U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 10:55 AM

192 posts, read 338,987 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to Kingman a year ago and we love it here. We're retired so jobs was not something we were concerned about. My step-daughter and her husband are looking to relocate here from CA and spent this last week looking at houses that were horse properties. They chose a realtor online and met her on Tues. and we were asked to go along. I felt this realtor was very inexperienced and very young, but they liked her so it doesn't matter what I think (that's another story).

My step-daughter and her husband had been here several times before in the last year and we took them around to all the different areas in Kingman. We showed them Golden Valley and Valle Vista and Birdland and told them these were the not so desirable areas.

The first place the realtor took us was on Skylark Dr. I said, "Isn't that Birdland?", and she said it wasn't.

I'm confused. Can someone set me straight on where IS Birdland??

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 05:11 PM

20,524 posts, read 14,320,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtxn View Post
My husband and I moved to Kingman a year ago and we love it here. We're retired so jobs was not something we were concerned about. My step-daughter and her husband are looking to relocate here from CA and spent this last week looking at houses that were horse properties. They chose a realtor online and met her on Tues. and we were asked to go along. I felt this realtor was very inexperienced and very young, but they liked her so it doesn't matter what I think (that's another story).

My step-daughter and her husband had been here several times before in the last year and we took them around to all the different areas in Kingman. We showed them Golden Valley and Valle Vista and Birdland and told them these were the not so desirable areas.

The first place the realtor took us was on Skylark Dr. I said, "Isn't that Birdland?", and she said it wasn't.

Thanks
I'm pretty sure "Skylark" IS in Birdland.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:18 PM

59 posts, read 107,583 times
I am looking to relocate to Kingman also. I got a map of the Kingman area. It appears to me that Skylark is NOT in Birdland, but appears to be pretty close. The other streets near Skylark are N. Bond, N Willow, N Van Nuys as well as other none bird names.. The streets in Birdland are in a triangular section with the names Canary,Robin, Bluebird, Quail etc. This is from looking at a map not from my personal knowledge though.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:59 PM

136 posts, read 89,160 times
We moved here almost 2 years ago. I am not familiar with the birdland area.
You said you are retired, so there is no worry of jobs for you & your husband. On the other hand. Does your step daughter & husband have jobs lined up in Kingman or the area? If so...great. I had 30 years of experience in the industry I was trying to get in to. It took me a year to get a minimum wage job. It was a shock, since it has been 35 years since I got paid minimum. Whole different world.

We found a good realtor here. Good luck to your step daughter & husband. We checked out a lot of places.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:39 PM

192 posts, read 338,987 times
Well, this was an eye-opening week for them. We didn't comment on anything they looked at. Our son-in-law had a job interview at a manufacturing plant for a maintenance position, which is what he does in CA, but when he told them he wouldn't be available until the end of Sept., I think they crossed him off their list of applicants. He hasn't heard from them. My step-daughter was so sure she could get into the hospital as a ward clerk (she had just spend $450 to take the course and get certified) but her application was rejected because a previous employer from years ago was no longer in business so her position couldn't be verified. She was shocked that they didn't scoop her up with open arms. I said there were jobs in the paper for receptionists at doctors offices, etc., but she said she wouldn't work for $9/hour.

Then we looked at several homes in their price range. Their problem is, they want an acre+ because she wants horses and he wants a building for his machinery and old cars. There was nothing (except one lovely place, but it was too far out for them and on a dirt road) so they zeroed in on the place on Skylark. It didn't have a building so they went to several places to get a price on a steel building. They finally got the price today....$90,000!!! (almost as much as the house).

It was a good lesson for them and my husband & I agree they need to stay in CA.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:18 PM

20,524 posts, read 14,320,596 times
Quote:
Well, this was an eye-opening week for them. We didn't comment on anything they looked at. Our son-in-law had a job interview at a manufacturing plant for a maintenance position, which is what he does in CA, but when he told them he wouldn't be available until the end of Sept., I think they crossed him off their list of applicants. He hasn't heard from them. My step-daughter was so sure she could get into the hospital as a ward clerk (she had just spend $450 to take the course and get certified) but her application was rejected because a previous employer from years ago was no longer in business so her position couldn't be verified. She was shocked that they didn't scoop her up with open arms. I said there were jobs in the paper for receptionists at doctors offices, etc., but she said she wouldn't work for $9/hour.

Then we looked at several homes in their price range. Their problem is, they want an acre+ because she wants horses and he wants a building for his machinery and old cars. There was nothing (except one lovely place, but it was too far out for them and on a dirt road) so they zeroed in on the place on Skylark. It didn't have a building so they went to several places to get a price on a steel building. They finally got the price today....$90,000!!! (almost as much as the house).

It was a good lesson for them and my husband & I agree they need to stay in CA.
Agreed. At least you and your people did your "homework" and figured Kingman wouldn't be good BEFORE moving there.

Old Today, 02:54 AM

1 posts
Quote:

Thanks
Hi, I grew up on Skylark and in Kingman. I want to start with Golden Valley isn’t bad it’s more quiet and a good place to hear the coyotes. As for where Birdland is, it is a neighbourhood that consists of streets named after birds. You can find this out in Butler area, and if you’re not sure where that is it is near Northern and Route 66. Best way to find it is to find Kingman High School on a map or even go to La Senita Elementary, off of Gordon Drive and Bank Street is where the High School is located at. Once you find North Castle Rock Road, you will find Birdland. If you look closer at a map you will see that all the streets are named after birds, which is where it gets its infamous name “Birdland”. Skylark is a good street and it was quite. Kingman as a whole isn’t a bad place to live. Birdland is more where the drug addicts and I am talking about meth and that kind of **** is at. It’s sketchy and I avoid that area like it is the plague. I know this post was years ago but I want to clear up any confusions people might have and inform people of where and what Birdland is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona