
I've always been a part of the general populace of Arizona, and geographically speaking, my general observation is that Casa Grande is neither Phoenix nor Tucson. CG has just always been a place which is roughly the halfway point between both.

Anymore, I have to agree that Tucson is pretty much everything south of Picacho Peak, but I've never felt any physical relation between CG or Phoenix at all.

Personally, regarding just Tucson and Phoenix, it's never the twain shall meet, in my opinion!

Old 08-14-2015, 06:54 PM

20,524 posts, read 14,029,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I've always been a part of the general populace of Arizona, and geographically speaking, my general observation is that Casa Grande is neither Phoenix nor Tucson. CG has just always been a place which is roughly the halfway point between both.

Anymore, I have to agree that Tucson is pretty much everything south of Picacho Peak, but I've never felt any physical relation between CG or Phoenix at all.

Personally, regarding just Tucson and Phoenix, it's never the twain shall meet, in my opinion!
Maybe yes, maybe no. Unless something puts the brakes on the crazy "growth" here in Arizona 1st.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:56 PM

17,824 posts, read 38,670,081 times
It "isn't" either one. That said, I think the connection is stronger to Phoenix in terms of people living there and working here in the Valley... the southeast Valley is closer to CG than Tucson is.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:04 PM

5,110 posts, read 4,550,374 times
Casa Grande is its own thing. Most people I know who live here commute to both Phoenix and Tucson, which is why they live there.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:49 AM

1,673 posts, read 3,800,268 times
Well, as others have said - neither and both - for various reasons - BUT, if a choice had to be made I would say Phoenix.

Reasons:

1. Closer to the SE phoenix valley than any real suburbia of Tucson - yes there is the outskirts of Marana about the same distance, but that isnt the same level of services as Awhatukee, Chandler, and Gilbert to the north.

2. More people head to the valley for activities - Baseball, Football, Gambling, etc. Tucson drives usually involve nature or art of some type etc.

3. NO Tucson TV here - all Phoenix.

There are others - and I am one of the people who live here in part due to the options of going north, south, or WEST (an hour shorter drive into San Diego than from either of the other areas). But much more of a Phoenix influence here than Tucson.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:55 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,647,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Well, as others have said - neither and both - for various reasons - BUT, if a choice had to be made I would say Phoenix.

Reasons:

1. Closer to the SE phoenix valley than any real suburbia of Tucson - yes there is the outskirts of Marana about the same distance, but that isnt the same level of services as Awhatukee, Chandler, and Gilbert to the north.

2. More people head to the valley for activities - Baseball, Football, Gambling, etc. Tucson drives usually involve nature or art of some type etc.

3. NO Tucson TV here - all Phoenix.

There are others - and I am one of the people who live here in part due to the options of going north, south, or WEST (an hour shorter drive into San Diego than from either of the other areas). But much more of a Phoenix influence here than Tucson.
Good to hear from a Casa Grande resident on this. Thought your number two (2) reason was interesting based on your particular insight.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:57 AM

6,178 posts, read 9,240,004 times
Speaking of television, it is a bit strange that Nielsen refuses to split Pinal County between the Phoenix and Tucson DMAs. As far as I know, there are only nine counties nationwide that Nielsen has split between two different DMAs:
  • El Dorado County, California (Sacramento and Reno DMAs)
  • Kern County, California (Bakersfield and Los Angeles DMAs)
  • Riverside County, California (Los Angeles and Palm Springs DMAs)
  • Solano County, California (Sacramento and San Francisco DMAs)
  • Apache County, Arizona (Albuquerque-Santa Fe and Phoenix DMAs)
  • La Paz County, Arizona (Yuma-El Centro and Phoenix DMAs)
  • Nicollet County, Minnesota (Minneapolis-St Paul and Mankato DMAs)
  • Lea County, New Mexico (Albuquerque-Santa Fe and Odessa-Midland DMAs)
  • Oneida County, New York (Utica and Syracuse DMAs)
It would make sense for everything from Eloy to the Pima County line to be part of the Tucson DMA instead of Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona